Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to tell if pipes are 15mm or 1/2"

I want to install some TRVs but after an experience installing an
isolating valve on a toilet supply where I had to solder in a section
of 15mm pipe, I would like to know what pipe is used for the rads.
Ideally I would like to find out before draining the system and
dissasembling the rad valves. At the moment the pipes are painted,
but that could be scraped off of course.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeteS wrote:

I want to install some TRVs but after an experience installing an
isolating valve on a toilet supply where I had to solder in a section
of 15mm pipe, I would like to know what pipe is used for the rads.
Ideally I would like to find out before draining the system and
dissasembling the rad valves. At the moment the pipes are painted,
but that could be scraped off of course.

Makes no difference if you are using compression fittings, the outside
diameter is so similar that the 2 can be interchanged.

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeteS wrote:

I want to install some TRVs but after an experience installing an
isolating valve on a toilet supply where I had to solder in a section
of 15mm pipe, I would like to know what pipe is used for the rads.
Ideally I would like to find out before draining the system and
dissasembling the rad valves. At the moment the pipes are painted,
but that could be scraped off of course.

The OD of 1/2" and 15mm are so close to each other that 15mm compression
fittings can be used on 1/2" pipe.

It's a different matter for 3/4" pipe but you can use 22mm compression
fittings on 3/4" if you replace the olives with imperial ones.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Dec, 09:52, Mike Clarke wrote:
PeteS wrote:
I want to install some TRVs but after an experience installing an
isolating valve on a toilet supply where I had to solder in a section
of 15mm pipe, I would like to know what pipe is used for the rads.
Ideally I would like to find out before draining the system and
dissasembling *the rad valves. At the moment the pipes are painted,
but that could be scraped off of course.

The OD of 1/2" and 15mm are so close to each other that 15mm compression
fittings can be used on 1/2" pipe.

It's a different matter for 3/4" pipe but you can use 22mm compression
fittings on 3/4" if you replace the olives with imperial ones.

--
Mike Clarke

Thanks for that. There must be another reason why I couldn't get the
isolating valve to stop weeping - I thought I had cleaned it well
enought with scraping and wire wool. In the end I used a couple of end
feed solder joints to put in a new bit of pipe which worked OK.

I shall order up my TRVs with confidence :-)

Pete