Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can a windowboard restrict the flow of heat from a radiator?

One of our bedrooms seems to be colder than the others for which there
are probably numerous reasons.
One that I think may be a factor is the positioning of the radiator.
It is placed under the window and the top of the radiator is about 3cm
under the window board.
The window board also extends out as far as the outside edge of the
radiator.

I'm wondering if the radiator was further off the wall (or the
windowboard didn't extend out so far) would the heat circulate better?

Any thoughts?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"johnboy" wrote in message
One of our bedrooms seems to be colder than the others for which there
are probably numerous reasons.
One that I think may be a factor is the positioning of the radiator.
It is placed under the window and the top of the radiator is about 3cm
under the window board.
The window board also extends out as far as the outside edge of the
radiator.

I'm wondering if the radiator was further off the wall (or the
windowboard didn't extend out so far) would the heat circulate better?

Any thoughts?

there are many things that could affect it..

levels of insulation
N,S,E or W
unbalanced heating
size of radiator
length of curtains...

unless the window board significantly narrows the gap at the top of the
radiator it is likely to make the circulation better by pushing the rising
air away from the wall.

You need to check that the radiator actually gets as hot as it should (does
it have a TVR on it?) and check for draughts and stuff first.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

You need to check that the radiator actually gets as hot as it should (does
it have a TVR on it?)

if it does there are bigger issues to solve first....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

You need to check that the radiator actually gets as hot as it should
(does
it have a TVR on it?)

if it does there are bigger issues to solve first....

What, about 15 ft long?
At least he could sell the mistyping and have new heating fitted.

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for yor replies, just to answer a couple of points.
The radiator does seem to get as hot as the radiator in the adjoining
room and that room does seem perfectly warm.
Ok, the rad in that room is twice the size and it's probably only 1.5
times as big!
But in that room the windowboard is not as deep and only extends as
far as the inner edge of the rad.
It does have a TRV which seems to work (but rarely reaches 60mph in 4
seconds!).

I suppose I could drop the rad but was wondering would it be easier to
move it further off the wall but I guess either option would require
disconnecting the rad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"johnboy" wrote in message

I suppose I could drop the rad but was wondering would it be easier to
move it further off the wall but I guess either option would require
disconnecting the rad.

You can probably increase the rad's output by gluing some fins to it if you
have some suitable material.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"johnboy" wrote in message
One of our bedrooms seems to be colder than the others for which there
are probably numerous reasons.
One that I think may be a factor is the positioning of the radiator.
It is placed under the window and the top of the radiator is about 3cm
under the window board.
The window board also extends out as far as the outside edge of the
radiator.

I'm wondering if the radiator was further off the wall (or the
windowboard didn't extend out so far) would the heat circulate better?

Any thoughts?

This may be a long shot, but I renovated some tongue and groove window board
in a bay bedroom window, and found that room vents had been created by
routing the tongue away in a couple of places. I thought they were splits
at first before I cleaned it all up. For now I've hidden the vents and
removed the draft. Perhaps your window board may also conceal vents?

Heat flow metering YAPH UK diy 9 October 26th 09 11:29 PM
Radiator Flow-Return position asalcedo UK diy 2 September 20th 09 08:28 AM
Lower flow after new ac/heat [email protected] Home Repair 8 August 14th 08 02:59 PM
Control heat flow [email protected] Home Repair 2 September 28th 07 10:57 PM
Radiator balancing - flow meter? Set Square UK diy 10 April 21st 05 11:43 AM