Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default lighting

I was looking at the lights in our local hospital - they appear to have 2
CFLs horizontally in the fittings with a decent reflector. The light quality
seems good. Is there anything significantly different with these CFLs to
those we get at home? - the light quality seemed good and I was thinking
about them for my kitchen.
Are such fittings available for domestic use? Preferably surface mount.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 23:01:41 -0000 John wrote :
I was looking at the lights in our local hospital - they appear to have 2
CFLs horizontally in the fittings with a decent reflector. The light quality
seems good. Is there anything significantly different with these CFLs to
those we get at home? - the light quality seemed good and I was thinking
about them for my kitchen.
Are such fittings available for domestic use? Preferably surface mount.

I put similar single tube louvre reflector fittings over my worktops in my
kitchen back in Twickenham. Excellent shadow free light for working under.
They came from eBay. New owner skipped them, probably in favour of nasty
shadow-inducing 50W halogen spots.

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on' Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.eurobeam.co.uk www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 7, 11:01*pm, "John" wrote:
I was looking at the lights in our local hospital - they appear to have 2
CFLs horizontally in the fittings with a decent reflector. The light quality
seems good. Is there anything significantly different with these CFLs to
those we get at home? - the light quality seemed good and I was thinking
about them for my kitchen.
Are such fittings available for domestic use? Preferably surface mount.

Either PL or T5 , PLb is single ended U , T5 is double ended, 5mm
dianeter.

Commercial lighting suppliers rather than B&Q and ebay after you get
over the sticker shock of commercial lighting prices.

The advantage is unlike consumer grade CFL, T5 lamps are available in
excellent whites, paging Mr Gabriel for a better explanation.

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was looking at the lights in our local hospital - they appear to have 2
CFLs horizontally in the fittings with a decent reflector. The light quality
seems good. Is there anything significantly different with these CFLs to
those we get at home? - the light quality seemed good and I was thinking
about them for my kitchen.
Are such fittings available for domestic use? Preferably surface mount.

Didn't you prise them away from their ceiling tiles or whatever to
find the make/model?
Phone the hospital leccy and ask! Ask for the engineer - I've always
found hospital engineers very helpful and down-to-earth
(no pun intended).

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 7 Nov,
"John" wrote:

I was looking at the lights in our local hospital - they appear to have 2
CFLs horizontally in the fittings with a decent reflector. The light
quality seems good. Is there anything significantly different with these
CFLs to those we get at home? - the light quality seemed good and I was
thinking about them for my kitchen. Are such fittings available for
domestic use? Preferably surface mount.

Something like this?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GLCZ218.html

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 7 Nov,
"John" wrote:

I was looking at the lights in our local hospital - they appear to have 2
CFLs horizontally in the fittings with a decent reflector. The light
quality seems good. Is there anything significantly different with these
CFLs to those we get at home? - the light quality seemed good and I was
thinking about them for my kitchen. Are such fittings available for
domestic use? Preferably surface mount.

Something like this?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GLCZ218.html

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Thanks - I missed that on TLC - I looked in Fluorescent. Not a bad price. I
haven't got my head round recessed yet though. I was hoping to avoid it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2010 00:04, Adam Aglionby wrote:

T5 is double ended, 5mm dianeter.

Oops... 5/8 in. diameter, aka 16 mm :-)

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 8, 9:29*am, Andy Wade wrote:
On 08/11/2010 00:04, Adam Aglionby wrote:

T5 is double ended, 5mm dianeter.

Oops... 5/8 in. diameter, aka 16 mm :-)

--
Andy

Nope, confusingly , 5mm , T8 is 8mm and oldest style tubes are
T12 ,er, 12mm. T4 is the non standard 4mm under cabinet tube that is
made by various Far Eastern makers in their own lengths.

Things with MR reflectors lamps, like MR16 , are in 1/8"s MR16 2" ,
MR11, 1 5/8" and cute MR8 , 1"

PAR are similar , PAR56 7" lamp PAR64 8" lamp think the old money
measurements are down to US lamp standards , almost all lamps have a
three letter ANSI code , American National Standards Institute,.

No idea why fluro tubes ended up metric, but be interested to know.

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2010 12:25, Adam Aglionby wrote:
Nope, confusingly , 5mm , T8 is 8mm and oldest style tubes are
T12 ,er, 12mm. T4 is the non standard 4mm under cabinet tube that is
made by various Far Eastern makers in their own lengths.

Sorry, that's just plain wrong. One 'T' is 1/8 inch or about 3mm (lamp
sizes tend to get rounded a bit).

In flu tubes T5 is 16 mm, T8 is 26 mm and T12 is 38 mm.

In LEDs (wire ended) T1 is 3 mm and T1-3/4 is 5 mm.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 9, 1:01*am, Andy Wade wrote:
On 08/11/2010 12:25, Adam Aglionby wrote:

Nope, confusingly , 5mm , T8 is 8mm and oldest style tubes are
T12 ,er, 12mm. T4 is the non standard 4mm under cabinet tube that is
made by various Far Eastern makers in their own lengths.

Sorry, that's just plain wrong. One 'T' is 1/8 inch or about 3mm (lamp
sizes tend to get rounded a bit).

In flu tubes T5 is 16 mm, T8 is 26 mm and T12 is 38 mm.

In LEDs (wire ended) T1 is 3 mm and T1-3/4 is 5 mm.

--
Andy

Do,you are, of course , right, just as well wasn`t handling a Mars
orbiter..

Will consult my dealer about the strength of crack they have been
supplying me..

Cheers
Adam

Track Lighting and Other Lighting [email protected][_2_] Home Repair 0 October 31st 08 05:10 AM
LED lighting [email protected] UK diy 5 April 19th 08 08:38 AM
2 way lighting. Matthew UK diy 2 October 1st 07 11:17 PM
kitchen lighting: track system with pendant lighting [email protected] UK diy 4 October 30th 06 11:02 PM
LED lighting Chris UK diy 4 June 14th 06 11:36 AM