Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hylomar

Had a new tube of Hylomar lying around, still in its box - probably bought
a couple of years ago. It is a non setting gasket compound originally
developed for Rolls Royce. It has gone rock hard.

--
*If you ate pasta and anti-pasta, would you still be hungry?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)"
saying something like:

Had a new tube of Hylomar lying around, still in its box - probably bought
a couple of years ago. It is a non setting gasket compound originally
developed for Rolls Royce. It has gone rock hard.

They've probably changed the formulation over the years, for certainly
I've had ancient tubes remain useable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 11:59:50 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)"
saying something like:

Had a new tube of Hylomar lying around, still in its box - probably
bought a couple of years ago. It is a non setting gasket compound
originally developed for Rolls Royce. It has gone rock hard.

They've probably changed the formulation over the years, for certainly
I've had ancient tubes remain useable.

That's not good, then :-( That stuff used to do a decent job... I've not
yet found an equivalent here in the US. I did have one engine (in the UK)
that someone had gooped up with regular old silicone - a large chunk
broke off internally, blocked a waterway and caused the head gasket to
fail. Was less than happy!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)"
saying something like:

Had a new tube of Hylomar lying around, still in its box - probably
bought a couple of years ago. It is a non setting gasket compound
originally developed for Rolls Royce. It has gone rock hard.

They've probably changed the formulation over the years, for certainly
I've had ancient tubes remain useable.

I think it is now made under licence by more than one company. But you're
right - I had some in a near empty tube which was still ok. Perhaps H&S or
whatever has required a solvent change?

--
*I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jules Richardson" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 11:59:50 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)"
saying something like:

Had a new tube of Hylomar lying around, still in its box - probably
bought a couple of years ago. It is a non setting gasket compound
originally developed for Rolls Royce. It has gone rock hard.

They've probably changed the formulation over the years, for certainly
I've had ancient tubes remain useable.

That's not good, then :-( That stuff used to do a decent job... I've not
yet found an equivalent here in the US. I did have one engine (in the UK)
that someone had gooped up with regular old silicone - a large chunk
broke off internally, blocked a waterway and caused the head gasket to
fail. Was less than happy!

It's very good at blocking carb jets and oilways too. I think ye olde
British biker, used to leaky, badly fitted cases, and paper gaskets, tended
to go a bit OTT when the newer methods came along. I for one remember
smearing a crank case gasket on a my Ducati, with a bit of RTV 'just to make
sure': it dissolved parts of the gasket and leaked like a sieve, so I soon
had to do it again - with just a smear of grease on the gasket...