DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How much to change a pullswitch? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/313383-how-much-change-pullswitch.html)

ARWadsworth November 13th 10 02:59 PM

How much to change a pullswitch?

£436 with the firm shown on watchdog

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...og_11_11_2010/

About 12 minutes in but various other bits with the firm throughout the
programme that are worth watching.

So if anyone wants a pullswitch fitting give me a call and I'll fit it for
£400 anywhere in the country:-)

--
Adam

The Medway Handyman[_3_] November 13th 10 05:01 PM

ARWadsworth wrote:
£436 with the firm shown on watchdog

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...og_11_11_2010/

About 12 minutes in but various other bits with the firm throughout
the programme that are worth watching.

So if anyone wants a pullswitch fitting give me a call and I'll fit
it for £400 anywhere in the country:-)

Only £350 from me!

Excellent rates on wireless doorchimes as well!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Cash November 13th 10 06:29 PM

ARWadsworth wrote:
£436 with the firm shown on watchdog

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...og_11_11_2010/

About 12 minutes in but various other bits with the firm throughout
the programme that are worth watching.

So if anyone wants a pullswitch fitting give me a call and I'll fit
it for £400 anywhere in the country:-)

Adam, an even better one.

Did you see the item at the end of the program where a mother wanted to
insure her seventeen year old daughter to drive a Ford Fiesta?

The quotation for that was a mere £94,475 ...... bloody hell, this is one of
the very, very few times I'm glad I'm not seventeen!!

Cash

Robin November 13th 10 07:22 PM

The Medway Handyman wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
£436 with the firm shown on watchdog

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...og_11_11_2010/

About 12 minutes in but various other bits with the firm throughout
the programme that are worth watching.

So if anyone wants a pullswitch fitting give me a call and I'll fit
it for £400 anywhere in the country:-)

Only £350 from me!

Excellent rates on wireless doorchimes as well!

If Tony Sayer can find a spot for a pullswitch up top of Belmont or
Emley Moor I'll chip in a tenner towards your fee, or £20 if I can reach
the cord from the ground :)

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

ARWadsworth November 13th 10 07:32 PM

Robin wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
£436 with the firm shown on watchdog

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...og_11_11_2010/

About 12 minutes in but various other bits with the firm throughout
the programme that are worth watching.

So if anyone wants a pullswitch fitting give me a call and I'll fit
it for £400 anywhere in the country:-)

Only £350 from me!

Excellent rates on wireless doorchimes as well!

If Tony Sayer can find a spot for a pullswitch up top of Belmont or
Emley Moor I'll chip in a tenner towards your fee, or £20 if I can
reach the cord from the ground :)

Top of Emley Moor. I once had and an old school friend who worked there.

--
Adam

EricP November 13th 10 07:55 PM

How much to change a pullswitch?

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 17:01:16 -0000, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:
£436 with the firm shown on watchdog

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...og_11_11_2010/

About 12 minutes in but various other bits with the firm throughout
the programme that are worth watching.

So if anyone wants a pullswitch fitting give me a call and I'll fit
it for £400 anywhere in the country:-)

Only £350 from me!

Excellent rates on wireless doorchimes as well!

Suppose that will be the stick on ones. £700 for the screw on ones? :)

Hugh Jampton November 13th 10 08:56 PM

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:59:13 -0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

So if anyone wants a pullswitch fitting give me a call and I'll fit it for
£400 anywhere in the country:-)

OK - a serious question ...

I'm a pensioner. I call you out to do exactly that job. You fix it in 10
minutes.

What would you charge me ?
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

ARWadsworth November 13th 10 09:08 PM

Hugh Jampton wrote:
On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:59:13 -0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

So if anyone wants a pullswitch fitting give me a call and I'll fit
it for £400 anywhere in the country:-)

OK - a serious question ...

I'm a pensioner. I call you out to do exactly that job. You fix it in
10 minutes.

What would you charge me ?

£30 if you are local.

--
Adam

The Medway Handyman[_3_] November 13th 10 09:13 PM

Hugh Jampton wrote:
On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:59:13 -0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

So if anyone wants a pullswitch fitting give me a call and I'll fit
it for £400 anywhere in the country:-)

OK - a serious question ...

I'm a pensioner. I call you out to do exactly that job. You fix it in
10 minutes.

What would you charge me ?

I'd charge £30 because thats my minimum job fee - covers 30 mins work, but
no fixed appointment other than 'Tuesday PM' or similar.

That you are a pensioner wouldn't make a difference. Mortgages, fuel, fags,
beer, food etc are (in general) no cheaper for pensioners, why should I be?

I can't go into Tesco & ask for a discount because I've been working for
pensioners.

Sorry if that sounds harsh..

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Steve Firth November 13th 10 09:49 PM

ARWadsworth wrote:

So if anyone wants a pullswitch fitting give me a call and I'll fit it for
£400 anywhere in the country:-)

I hope you took careful note of the explanation offered by a plumbing
firm to the new plumber on the block.

On the lines of:

If you've got the part in the van tell the customer you have to get it
from a supplier. Take an hour to go and get it, charge the customer for
the time. When you get the part go to a nearby supplier and get the
cheapest part, get a receipt but tell the customer that you only deal
trade account and can't show them a receipt. When you charge the
customer mark the part up according to how wealthy they look, about
40%[1].

[1] Actually based on usual markups this seemed a bit low, most
tradesmen mark up by 50%[2] (i.e. charge the customer twice what they
paid for the part.)

[2] This is under the "daylight robbery" technique for marking up prices
where the percentage is caculated as markup/(markup+price paid) if it
were done properly (markup/price paid) it would be 100%.

js.b1 November 13th 10 10:10 PM

How much to change a pullswitch?

Main Dealer markup on parts is 100%, Cars are usually 10-15% over
invoice, and aftermarket stuff is simply fantastic markup (alloy
wheels are about 230-450% markup which is amusing for what is just a
bulk-buy, warehouse, shift, commodity-almost part).

geoff November 13th 10 10:23 PM

How much to change a pullswitch?

In message , Robin
writes
The Medway Handyman wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
£436 with the firm shown on watchdog

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...og_11_11_2010/

About 12 minutes in but various other bits with the firm throughout
the programme that are worth watching.

So if anyone wants a pullswitch fitting give me a call and I'll fit
it for £400 anywhere in the country:-)

Only £350 from me!

Excellent rates on wireless doorchimes as well!

If Tony Sayer can find a spot for a pullswitch up top of Belmont or
Emley Moor I'll chip in a tenner towards your fee, or £20 if I can reach
the cord from the ground :)

I was thinking more ... Rockall

--
geoff

Ian Jackson[_2_] November 13th 10 10:47 PM

How much to change a pullswitch?

In message , Cash
?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?@?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.? .?.?.?.?.//.com.invalid
writes
ARWadsworth wrote:
£436 with the firm shown on watchdog

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...og_11_11_2010/

About 12 minutes in but various other bits with the firm throughout
the programme that are worth watching.

So if anyone wants a pullswitch fitting give me a call and I'll fit
it for £400 anywhere in the country:-)

Adam, an even better one.

Did you see the item at the end of the program where a mother wanted to
insure her seventeen year old daughter to drive a Ford Fiesta?

The quotation for that was a mere £94,475 ...... bloody hell, this is one of
the very, very few times I'm glad I'm not seventeen!!

Who runs the insurance companies these days? Out-of-work bankers?

While undoubtedly there are some dodgy young drivers, I can't believe
that their insurance risk is anywhere as bad as the insurance companies
have suddenly found them to be.

And because of the extortionate charges of essentially unaffordable
rates, I would have thought that many young drivers are now being
tempted to risk driving without insurance. Is this what society really
wants?
--
Ian

ARWadsworth November 13th 10 10:55 PM

Steve Firth wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

So if anyone wants a pullswitch fitting give me a call and I'll fit
it for £400 anywhere in the country:-)

I hope you took careful note of the explanation offered by a plumbing
firm to the new plumber on the block.

I wonder how much they would charge to take the ****?

Or is that no longer in their job description?

--
Adam

Clive George November 13th 10 11:21 PM

How much to change a pullswitch?

On 13/11/2010 22:47, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Cash
?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?@?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.? .?.?.?.?.//.com.invalid
writes
ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

You know when you get that question, "Has an insurance company ever
refused to cover you?". Offering cover at an insane price means they can
tell you to go elsewhere without having to give you that problem in the
future.

js.b1 November 13th 10 11:24 PM

How much to change a pullswitch?

I believe younger drivers can get "reasonable" insurance rates if they
have a black box fitted which records G, time, perhaps even GPS data.
Basically if someone IS using the car for work, then it makes things
viable.

[email protected] November 14th 10 03:04 AM

How much to change a pullswitch?

On Nov 13, 2:59*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
436 with the firm shown on watchdog

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...og_11_11_2010/

About 12 minutes in but various other bits with the firm throughout the
programme that are worth watching.

So if anyone wants a pullswitch fitting give me a call and I'll fit it for
400 anywhere in the country:-)

--
Adam

I found it hard to understand why her kitchen fitter (grand?)son
hadn't done it for her, or got the sparks he doubtless works with to
do it. But if it was the kind of pullswitch where the cord goes
through a bead dangling just below the head, there's no electrickery
involved anyway.

Chris

The Medway Handyman[_3_] November 14th 10 10:08 AM

Steve Firth wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

So if anyone wants a pullswitch fitting give me a call and I'll fit
it for £400 anywhere in the country:-)

I hope you took careful note of the explanation offered by a plumbing
firm to the new plumber on the block.

On the lines of:

If you've got the part in the van tell the customer you have to get it
from a supplier. Take an hour to go and get it, charge the customer
for the time.

Thats plain dishonest. If I have the part on the van I supply it & mark it
up. If I have to go & get it there are 2 scenarios. If its a part a
handyman could be expected to carry, I don't charge for the time getting it,
but I will still mark it up. If its a part I couldn't be expected to carry,
I charge for the time & mark it up.

For example, I don't carry multiquik WC connectors as there are about 6
variations. If I were a plumber I would carry one of each.

When you get the part go to a nearby supplier and get
the cheapest part, get a receipt but tell the customer that you only
deal trade account and can't show them a receipt.

Why should you show the customer the receipt? Would a garage show you the
receipt for the parts they fitted during a service? Would Tesco show you
their receipt for the loaf of bread you bought?

I itemise parts & labour on the bill, but the receipt is mine.

The only exception to that is if its an expensive item & the customer is VAT
registered (I'm not). In that case I ask for cash from them, get the item &
give them the change & the VAT receipt.

When you charge the
customer mark the part up according to how wealthy they look, about
40%[1].

[1] Actually based on usual markups this seemed a bit low, most
tradesmen mark up by 50%[2] (i.e. charge the customer twice what they
paid for the part.)

[2] This is under the "daylight robbery" technique for marking up
prices where the percentage is caculated as markup/(markup+price
paid) if it were done properly (markup/price paid) it would be 100%.

Small traders especially need to mark up parts. All business's do.

My general policy is to buy online & sell at Homebase price - 10%. That
gives me a very good margin because the Homebase et al mark up is far higher
than any small trader - 400 - 800% in some cases.

For example - 300mm flexible tap connector (compression) - I can buy for £1,
Homebase sell them at £8.99 - and they must pay much less than £1.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

ad[_2_] November 14th 10 03:02 PM

How much to change a pullswitch?

On Nov 14, 10:08*am, "The Medway Handyman" davidno-spam-
wrote:

The only exception to that is if its an expensive item & the customer is VAT
registered (I'm not). *In that case I ask for cash from them, get the item &
give them the change & the VAT receipt.

And I wonder how many 'small traders' charge VAT when they aren't even
registered for it ?. After all
most single females over a certain age will believe anything - my
neighbour being a case in point,
so that's another 17.5% profit on top of the already overinflated
price. I used to be a freelance programmer and was
VAT registered. No agency would pay ANY vat to me until they had seen
and confirmed my VAT status. Customers
should make the same stance to Joe Bloggs in his white van.

Small traders especially need to mark up parts. *All business's do.

RUBBISH. markups should be banned by law along with the whole concept
of trade and retail prices. Why for example should Travis Perkins
charge some customers more than others just because some are
'traders'.

The price you charge the customer should be the price you paid.
Included in your bill should be the amount of labour charge, itemising
any costs/time involved in obtaining it, then VAT if you are
registered. This is what transparency is all about. Buying cheap on
the internet and then whistling 'List Price' out of your rear-end to
the customer is immoral and should be illegal too.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

dennis@home November 14th 10 03:31 PM

wrote:

The only exception to that is if its an expensive item & the customer is
VAT
registered (I'm not). In that case I ask for cash from them, get the
item &
give them the change & the VAT receipt.

And I wonder how many 'small traders' charge VAT when they aren't even
registered for it ?.

Only the ones committing fraud.
Incidentally claiming VAT back on stuff that is not passed on to a third
party is also fraud.
The whole concept of VAT is that its the end user that pays.
It is illegal for a company to buy something, use it and then claim the VAT
back.
That means the VAT has not been paid and a fraud has taken place.

John November 14th 10 04:12 PM

&
[...]

The principal was that a trader would buy lots of items and only have one
invoice - a retail customer would buy less at each transaction. A
transaction has an admin / labour element.

The Medway Handyman[_3_] November 14th 10 04:40 PM

ad wrote:
On Nov 14, 10:08 am, "The Medway Handyman" davidno-spam-
wrote:

SNIP

Small traders especially need to mark up parts. All business's do.

RUBBISH. markups should be banned by law along with the whole concept
of trade and retail prices. Why for example should Travis Perkins
charge some customers more than others just because some are
'traders'.

What colour is the sky on your planet?

The policy of places like Howdens, Travis Perkins, Magnet etc is entirely
lawful and makes good business sense. Their target market is the trade,
they don't want Joe Public clogging up the place.

Traders buy much more than Joe Public does, which is why they get better
prices. The reverse of the situation also applies. I spent £6K with Wickes
last year - why should I have to pay the same as someone who spent £20?

The price you charge the customer should be the price you paid.

Only if you are an idiot who wants to go skint.

Do you seriously think that your garage charge you cost price for brake pads
& oil? Does the bloke who repairs your washing machine/boiler/TV charge
cost price for the parts?

Of course not you fool. If they did, labour rates would have to be higher
to maintain revenue and you would moan about that.

Included in your bill should be the amount of labour charge, itemising
any costs/time involved in obtaining it, then VAT if you are
registered. This is what transparency is all about. Buying cheap on
the internet and then whistling 'List Price' out of your rear-end to
the customer is immoral and should be illegal too.

If the customer has the knowledge & experience to know exactly what is
required, and knows the best place to buy it at the right quality & price
thats fine with me.

But they don't. That knowledge & experience has a price.

Never been self employed have you? Don't. You will go broke in a matter of
months.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

The Medway Handyman[_3_] November 14th 10 05:02 PM

wrote:

The only exception to that is if its an expensive item & the
customer is VAT
registered (I'm not). In that case I ask for cash from them, get
the item &
give them the change & the VAT receipt.

And I wonder how many 'small traders' charge VAT when they aren't
even registered for it ?.

Only the ones committing fraud.
Incidentally claiming VAT back on stuff that is not passed on to a
third party is also fraud.

The whole concept of VAT is that its the end user that pays.
It is illegal for a company to buy something, use it and then claim
the VAT back.
That means the VAT has not been paid and a fraud has taken place.

Dennis, we all know you are an idiot, but you have excelled yourself this
time.

A VAT registered trader offsets all of his input VAT against his output VAT
& gives the difference to HMRC. VAT on fuel, tools, heating, lighting, PPE
whatever is all input VAT and isn't passed on to anyone.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

tim.... November 14th 10 05:03 PM

How much to change a pullswitch?

o.uk...
ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

They don't have to be so clever to avoid this, they can "decline to quote"
which is not the same thing as a refusal.

I live in a listed property and even though I only need contents insurance
it is surprising how many companies refuse to quote because of this alone
(somewhere near 80% of online providers)

tim

geoff November 14th 10 05:21 PM

How much to change a pullswitch?

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

wrote:

The only exception to that is if its an expensive item & the
customer is VAT
registered (I'm not). In that case I ask for cash from them, get
the item &
give them the change & the VAT receipt.

And I wonder how many 'small traders' charge VAT when they aren't even
registered for it ?.

Only the ones committing fraud.
Incidentally claiming VAT back on stuff that is not passed on to a
third party is also fraud.

Rubbish

To quote from the HMRC site (I think that they have more of a clue about
it than you do, although you might like to try and tell them that they
are wrong if you like)

"Generally, you can reclaim VAT that you pay when you buy goods or
services for your business. This VAT is called input tax by HMRC"

So, for example, if a window gets broken, if VAT is charged on the
repair, this can be offset against VAT payable, likewise, the VAT on a
company vehicle, or, in fact, any legitimate expense incurred in running
the business.

My heating, lighting, fuel, and other expenses which are nothing to do
directly with what I produce are all offsettable against the VAT I
charge on them

You really are a stupid, clueless 'kin retard

Would you like to actually admit that you are wrong here?

geoff November 14th 10 05:27 PM

How much to change a pullswitch?

In message
, ad
writes
wrote:

[...]

Why?

I have a product to sell, you want to buy, we agree a price, or I quote
a price and you accept it or not

It has nothing to do with what I paid for it

If I buy 1000 relays for a price, do you expect to buy from me at the
unit price I bought them for ?

--
geoff

ad[_2_] November 14th 10 06:25 PM

How much to change a pullswitch?

On Nov 14, 5:02*pm, "The Medway Handyman" davidno-spam-
wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

What I want is complete tranparency. I want to know exactly what a job
costs. If that means labour rates should go up - fair enough,
I don't think this is unreasonable. What is unreasonable is to told
that the 'list price' is £799 when the trader only pays £399.

A registered business can buy goods, claim back the VAT and not sell
them again - this is perfectly legitimate. If you buy a new computer
for your business you can claim back the VAT. What I am concerned
about is the people who just love to lie and bull**** to elderly
people
(who tend to be more trusting) and resort to any trick going to
overcharge them.

My elderly female neighbour was quoted an average of £2500 to have her
porch
and its outer door replaced with Upvc. The first quote I got for my
identical semi-detached half of the porch was £984. Why the
difference ?.
The bloke she ultimately selected spent at least half an hour
bull****ting her with remarks like 'We' will have to check out costs
and price it up.
(for 'we' read one bloke, white van and a mate who he pays cash to) .
'It might have to be 18 mil plywood' (its a flat roof originally
constructed with
one inch chipboard in 1976, for christs sake how much does a piece of
18 mil plywood 1200 by 900 cost ?- even I know that a full sheet is
about £35 in wickes. then he spent the rest of the time going on about
his family - 'emily is going to college blah blah blah' - classic
rogue
trader behaviour. He finally did the job, used an angle grinder to cut
the original chipboard, didn't bother to replace a 3 by 2 noggin that
was growing
mushrooms - just nailed the 11 mil OSB (whippy as hell) into it. And
the new outer door hinged the wrong way !. The original was hinged on
the left
but the replacement required my neighbour to get right into her 4 foot
by 3 foot 6 porch with her sholley and then struggle to close the
outer porch door
before she could open the house front door. A few weeks later he was
back and changed it for a correctly handed door - hopefully she
refused to pay for the
first attempt. The replacement door has now sagged which makes it very
difficult to open or close. So he hasn't bothered to put the setting
blocks
in place - and I don't think that is down to incompetence, he has done
it deliberately. Hopefully he is now stuck with the door and frame he
initially
fitted.

Oh, and AFAIK Wickes does not descriminate between someone spending
£6K a year and someone spending £20, so why use them as an example.

Joe Public pays cash on the nail - something that even Travis Perkins
should appreciate. Who would you prefer, someone who pays immediately,
or someone who 'promises' to pay in 30 days and then goes 'bust'
without paying anything ?.

dennis@home November 14th 10 06:53 PM

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

Dennis, we all know you are an idiot, but you have excelled yourself this
time.

A VAT registered trader offsets all of his input VAT against his output
VAT & gives the difference to HMRC. VAT on fuel, tools, heating,
lighting, PPE whatever is all input VAT and isn't passed on to anyone.

You are the idiot as usual for not reading what I said but making up your
own story in your tiny mind.
Try understanding what is said rather than thinking anyone actually cares
what *you* think.

geoff November 14th 10 07:00 PM

How much to change a pullswitch?

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...

Dennis, we all know you are an idiot, but you have excelled yourself
this time.

A VAT registered trader offsets all of his input VAT against his
output VAT & gives the difference to HMRC. VAT on fuel, tools,
heating, lighting, PPE whatever is all input VAT and isn't passed on
to anyone.

You are the idiot as usual for not reading what I said but making up
your own story in your tiny mind.
Try understanding what is said rather than thinking anyone actually
cares what *you* think.

Denise, you said

"Incidentally claiming VAT back on stuff that is not passed on to a
third party is also fraud."

Which is just ****ing wrong

full stop

retard

--
geoff

dennis@home November 14th 10 07:07 PM

"geoff" wrote in message

Would you like to actually admit that you are wrong here?

No, but I will if you paste the link so I can check the source, I wouldn't
trust *you* to tell me the time.

geoff November 14th 10 07:43 PM

"geoff" wrote in message

Would you like to actually admit that you are wrong here?

No, but I will if you paste the link so I can check the source, I
wouldn't trust *you* to tell me the time.

There you go SFB

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/...ng/reclaim.htm

now you can admit you are wrong, you stupid retard

--
geoff

dennis@home November 14th 10 08:47 PM

How much to change a pullswitch?

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

Would you like to actually admit that you are wrong here?

No, but I will if you paste the link so I can check the source, I wouldn't
trust *you* to tell me the time.

There you go SFB

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/...ng/reclaim.htm

now you can admit you are wrong, you stupid retard

OK.

However it does raise an interesting point..

someone who is not VAT registered like TMH would pay VAT if he supplies the
goods..
Someone who gets TMH to buy the goods and then claims back the goods is
assisting TMH in avoiding registering for VAT..
however he does this at a cost.. he loses all rights as a consumer if the
goods are bad.

If he buys it from TMH then TMH would be responsible for it working, if not
TMH isn't responsible unless he botches the install..
If he refused to "buy" the goods and TMH did, the customer would still be
able to reclaim the VAT and have TMH responsible for it being OK. I would do
the later so TMH would have to fulfil his contract and TMH would have to
seek recompense from the supplier if there was a problem, not the customer.

Tony Bryer[_2_] November 14th 10 09:40 PM

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 15:31:34 -0000 Dennis@home wrote :
Incidentally claiming VAT back on stuff that is not passed on to a third
party is also fraud.

Rubbish. When I was in the UK, my company claimed back all the VAT paid out
for things like printer consumables, software, web hosting etc.

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on' Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.eurobeam.co.uk www.greentram.com

geoff November 14th 10 09:52 PM

How much to change a pullswitch?

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

Would you like to actually admit that you are wrong here?

No, but I will if you paste the link so I can check the source, I
wouldn't trust *you* to tell me the time.

There you go SFB

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/...ng/reclaim.htm

now you can admit you are wrong, you stupid retard

OK.

Was that "OK, yes, I was wrong "?

However it does raise an interesting point..

someone who is not VAT registered like TMH would pay VAT if he supplies
the goods..
Someone who gets TMH to buy the goods and then claims back the goods is
assisting TMH in avoiding registering for VAT..
however he does this at a cost.. he loses all rights as a consumer if
the goods are bad.

It is no different from someone buying a boiler and asking an installer
to fit it for him

If the goods are faulty, he still has his rights as a consumer

If you had a clue about business, an example like this cannot be
construed as avoiding VAt registration, unless there is PROOF of
collusion to evade registration (e.g. A letter stating words to that
effect

If he buys it from TMH then TMH would be responsible for it working, if
not TMH isn't responsible unless he botches the install..
If he refused to "buy" the goods and TMH did, the customer would still
be able to reclaim the VAT and have TMH responsible for it being OK. I
would do the later so TMH would have to fulfil his contract and TMH
would have to seek recompense from the supplier if there was a problem,
not the customer.

Its up to the customer how he wants to use TMH's services, not something
which the VAT man would be interested in

So, the answer is OK, yes, you were wrong regarding claiming VAT on
expenditure, then

A simple yes or no would suffice

--
geoff

geoff November 14th 10 09:55 PM

How much to change a pullswitch?

In message , Tony Bryer
writes
On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 15:31:34 -0000 Dennis@home wrote :
Incidentally claiming VAT back on stuff that is not passed on to a third
party is also fraud.

Rubbish. When I was in the UK, my company claimed back all the VAT paid out
for things like printer consumables, software, web hosting etc.

Of course its rubbish

Getting denise to admit that he is wrong is the hard part

--
geoff

dennis@home November 14th 10 10:34 PM

How much to change a pullswitch?

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

[...]

Of course its different.
He has to get someone to fix it and then claim back the costs from the
supplier rather than telling TMH to fix it.
If TMH didn't supply it then TMH could just say no as he had fulfilled his
obligation and then the customer has to find someone else.

If you had a clue about business, an example like this cannot be construed
as avoiding VAt registration, unless there is PROOF of collusion to evade
registration (e.g. A letter stating words to that effect

Of course its avoiding it, who said that it was wrong to do so?
Do you have a guilty feeling?

dennis@home November 14th 10 10:35 PM

How much to change a pullswitch?

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Tony Bryer
writes
On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 15:31:34 -0000 Dennis@home wrote :
Incidentally claiming VAT back on stuff that is not passed on to a third
party is also fraud.

Rubbish. When I was in the UK, my company claimed back all the VAT paid
out
for things like printer consumables, software, web hosting etc.

Of course its rubbish

Getting denise to admit that he is wrong is the hard part

Getting geof to understand plain English is the hard part.

The Medway Handyman[_3_] November 14th 10 11:50 PM

Wriggling again you slipperly ****?

You are 100% totally wrong and have posted complete ****e yet again.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

geoff November 15th 10 12:02 AM

How much to change a pullswitch?

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

[...]

Of course its avoiding it,

Not in the evasive sense that you are implying

who said that it was wrong to do so?

You were implying it

Do you have a guilty feeling?

I am VAT registered, I have been for 18 years

I've had a VAT visit, no problems, It's left to the accountant

Oh look you have accidentally snipped the bit where I asked you to
confirm that you were wrong

Could you please confirm that you were wrong on the subject of what you
can claim against VAT not directly attributable to what you are selling
?

A simple "yes, I was wrong" would suffice

--
geoff

The Medway Handyman[_3_] November 15th 10 12:04 AM

How much to change a pullswitch?

dennis@home wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

Would you like to actually admit that you are wrong here?

No, but I will if you paste the link so I can check the source, I
wouldn't trust *you* to tell me the time.

There you go SFB

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/...ng/reclaim.htm

now you can admit you are wrong, you stupid retard

OK.

So you admit to being 100% wrong?

However it does raise an interesting point..

someone who is not VAT registered like TMH would pay VAT if he
supplies the goods..

Correct.

Someone who gets TMH to buy the goods and then claims back the goods
is assisting TMH in avoiding registering for VAT..

Someone buying goods from me cannot possibly claim the VAT **** for brains,
because I'm not registered and don't have a VAT number. Unless I use their
cash to buy the goods in their name & give then=m the VAT reciept - which is
no different from them buying the goods themselves.

No he doesn't you ****ing idiot.

If he buys it from TMH then TMH would be responsible for it working, if
not TMH isn't responsible unless he botches the install..

For once you are right.

If he refused to "buy" the goods and TMH did, the customer would
still be able to reclaim the VAT and have TMH responsible for it
being OK.

No he wouldn't you idiot. You have no idea how VAT works. I'm not
registered, so I don't charge VAT seperately. The client cannot claim any
input VAT from my invoice.

I would do the later so TMH would have to fulfil his
contract and TMH would have to seek recompense from the supplier if
there was a problem, not the customer.

If you did the latter **** for brains, you couldn't use the VAT element as
input.

My charges would therefore be for fitting the customers item. It would be
their responsibility for sorting out any problem with the supplier they
bought the goods from.

So, once again, despite wrigging like the worm you are, you have made a
complete & utter prat of yourself again.

I await your appology.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk