Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default AEG Drill warranty Beware !!

I am passing this on to those who may have any AEG power tools, beware
of any warranty claims or repairs under warranty. My trust AEG cordless
18 volt drill has a faulty chuck, its only 6 months old so I returned it
to toolstation for a repair or replacement, the sales person was ready
to just exchange it but for some reason the computer he used told him I
need an AEG RMA number before he can swap it out.

So yesterday I tried calling AEG uk but the phone was always busy, I
then fired off a polite email requesting a RMA and described the fault
and included the serial number.

I received a replay this morning stating that the chuck is not covered
under warranty but as a good will gesture they will replace it if I send
the faulty chuck to them.

It seems AEG power tools are serviced by Ryobi Technologies UK.

I would have thought that a power dill was useless without its chuck and
the chuck, being an integral part of the drill was in fact covered under
its warranty.

I wonder if there is any way of dealing with this problem, the drill
cost 199 quid so its not as if I cna say sod it and buy another.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martop wrote:
[...]

Your contract is with Toolstation, not AEG.

Sale of goods act etc.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2010 12:44, Martop wrote:
[...]

If you bought it as a private consumer for non-trade use then you have a
claim under the sale of goods legislation against Toolstation or under
the terms of any warranty issued. Also possibly a section 75 of the
Consumer Credit Act 1974 claim or Visa chargeback if you bought it with
plastic.

If you bought it for commercial purposes you are probably stuck with the
trading/warranty conditions of Toolstation and AEG.

Personally I would send back the chuck on the understanding that it is
evidence that remains your property and must be preserved until you have
received a replacement.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2010 13:53, Invisible Man wrote:

If you bought it as a private consumer for non-trade use then you have a
claim under the sale of goods legislation against Toolstation or under
the terms of any warranty issued. Also possibly a section 75 of the
Consumer Credit Act 1974 claim or Visa chargeback if you bought it with
plastic.

If you bought it for commercial purposes you are probably stuck with the
trading/warranty conditions of Toolstation and AEG.

Personally I would send back the chuck on the understanding that it is
evidence that remains your property and must be preserved until you have
received a replacement.

I bought it for home use as we just moved home at the time, talk about
jump through hoops for a warranty, tool station wont deal with it, I
called them today and they refused stating some restraints AEG imposed
on the warranty.

I tried removing the chuck and I got as far as removing the screw but
the chuck wont come off, its seized tight, I don't want to go any
further with removing it in case it gets damaged. If I could get it off
I would just replace it with a new one from a different company as its a
peacock chuck and was never very good.

I guess I will have to pass it on to trading standards or consumer
advice as tool station and AEG refuse to deal with it, maybe they can
offer some advice and help sort it out.

At the time of purchase there was an offer to extend the warranty to 3
years from its standard 2 years by registering with the Milwaukee tool
club, it offers home collection for repairs, or it would do if I could
log on with the details the site sent me :-(

If I would have known how hard it was to repair this dam thing I would
have bought an el cheapo and binned it if it went faulty, paying out for
a good make seems to be fraught with problems.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 14:09:37 +0000, Martop wrote:

I bought it for home use as we just moved home at the time, talk about
jump through hoops for a warranty, tool station wont deal with it,

So that means you bought it as a "consumer" your contract is with
Toolstation. I'd push for a replacement failing that a full refund,
under the Sales of Goods Act.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martop wrote:
[...]

I have to say my experience with Makita has been the exact opposite. Bought
a Makita DF010DSE 7.2v drill driver. After 3 months it developed a minor
fault, called Makita & they said to take it into a local agent.

Took it into the agent on Tuesday who said it would have to go back to
Makita. Friday morning they phoned to say it was back - Makita had replaced
it with a brand new one.

I shall avoid AEG after your experiance.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have to say my experience with Makita has been the exact opposite. Bought
a Makita DF010DSE 7.2v drill driver. After 3 months it developed a minor
fault, called Makita& they said to take it into a local agent.

Took it into the agent on Tuesday who said it would have to go back to
Makita. Friday morning they phoned to say it was back - Makita had replaced
it with a brand new one.

I shall avoid AEG after your experiance.

After a few phone calls and reading a few of the replies here I 'may'
have found a way to resolve it thanks to my cc company. Its a last
resort, stuff AEG and tool station, passing the buck to each other just
to **** off customers and wriggle out of their responsibilities :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2010 14:31, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 14:09:37 +0000, Martop wrote:

I bought it for home use as we just moved home at the time, talk about
jump through hoops for a warranty, tool station wont deal with it,

So that means you bought it as a "consumer" your contract is with
Toolstation. I'd push for a replacement failing that a full refund,
under the Sales of Goods Act.

I mentioned that to the lady who I talked to at tool station, she
suggested I take it up with AEG as I seemed know enough about the sales
of good act.

I really don't want to resort to that, from memory its tool station I
deal with as a customer.... 'no sir its AEG, they impose the terms ect'
I tried politely to push the point but it fell on deaf ears, though she
did give me the phone number of AEG that I already had tried in vain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2010 15:27, Martop wrote:
[...]

The answer for the rest of us seems to be clear. If Toolstation seek to
evade they legal liabilities and give wrong information don't buy from them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martop wrote:
[...]

Martop,

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended), then as it was a retail sale
(not business to business) then Tool Station is responsible for rectifying
defective goods and *NOT* AEG - that is the law and she is wrong!!

See the fact sheet using the link below:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...page38311.html

Or if there are problems with the link, use this tinyurl one
http://tinyurl.com/3yhmqe9

Remember though, after around 30 days from the date of purchase, you cannot
demand a refund or replacement automatically and after six months, you have
to prove that the fault was inherent and caused by a material or
manufacturing defect.

If Tool Station still persist in their response, simply contact the Trading
Standards Officer at your local council and he/she will assist you.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2010 15:50, Invisible Man wrote:
[...]

After this experience I wont be gong anywhere near tool station for
anything that has a warranty on it !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway Handyman
scribeth thus
Martop wrote:
[...]

Ere tis

Used a few quotes from this to bring a car retailer inline earlier this
year)

Interesting site .. some real olde stuff on there, magna carta fer
instance!..

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Thanks for those links, its on my to do list tomorrow morning, tool
station are not interested that I bought as a home user, they wont deal
with it full stop. I will soon get to the bottom of this mess one way or
another, Trading standards and the CC company should be able to help. I
just find it bewildering that tool station are behaving in this way, I
thought they where a pretty decent company :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Toolstation have got zero wiggle room here. It is their responsibility
to resolve ultimately. They may well have an agreement with
TTI/AEG/Ryobi to handle warranty claims and after sales service, and in
many cases this may be the easiest way to proceed. However, since you
have no contractual connection to AEG, and there is no agreement that TS
can enter into with a third party (i.e. AEG) that will alter your basic
rights of remedy as a consumer, its TS where the buck stops!

If you can't get TS to play ball, then you can force the situation by
either getting the cc company involved - they will force their hand by
issuing a chargeback against them, or by suing them. The latter is
pretty straightforward online through the small claims court. It will
cost you £30 to do, but you can add that to the amount you seek to recover.

Thanks for that, its easier to understand when someone else simplifies
it :-) I dont know whats worse, doing a charge back or going to court,
both seem very daunting when the matter can easily be resolved with a
simple repair or exchange, I thought that was the idea of offering a
warranty. I will have to wait till tomorrow and see how this pans out.

The most stupid part of this is I bought a good make and it cost me a
fair bit as I never had a expensive drill before, thinking it would
outlive me for all the use its had, all the time the lady of the house
was behind me suggesting 'I wont use it that much, get a cheaper one', I
should have listened :-( insert red face here
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Martop
writes

[...]

I've had this sort issue occur with a computer retailer. This was
regarding a computer monitor. They had a similar arrangement (which is
quite common) where the manufacturers dealt with the after sales and
warranty claims if there is a problem.

I've no problem with that in principle, but they had a similar lack of
understanding as regarding this arrangement and the responsibilities
under the SOG legislation.

Unfortunately the manuf. after sales was useless (I forget the details,
but it was one of those situations where they forget phone calls, lose
details, couldn't find the model (!) etc. ). After about a week of
faffing about I went back to the retailer. after fruitless phonecalls
and emails over a day or so, I just sent an e-mail (backed up with a
registered letter) notifying them that I'd be taking action in the small
claims court. They soon replaced the monitor then.....

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 8, 4:21 am, Martop wrote:

After a few phone calls and reading a few of the replies here I 'may'
have found a way to resolve it thanks to my cc company. Its a last
resort, stuff AEG and tool station, passing the buck to each other just
to **** off customers and wriggle out of their responsibilities :-(

AEG and other manufacturers should be aware of the power of Google.
Always Google the name of a company before buying their products.
I see that this thread is already No. 3 in the results for a search
for [AEG Drill warranty].
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martop" wrote in message
On 07/11/2010 14:31, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 14:09:37 +0000, Martop wrote:

I bought it for home use as we just moved home at the time, talk about
jump through hoops for a warranty, tool station wont deal with it,

So that means you bought it as a "consumer" your contract is with
Toolstation. I'd push for a replacement failing that a full refund,
under the Sales of Goods Act.

I mentioned that to the lady who I talked to at tool station, she
suggested I take it up with AEG as I seemed know enough about the sales of
good act.

Really helpful as AEG have nothing to do with the SOGA.
A minor point.. if its more than six months old you have to prove the fault
existed when you bought it, less than six months they have to prove it
didn't.

I really don't want to resort to that, from memory its tool station I deal
with as a customer.... 'no sir its AEG, they impose the terms ect' I tried
politely to push the point but it fell on deaf ears, though she did give
me the phone number of AEG that I already had tried in vain.

Take it back and tell them its their responsibility in law no matter what
terms AEG has put on them, they are nothing to do with your contract with
them.
At the very least they should send it back to AEG for you and deal with AEG
on your behalf, even currys would do that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I am a bit surprised by TS not being more helpful. I suspect if you sent
them a letter you may get a better response. I am less surprised by
Ryobi though. I find it hard to understand why they think a chuck is not
a warranty item. In the first year (without any arguments, and as a part
of your statuary rights) - all of the drill is a warranty item I would
suggest - you have an expectation of it being free from defects in
manufacturing and materials, and for it to last a reasonable time. Where
"reasonable" has no solid legal definition, but is typically at least
one year, and can be as many as six.

(My experiences dealing with companies like Makita, has been they
usually bend over backwards to exceed your expectations on support and
service).

Indeed that's why some of my equipment is Makita...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 7, 12:44*pm, Martop wrote:
[...]

I've also had bad experience with toolstation, and I'm rather cynical
now.

In short AEG and any agreement between AEG and toolstation is simply
of no relevance to you or your situation. You bought from toolstation,
your purchase contract is with toolstation and noone else. In law the
tool should be good for 12 months for a cheap brand, longer for brands
like AEG, and if its not, its down to them to put it right, regardless
of the warranty situation. (And yes, the law in full is more complex.)

If you send a letter to toolstation's registered head office,
preferably signature on delivery, stating the relevant Act they are in
breach of, and that you will issue a small claims court summons within
14 days if they dont rectify the problem in the way you state, the
odds are high that they will immediately do as you request, as it
sounds like they have very little hope of winning such a case, and
it'll only cost them in legal costs plus a lost customer.

If they dont, then go ahead with small claims court. Its a simple,
cheap and fairly informal process, nothing like a courtroom at all.
Its designed to be used by people with more or less no legal
knowledge, without representation, and without the risk of having to
pay costs if you lose.

There is room for facts you've not mentioned to change the situation.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

After reading all the reply's to my post, I realise where I went wrong
with toolstation, I wasn't firm enough and should have took it further
while I was in the store or talking to the lady on the phone.

First thing is to talk to trading standards so they are on board so to
speak, I suppose they will suggest contacting tool station again and
stating the facts and then move on from there. The CC company are
already to run with this too but I have to wait till their main office
is open on Monday morning.

I find the idea of court a worry but if it comes to it I will use that
option.

Thank you to all those who have replied, I have been enlightened as to
my options :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 7 Nov,
Martop wrote:

I really don't want to resort to that, from memory its tool station I
deal with as a customer.... 'no sir its AEG, they impose the terms ect'
I tried politely to push the point but it fell on deaf ears, though she
did give me the phone number of AEG that I already had tried in vain.

It *is* toolstation's responsibility. Sounds like a letter before action is
called for, giving them 14 days to sort it out. Recorded delivery and a copy
to your credit card company too.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martop wrote:

I find the idea of court a worry but if it comes to it I will use that
option.

Quite a few years ago, when I worked regularly as a close up magician, I
took someone to the small claims court & found it a painless process.

Don't worry about it - it really is simple & easy.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martop wrote:
First thing is to talk to trading standards so they are on board so to
speak, I suppose they will suggest contacting tool station again and
stating the facts and then move on from there. The CC company are
already to run with this too but I have to wait till their main office
is open on Monday morning.

I'd not hold out much hope of getting help on an individual case from
trading standards if my experience is to go on. They're more interested in
building a case history against a firm.

--
*Ah, I see the f**k-up fairy has visited us again

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 7, 11:44*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
* *Martop wrote:

First thing is to talk to trading standards so they are on board so to
speak, I suppose they will suggest contacting tool station again and
stating the facts and then move on from there. The CC company are
already to run with this too but I have to wait till their main office
is open on Monday morning.

I'd not hold out much hope of getting help on an individual case from
trading standards if my experience is to go on. They're more interested in
building a case history against a firm.

I wouldnt bother with TS either.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martop" wrote in message
I am passing this on to those who may have any AEG power tools, beware
of any warranty claims or repairs under warranty. My trust AEG cordless
18 volt drill has a faulty chuck, its only 6 months old so I returned it
to toolstation for a repair or replacement, the sales person was ready
to just exchange it but for some reason the computer he used told him I
need an AEG RMA number before he can swap it out.

You don't obtain the RMA no. Toolstation do. Its the
Return Merchandise Authorisation no. Toolstation are the people who do
the returning but they need to inform the manufacturer beforehand
so a number can be allocated. This enables the manufacturer to identify
items being returned to them

The reason Toolasation prices are so competitive is maybe because all
their staff aren't trained in all the procedures. I've alawys found
them o.k but they're trained to follow whatever the computer says.
In this case the assistant wrongly assumed it was you the customer who
obtained the RMA

You or Toolastation won't have got much joy out of Ryopbi\AEG as they
probably work office hours with skeleton staff at weekends. As to the chuck -
as far as guarenteeds are concerened its not the chuck that's faulty
its the drill. End of. Weekends are always a good time to get
clueless responses to emails.

Phone Toolstation on Monday, ask to speak to the Branch Manager. Explain
the mix-up over the RMA number, and tell him when you'll be returning the
drill, and ask him to inform the counter staff accordingly.

michael adams

So yesterday I tried calling AEG uk but the phone was always busy, I
then fired off a polite email requesting a RMA and described the fault
and included the serial number.

I received a replay this morning stating that the chuck is not covered
under warranty but as a good will gesture they will replace it if I send
the faulty chuck to them.

It seems AEG power tools are serviced by Ryobi Technologies UK.

I would have thought that a power dill was useless without its chuck and
the chuck, being an integral part of the drill was in fact covered under
its warranty.

I wonder if there is any way of dealing with this problem, the drill
cost 199 quid so its not as if I cna say sod it and buy another.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tabby" wrote in message
On Nov 7, 11:44 pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
Martop wrote:

First thing is to talk to trading standards so they are on board so to
speak, I suppose they will suggest contacting tool station again and
stating the facts and then move on from there. The CC company are
already to run with this too but I have to wait till their main office
is open on Monday morning.

I'd not hold out much hope of getting help on an individual case from
trading standards if my experience is to go on. They're more interested in
building a case history against a firm.

I wouldnt bother with TS either.

I wouldn't bother with Trading Standards either. They may be able to tell
you your rights but if my past experience is anything to go by they won't
actually do anything.

I can't believe ToolStation could have this simple matter solved in seconds
by just accepting your faults goods and returning them on your behalf, well
actually I can as a lot of companies are so ignorant of the SOGA or just
choose to ignore it.

My experience with the SOGA went like this:
Bought a Sanyo TV from Argos in 2006. 18months later the sound went on it. I
phoned Argos several times claiming it was faulty and under the SOGA it was
reasonable to expect it to last longer than 18 months. Every operator told
me it was nothing to do with Argos as the 12month warranty had passed.
I managed to obtain the Managing Directors name of Argos and copied him in
on a letter I sent to the Head of Customer services. Just stating facts and
relevant details of the SOGA

Within 2 days I received a telephone call from an Argos manager who couldn't
be any more helpful, telling me to choose any new TV from the Argos book and
they would pay the full amount from the previous TV I bought plus an extra
£50 in compensation.

I personally wouldn't bother with staff on the ground level if they failed
to help me and would just go to the top.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 09:25:29 -0000, RoundSquare wrote:

Every operator told me it was nothing to do with Argos as the 12month
warranty had passed.

And I expect for 99.99% of people complaining that would end the
matter. Why do you think they try it on?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 8, 1:13*am, "michael adams" wrote:
"Martop" wrote in message

I am passing this on to those who may have any AEG power tools, beware
of any warranty claims or repairs under warranty. My trust AEG cordless
18 volt drill has a faulty chuck, its only 6 months old so I returned it
to toolstation for a repair or replacement, the sales person was ready
to just exchange it but for some reason the computer he used told him I
need an AEG RMA number before he can swap it out.

You don't obtain the RMA no. Toolstation do.

No one does in the first instance. Toolstation just need to fulfil
their legal obligations wrt the SOGA.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martop" wrote in message

I am passing this on to those who may have any AEG power tools, beware
of any warranty claims or repairs under warranty. My trust AEG cordless
18 volt drill has a faulty chuck, its only 6 months old so I returned it
to toolstation for a repair or replacement, the sales person was ready
to just exchange it but for some reason the computer he used told him I
need an AEG RMA number before he can swap it out.

You don't obtain the RMA no. Toolstation do.

- No one does in the first instance. Toolstation just need to fulfil
- their legal obligations wrt the SOGA.

which are...

quote

Circumstances when customers do not have a legal right to a refund,
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
repair or replacement
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Customers do not have a legal right to a refund, repair or replacement
from you if they

* accidentally damaged the item
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
* misused it and caused a fault
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
* tried to repair it themselves or had someone else try to repair
it, which damaged the item

/quote

http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advic...sogaexplained/

I very much doubt if Toolstation counter staff have sufficient
training to decide whether tools have been subject to misuse
repair or accidental damage.

In normal circumstances that's probably best decided by the manufacturer
or their service agent. Hence the need for an RMA no. from the
manufacturer or service agent to speed the process.

michael adams

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2010 14:39, michael adams wrote:
"Man at wrote in message
On Nov 8, 1:13 am, "michael wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I think it is 6 times I have issued and served county court summons.
Market trader that sold me a duff watch, furniture warehouse that
couldn't supply the goods and kept breaking promises to refund deposit,
dixons who wouldn't supply correct disks for DVD recorder etc.

Every time the defendant settled as soon as the summons was served.
Funny how big companies legal depts fall over themselves to settle as
quickly as possible after the company has messed you about for ages.

Local county court offices tend to be helpful and the case will normally
be heard where the purchase took place or near your home if ordered over
the internet from home.

You can claim on-line but proceeding are issued out of one court
somewhere so if the claim were defended it would be best for you to
apply for it to be heard local to you.

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

Nowadays when all else fails I write to the chief exec (having found out
his name) and to the credit card company.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 09:25:29 -0000, RoundSquare wrote:

Every operator told me it was nothing to do with Argos as the 12month
warranty had passed.

And I expect for 99.99% of people complaining that would end the
matter. Why do you think they try it on?

Ignorance probably.
I remember at the time when my TV went on the blink and I was telling my
workmates, not one of them reckoned I was due anything in respect of a
warranty. Even when I told them about the SOGA they just humoured me.
Even when I got to replace my TV I think a few of them thought I was at it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 23:36:01 -0000, RoundSquare wrote:

Every operator told me it was nothing to do with Argos as the

12month
warranty had passed.

And I expect for 99.99% of people complaining that would end the
matter. Why do you think they try it on?

Ignorance probably.

Ignorance on the part of the Customer Service Rep or the punter?

I see that "Why do you think they try it on?" is a bit ambigous, I
was refering to the companies trying it on, as in saying "12 month
warranty expired, tough", rather than the punter trying to get more
than their entitlement.

--
Cheers
Dave.