DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Contact adhesive ? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/312037-contact-adhesive.html)

Andy Cap[_4_] October 21st 10 05:59 PM

Contact adhesive ?

I need to stick on some worktop edging. Which is the best contact adhesive
available these days for this sort of thing? Many years since I built a kitchen
with Formica and one of the old 45º edge trimmers !

Andy C

Dave Osborne[_2_] October 21st 10 06:19 PM

Contact adhesive ?

Andy Cap wrote:
I need to stick on some worktop edging. Which is the best contact adhesive
available these days for this sort of thing? Many years since I built a kitchen
with Formica and one of the old 45º edge trimmers !

Andy C

Thixofix is still available.

http://www.thegluepeople.co.uk/index...products_id=17

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] October 21st 10 06:24 PM

Contact adhesive ?

Andy Cap wrote:
I need to stick on some worktop edging. Which is the best contact adhesive
available these days for this sort of thing? Many years since I built a kitchen
with Formica and one of the old 45º edge trimmers !

Andy C

same as it was. Proper solvent bostik

Roger Mills[_2_] October 21st 10 06:29 PM

Contact adhesive ?

On 21/10/2010 17:59, Andy Cap wrote:

I need to stick on some worktop edging. Which is the best contact adhesive
available these days for this sort of thing? Many years since I built a kitchen
with Formica and one of the old 45º edge trimmers !

Andy C

I normally use Thixofix - which is non-drip *and* allows a small amount
of position adjustment before it finally grabs.

See http://www.thegluepeople.co.uk/pdf/A...%20-%20TDS.pdf
--
Cheers,
Roger

Peter Scott October 21st 10 06:37 PM

Contact adhesive ?

On 21/10/2010 17:59, Andy Cap wrote:

I need to stick on some worktop edging. Which is the best contact adhesive
available these days for this sort of thing? Many years since I built a kitchen
with Formica and one of the old 45º edge trimmers !

Andy C

I've started using PVA wood glue. Provided you clamp the edging on well,
it makes a very strong joint. Never had one detach when trimming it.
Also allows you to manoevre the strip into the exact position rather
than the irrevocable grab with contact

Peter Scott

Stuart Noble October 22nd 10 10:34 AM

Contact adhesive ?

On 21/10/2010 18:37, Peter Scott wrote:
On 21/10/2010 17:59, Andy Cap wrote:

I need to stick on some worktop edging. Which is the best contact
adhesive
available these days for this sort of thing? Many years since I built
a kitchen
with Formica and one of the old 45º edge trimmers !

Andy C

I've started using PVA wood glue. Provided you clamp the edging on well,
it makes a very strong joint. Never had one detach when trimming it.
Also allows you to manoevre the strip into the exact position rather
than the irrevocable grab with contact

Peter Scott

Uhu from the Pound Shop. Behaves exactly like the old EvoStik AFAICS,
and a 500gm tube is a convenient size for me.

robgraham October 22nd 10 12:27 PM

Contact adhesive ?

On 22 Oct, 10:34, stuart noble wrote:
On 21/10/2010 18:37, Peter Scott wrote:

On 21/10/2010 17:59, Andy Cap wrote:

I need to stick on some worktop edging. Which is the best contact
adhesive
available these days for this sort of thing? Many years since I built
a kitchen
with Formica and one of the old 45º edge trimmers !

Andy C

I've started using PVA wood glue. Provided you clamp the edging on well,
it makes a very strong joint. Never had one detach when trimming it.
Also allows you to manoevre the strip into the exact position rather
than the irrevocable grab with contact

Peter Scott

Uhu from the Pound Shop. Behaves exactly like the old EvoStik AFAICS,
and a 500gm tube is a convenient size for me.

Gee, yes; I bought a new tin of Evostick the other day - it is totally
useless; I didn't actually take it back but it damn nearly breaks the
Trade Description Act.
Rob