Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default what is it with Plumbers overpriced quotes!

?2 quotes, both similar

supply and fit an £ 800 combi
take existing flow and return from airing cupboard (which is directly above
garage)
and fit to new boiler location in garage, flu directly outside of garage
wall.
Powerflush naturally
both quote in excess of £ 2600 !
2 days work = £ 900 per day labour !

don't they want the easy jobs then ?
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Nov, 11:51, "Vass" wrote:
?2 quotes, both similar

supply and fit an £ 800 combi
take existing flow and return from airing cupboard (which is directly above
garage)
and fit to new boiler location in garage, flu directly outside of garage
wall.
Powerflush naturally
both quote in excess of £ 2600 !
2 days work = £ 900 per day labour !

don't they want the easy jobs then ?

indeed. Presumably they are supplying the combi that you know should
cost 800? for more like 1200? and so "only" really charging you £700
per day......

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Nov, 11:51, "Vass" wrote:
?2 quotes, both similar

supply and fit an £ 800 combi
take existing flow and return from airing cupboard (which is directly above
garage)
and fit to new boiler location in garage, flu directly outside of garage
wall.
Powerflush naturally
both quote in excess of £ 2600 !
2 days work = £ 900 per day labour !

don't they want the easy jobs then ?
--
Vass

My, the Poles are getting expensive.
They are busy and don't want your work. It's stupid time of year to
be having this work done. Wait until the Summer. School holiday
period & you'll get a better price.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
On 2 Nov, 11:51, "Vass" wrote:
?2 quotes, both similar

supply and fit an £ 800 combi
take existing flow and return from airing cupboard (which is
directly above garage)
and fit to new boiler location in garage, flu directly outside of
garage wall.
Powerflush naturally
both quote in excess of £ 2600 !
2 days work = £ 900 per day labour !

don't they want the easy jobs then ?

indeed. Presumably they are supplying the combi that you know should
cost 800? for more like 1200? and so "only" really charging you £700
per day......

Jim K

It was the same when my brother swapped his boiler, I could have done it in
3 hours but he needed a gas cert. Quotes of £500 were given.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Jim K wrote:
On 2 Nov, 11:51, "Vass" wrote:
?2 quotes, both similar

supply and fit an £ 800 combi
take existing flow and return from airing cupboard (which is
directly above garage)
and fit to new boiler location in garage, flu directly outside of
garage wall.
Powerflush naturally
both quote in excess of £ 2600 !
2 days work = £ 900 per day labour !

don't they want the easy jobs then ?

indeed. Presumably they are supplying the combi that you know should
cost 800? for more like 1200? and so "only" really charging you £700
per day......

Jim K

It was the same when my brother swapped his boiler, I could have done
it in 3 hours but he needed a gas cert. Quotes of £500 were given.

That was labour only. He had the boiler.
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On 2 Nov, 11:51, "Vass" wrote:
?2 quotes, both similar

supply and fit an £ 800 combi
take existing flow and return from airing cupboard (which is directly
above
garage)
and fit to new boiler location in garage, flu directly outside of garage
wall.
Powerflush naturally
both quote in excess of £ 2600 !
2 days work = £ 900 per day labour !

don't they want the easy jobs then ?
--
Vass

My, the Poles are getting expensive.
They are busy and don't want your work. It's stupid time of year to
be having this work done. Wait until the Summer. School holiday
period & you'll get a better price.

I think you will find when they have plenty of work on their books they
quote silly prices as they dont need the work but good if you want to pay
the inflated price.
Cheaper if looking for work.

I suppose your choice at the end of the day, agree or refuse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

?

"harry" wrote in message
It's stupid time of year to be having this work done.

Ah, must tell the boiler it picked the wrong time to blow up then
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 2, 2:25*pm, "Vass" wrote:
?

"harry" wrote in message

It's stupid time of year to be having this work done.

Ah, must tell the boiler it picked the wrong time to blow up then

This is what happens when something blows up http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11671916

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Nov 2, 2:25 pm, "Vass" wrote:
?

"harry" wrote in message

It's stupid time of year to be having this work done.

Ah, must tell the boiler it picked the wrong time to blow up then

This is what happens when something blows up
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11671916

MBQ

That is unbelievable - have you seen thier bedroom wallpaper?
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 14:25:49 -0000, Vass wrote:
?

"harry" wrote in message
It's stupid time of year to be having this work done.

Ah, must tell the boiler it picked the wrong time to blow up then

It obviously want to do what all its friends are doing. This time
of year is the absolute worst for boiler / CH repairs. You'd be
better off seeing if your existing one can be fixed. The basic
problem is that if a plumber can charge someone £200 to come out
and fix their boiler, and it only takes an hour - why would they
want to spend 2 days of lost £200/hour "emergencies" to install
a new system for someone?

The "season" for boiler emergencies in such numbers is quite
short - typically from the first cold w/e in october through
to the end of Nov. If a boiler hasn't died by then, it'll probably
last through the winter. So plumbers maximise their opportunities
while they can.

--
http://thisreallyismyhost.99k.org/02...3560527939.php

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Nov, 15:17, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:

On Nov 2, 2:25 pm, "Vass" wrote:
?

"harry" wrote in message

It's stupid time of year to be having this work done.

Ah, must tell the boiler it picked the wrong time to blow up then

This is what happens when something blows up
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11671916

MBQ

That is unbelievable - have you seen thier bedroom wallpaper?
--
Adam

The key phrase seems to be 'kitchen refurbishment on a housing trust
property' - so can we assume that this was being done by a
(complacent) registered gas
installer ?.

Is this what lenders refer to as 'non-standard' construction' :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pete" wrote in message

It obviously want to do what all its friends are doing. This time
of year is the absolute worst for boiler / CH repairs. You'd be
better off seeing if your existing one can be fixed.

Wickes 40, setting off the Carbon Monoxide alarm all the time
Was on the skip saturday, pikey knicked it sunday morning
Empty Airing cupboard.
= Fix not really possible but thanks for your advice
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 15:39:31 -0000, "Vass"
wrote:

?

"pete" wrote in message

It obviously want to do what all its friends are doing. This time
of year is the absolute worst for boiler / CH repairs. You'd be
better off seeing if your existing one can be fixed.

Wickes 40, setting off the Carbon Monoxide alarm all the time
Was on the skip saturday, pikey knicked it sunday morning
Empty Airing cupboard.
= Fix not really possible but thanks for your advice

CO alarms do have a finite life and can go faulty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:

On Nov 2, 2:25 pm, "Vass" wrote:
?
"harry" wrote in message
It's stupid time of year to be having this work done.
Ah, must tell the boiler it picked the wrong time to blow up then
This is what happens when something blows up
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11671916
MBQ

That is unbelievable - have you seen thier bedroom wallpaper?
--
Adam

The key phrase seems to be 'kitchen refurbishment on a housing trust
property' - so can we assume that this was being done by a
(complacent) registered gas
installer ?.

Nah, al Qaeda. ;-)

Is this what lenders refer to as 'non-standard' construction' :-)

Tell you what, good insurance scam..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

?

"pete" wrote in message

It obviously want to do what all its friends are doing. This time
of year is the absolute worst for boiler / CH repairs. You'd be
better off seeing if your existing one can be fixed.

Wickes 40, setting off the Carbon Monoxide alarm all the time
Was on the skip saturday, pikey knicked it sunday morning
Empty Airing cupboard.
= Fix not really possible but thanks for your advice

CO alarms do have a finite life and can go faulty.

agreed, but when the 2nd new alarm went off, and the boiler failed to light
anymore, I scrapped it.
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:

Wickes 40, setting off the Carbon Monoxide alarm all the time
Was on the skip saturday, pikey knicked it sunday morning
Empty Airing cupboard.
= Fix not really possible but thanks for your advice

If you have already taken out the old one, why not fit the new one
yourself?
It isnt rocket science, a general understanding of plumbing helps. If
you dont think you are safe connecting the gas, then get someone in to
do that bit. It should be 2 hours work at most connecting a gas supply
to a boiler then testing it all. However, if there is a leak anywhere in
the house piping, then it could get expensive, but that would happen
whether you fitted it yourself or someone else did it.

I did mine 2 years ago, and was a bit daunted by the prospect, but it
all went really well, took me a day to do the swap. I thought the new
would be a straight fit into place, but it wasnt, all 4 pipes at the
back had to be moved. i'm pretty proficient at plumbing, so it wasnt a
problem, apart from time consuming. It helped that I have a good range
of fittings on the van at all times. As a DIYer, this may not be
possible.

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Vass
writes
?2 quotes, both similar

supply and fit an £ 800 combi
take existing flow and return from airing cupboard (which is directly
above garage)
and fit to new boiler location in garage, flu directly outside of
garage wall.
Powerflush naturally
both quote in excess of £ 2600 !
2 days work = £ 900 per day labour !

don't they want the easy jobs then ?

Easy jobs?

We've had a minor cold snap, they're raking it and can take the **** -
the easy work is out there

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, ad
writes
Man at B&Q wrote:

On Nov 2, 2:25 pm, "Vass" wrote:
?

"harry" wrote in message

It's stupid time of year to be having this work done.

Ah, must tell the boiler it picked the wrong time to blow up then

This is what happens when something blows up
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11671916

MBQ

That is unbelievable - have you seen thier bedroom wallpaper?
--
Adam

The key phrase seems to be 'kitchen refurbishment on a housing trust
property' - so can we assume that this was being done by a
(complacent) registered gas
installer ?.

Is this what lenders refer to as 'non-standard' construction' :-)

It is now ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Vass
writes
0
"pete" wrote in message

It obviously want to do what all its friends are doing. This time
of year is the absolute worst for boiler / CH repairs. You'd be
better off seeing if your existing one can be fixed.

Wickes 40, setting off the Carbon Monoxide alarm all the time

Prolly needed a good hoovering then

Was on the skip saturday, pikey knicked it sunday morning
Empty Airing cupboard.
= Fix not really possible but thanks for your advice

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Vass
writes

.. .

wrote:

?

"pete" wrote in message

It obviously want to do what all its friends are doing. This time
of year is the absolute worst for boiler / CH repairs. You'd be
better off seeing if your existing one can be fixed.

Wickes 40, setting off the Carbon Monoxide alarm all the time
Was on the skip saturday, pikey knicked it sunday morning
Empty Airing cupboard.
= Fix not really possible but thanks for your advice

CO alarms do have a finite life and can go faulty.

agreed, but when the 2nd new alarm went off, and the boiler failed to
light anymore, I scrapped it.

Aah there you go - knee jerk reaction

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The
Night Tripper writes
A.Lee wrote:

Vass wrote:

Wickes 40, setting off the Carbon Monoxide alarm all the time
Was on the skip saturday, pikey knicked it sunday morning
Empty Airing cupboard.
= Fix not really possible but thanks for your advice

If you have already taken out the old one, why not fit the new one
yourself?
It isnt rocket science

[...]

Agreed - the first major bit of D-I-Y plumbing I did (twenty years ago) was
fitting my own Central Heating. I did everything except connecting and
commissioning the boiler. I got a corgi-registered 'good egg' to do that ...
from memory he charged me 50 quid ;-).

What, you let a CORGI near a boiler ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wickes 40, setting off the Carbon Monoxide alarm all the time
Was on the skip saturday, pikey knicked it sunday morning
Empty Airing cupboard.
= Fix not really possible but thanks for your advice

CO alarms do have a finite life and can go faulty.

agreed, but when the 2nd new alarm went off, and the boiler failed to
light anymore, I scrapped it.
--

I am relieved to hear that; I've just had an alarm fail by going into alarm.
Notional replacement date on it is June 2011. The only reason I *knew* it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 2, 10:36*pm, "newshound" wrote:
I am relieved to hear that; I've just had an alarm fail by going into alarm.
Notional replacement date on it is June 2011. The only reason I *knew* it
wasn't the boiler is that the boiler had died first.....

Had two Kidde fail, round one last year and oval-blob type thing, both
LCD display type (they show 999 and will not reset requiring the
batteries to be removed). From Amazon reviews a not uncommon failure,
but I think the Argos reviews do not indicate such failures the last
time I looked. No idea what Screwfix reviews say.

Replaced by an Ei Aico unit which lacks a display but is absolutely
b@st@rd frighteningly loud!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Typo: not a common failure.

Probably infant mortality as neither were very old (less than a year,
batteries fresh).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

?

"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

its the option I'm going down now
but my friendly plumber whose happy to commission wants to dig a soak away
for the condenser waste
(2 litres per hour? really?)
the other quote I had was going to plumb into the drainpipe (which is not
foul waste)
so I'm confused by conflicting requirements.
Alpha CD32C or Worcester 30CDdi are the two on the quotes, both approx £ 900
delivered.
both get extended warranty if installed by their registered installers so
I'll miss this extra piece of mind I guess
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

?

"Vass" wrote in message
. uk...

its the option I'm going down now

as a footnote
I tend to use elbows, not bend pipe, will this cause me issues?
Gas meter is 2 mtrs from new boiler position
Flow and Return original location is 3 mtrs away (airing cupboard above
garage)
Same for HW
TIA
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
If you have already taken out the old one, why not fit the new one
yourself?

its the option I'm going down now
but my friendly plumber whose happy to commission wants to dig a soak away
for the condenser waste
(2 litres per hour? really?)

Doubtful. Worst case scenario maybe, but in real life, 100ml each
morning on start up?

the other quote I had was going to plumb into the drainpipe (which is not
foul waste)
so I'm confused by conflicting requirements.

I was under the impression that it should go to the foul waste outlet.
I have seen it pushed into a drainpipe before.

Alpha CD32C or Worcester 30CDdi are the two on the quotes, both approx £ 900
delivered.
both get extended warranty if installed by their registered installers so
I'll miss this extra piece of mind I guess

I had an Alpha for 10 years. It gave up as the heat exchanger was caked
in debris from the CH system, and a lack of inhibitor. Other than that,
it worked fine. The fault could be traced back to the original sloppy
fitment which didnt fit any filtration, flushing out, or inhibitor into
the system when the new combi was plumbed into the old back boiler
system.
That why I DIY my own now - I know I'm doing it right then.
It would be a good time to fit a filter, something like a Magnaclean.

Elbows rather than bends are fine, though I'd go for soldered fittings.
Personal preference - cheaper, neater, and dont tend to leak at all when
done correctly.

Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:
?

"Vass" wrote in message
. uk...

its the option I'm going down now

as a footnote
I tend to use elbows, not bend pipe, will this cause me issues?
Gas meter is 2 mtrs from new boiler position
Flow and Return original location is 3 mtrs away (airing cupboard
above garage)
Same for HW
TIA

It will not make any difference. The pipe benders only tend to get used for
asthetics or unusual routes.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

?

"A.Lee" wrote in message

[...]

thanks Alan, yes all yorkshires, I'm currently removing the plastic pushfits
just to remove any
doubt with it being a pressurised system soon.
Ta for tips and advice.
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
Vass wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
If you have already taken out the old one, why not fit the new one
yourself?

its the option I'm going down now
but my friendly plumber whose happy to commission wants to dig a soak
away
for the condenser waste
(2 litres per hour? really?)

Doubtful. Worst case scenario maybe, but in real life, 100ml each
morning on start up?

the other quote I had was going to plumb into the drainpipe (which is not
foul waste)
so I'm confused by conflicting requirements.

I was under the impression that it should go to the foul waste outlet.

Why. It's condensed water vapour, how can it be "dirty"?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 3, 10:38 am, "tim...." wrote:
"A.Lee" wrote in message

Vass wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
If you have already taken out the old one, why not fit the new one
yourself?

its the option I'm going down now
but my friendly plumber whose happy to commission wants to dig a soak
away
for the condenser waste
(2 litres per hour? really?)

Doubtful. Worst case scenario maybe, but in real life, 100ml each
morning on start up?

the other quote I had was going to plumb into the drainpipe (which is not
foul waste)
so I'm confused by conflicting requirements.

I was under the impression that it should go to the foul waste outlet.

Why. It's condensed water vapour, how can it be "dirty"?

mmm not water - actually acid - pH 2.9-4 nitric acid solution, (and
sulphuric acid too if oil fired boiler)

deserves thinking about where to shove it

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim.... wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message

the other quote I had was going to plumb into the drainpipe (which is not
foul waste)
so I'm confused by conflicting requirements.

I was under the impression that it should go to the foul waste outlet.

Why. It's condensed water vapour, how can it be "dirty"?

It is slightly acidic, hence the need to have it going to the waste/soil
pipe, rather then the drainpipe which in many houses runs straight off
to a local river/stream.

I'm pretty sure this is in one of the Regs, as my mate will not fit one
into a drain pipe, as he's a stickler for the rules.

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

In message , The
Night Tripper writes

Agreed - the first major bit of D-I-Y plumbing I did (twenty years ago)
was fitting my own Central Heating. I did everything except connecting and
commissioning the boiler. I got a corgi-registered 'good egg' to do that
... from memory he charged me 50 quid ;-).

What, you let a CORGI near a boiler ?

Actually, wot I rote was a bit of shorthand. He actually taught plumbing &
Gas installation etc. at the local college, and was the son of my next-door-
neighbour, so I hoped had a vested interest in a safe installation. I
*assumed* he was Corgi registered, but it wasn't my criteria for selecting
him ;-).

J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:
?

"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

We've had an Alpha CD32C for about 5 years now and it's been brilliant, no
problems whatsoever. They come with a 3-year warranty as standard and can be
extended to 5 years if you use the "Premier Pack" backplate/jig-type thingy.
This is because it has a cyclone device on there that collects crud and
stops it circulating around the system.

The cyclone used to be integral to the boiler (as ours is) but for some
reason they decided to mount it on the backplate instead, making it an
optional extra. Don't know if the backplate is available to DIYers or just
trade.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

?

"Bill Payer" wrote in message
Vass wrote:
?

[...]

yeh saw that, £ 150 extra, my plumber said not to bother, use a magnet
thingy instead?
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:
?

"Bill Payer" wrote in message
Vass wrote:
?

[...]

Well, I'm not a plumber and don't know about 'magnet thingies' (copper swarf
isn't magnetic is it?) but I can say that the cyclone really works. It was
because of the cyclone that Alpha were offering 3-year warranties when other
manufacturers like WB or whoever were a standard 1-year, I believe - and
don't forget that it extends the warranty for a further two years making 5
in all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 3, 10:38*am, "tim...." wrote:

Why. *It's condensed water vapour, how can it be "dirty"?

It's acidic. Acidic enough to do a number on any concrete or mortar it
might encounter, until well diluted. Sticking it straight into an
older drain with any cement near it really is asking for trouble.

MOTIVATED QUOTES avtar Woodworking 0 December 11th 06 07:03 AM
MOTIVATED QUOTES raj Home Repair 0 December 10th 06 06:38 AM
Never Spend Hours Bargain Hunting For Overpriced Junk Ever Again! sneaker23 Home Repair 3 March 7th 06 07:08 AM
Never Spend Hours Bargain Hunting For Overpriced Junk Ever Again! sneaker23 Woodworking 0 March 7th 06 03:48 AM