Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wilkinsons voltage tester

Saw this in Wilkinsons yesterday for just over £1, bought one out of
curiosity really.

http://voltagetester.en.made-in-chin...ON-88-28-.html

Instructions are gibberish for example "If both sides the lamp shiny, it
meansshort circuit." Frankly surprised at Wilkinsons for allowing it.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...windsor001.jpg

interested in number 4 though - does this mean I can test fluorescent
starters?

Is this thing any use to me or should I just bin it?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 13:16:03 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Is this thing any use to me or should I just bin it?

I have had one for some years. I have found it to be so erratic in
operation that it cannot be trusted and is imho bin filler.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

Saw this in Wilkinsons yesterday for just over £1, bought one out of
curiosity really.

http://voltagetester.en.made-in-chin...ON-88-28-.html

CE marked.

Hehe...
Yeah, right.
"China Enterprises".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Saw this in Wilkinsons yesterday for just over £1, bought one out of
curiosity really.

http://voltagetester.en.made-in-chin...ON-88-28-.html

Instructions are gibberish for example "If both sides the lamp shiny, it
meansshort circuit." Frankly surprised at Wilkinsons for allowing it.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...windsor001.jpg

interested in number 4 though - does this mean I can test fluorescent
starters?

Test starters by substitution.
It's not uncommon that both tube and starter will have failed if
the starter has been trying to start a dead tube for weeks, and
you will have to replace both in this case to make the light work.

Is this thing any use to me or should I just bin it?

There's one in my toolkit. I can't remember where it came from.
It's handy as a choc.box screwdriver.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Saw this in Wilkinsons yesterday for just over £1, bought one out of
curiosity really.

http://voltagetester.en.made-in-chin...ON-88-28-.html

Instructions are gibberish for example "If both sides the lamp shiny, it
meansshort circuit." Frankly surprised at Wilkinsons for allowing it.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...windsor001.jpg

interested in number 4 though - does this mean I can test fluorescent
starters?

Test starters by substitution.
It's not uncommon that both tube and starter will have failed if
the starter has been trying to start a dead tube for weeks, and
you will have to replace both in this case to make the light work.

TBH I replace them as a matter of course cos I can charge for them :-)

Just wondered.

Is this thing any use to me or should I just bin it?

There's one in my toolkit. I can't remember where it came from.
It's handy as a choc.box screwdriver.

That useful huh? :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Saw this in Wilkinsons yesterday for just over £1...

For those set the value on their own lives at no more than the
purchase price.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Saw this in Wilkinsons yesterday for just over £1, bought one out of
curiosity really.

http://voltagetester.en.made-in-chin...ZIkD/China-Vol
tage-Tester-SUGON-88-28-.html

interested in number 4 though - does this mean I can test fluorescent
starters?

At 99p or less each, why bother?

Is this thing any use to me or should I just bin it?

Bin it. Buy a decent tester. Similar are sold by 'reputable' brands -
http://isswww.co.uk/Voltage-detectors/
I wouldnt trust them, but I suppose they have a use for some things, but
I cannot see what it is now.
I've been using one of these recently:
http://isswww.co.uk/VoltageContinuit...T50-VoltageCon
tinuity-Tester/

Seems to work for basic testing - e.g. power to lamp bayonets/switches
etc. No good for proper testing though, but cheap enough to keep in my
tool bag.

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Saw this in Wilkinsons yesterday for just over £1, bought one out of
curiosity really.

http://voltagetester.en.made-in-chin...ZIkD/China-Vol
tage-Tester-SUGON-88-28-.html

interested in number 4 though - does this mean I can test fluorescent
starters?

At 99p or less each, why bother?

Is this thing any use to me or should I just bin it?

Bin it. Buy a decent tester. Similar are sold by 'reputable' brands -
http://isswww.co.uk/Voltage-detectors/
I wouldnt trust them, but I suppose they have a use for some things, but
I cannot see what it is now.
I've been using one of these recently:
http://isswww.co.uk/VoltageContinuit...T50-VoltageCon
tinuity-Tester/