Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aagghh - lbooyd amateurs

What's wrong here?

Well whilst thinking about the ceiling & it's plasterboard I thought I
get started on sorting out the cat's cradle that is the wiring in the
space above the potential ceiling.

Tracing the cooker cable and decide that there must be a split some
where, there is a hob and an oven not close to each other.

Take cover off the very tired looking cooker switch and find this ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30992670@N04/5183850583/

or

http://tinyurl.com/39vpp9n

In at the top, out at the top to the oven & out to the hob at the bottom.

All I can say is

!

The isolator by the oven was wired OK.

So oven working with phase and neutral reversed for a very long time!

Oh the out to the hob runs diagonally down the wall and through the
concrete slab to appear under the island unit - last bit OK but
diagonally I ask you?

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/11/10 12:15, The Nomad wrote:
[...]

check that its a double pole isolator,
I think old ones were single pole,
which would only cut off the Neutral,
perhaps.
[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 12:41:06 +0000, george [dicegeorge] wrote:

On 17/11/10 12:15, The Nomad wrote:
What's wrong here?

snip

Take cover off the very tired looking cooker switch and find this ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30992670@N04/5183850583/

or

http://tinyurl.com/39vpp9n

In at the top, out at the top to the oven& out to the hob at the
bottom.

snip

Nick

check that its a double pole isolator, I think old ones were single
pole,
which would only cut off the Neutral, perhaps.
[g]

It is double pole so not actually as bad as it looks but, really! And
they had twisted the red & black together to get it in the whole designed
for one on of them, so why did it not seem wrong?

Oh well, add it to the list of things I've seen but wish I hadn't

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 17, 12:15*pm, The Nomad wrote:

So oven working with phase and neutral reversed for a very long time!

Only if they followed the colour coding at the far end. A surprising
number of people seem to regard colour codes as just wire identifiers,
not necessarily as functional codes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 17, 12:15*pm, The Nomad wrote:

Oh the out to the hob runs diagonally down the wall

Looking at the age of the wiring in your picture, that was probably
still allowed (and therefore very common) when this wiring was
installed. The Cooker and Immersion wiring was like this in our house
- similar vintage at a guess.

Cheers,
David.