Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default John Carr Wooden Windows

I have double glazed John Carr Wooden Windows throughout the bungalow
and, on a couple of large multi paned bedroom windows, have found a
very slight ingress of that nasty wet stuff when the heavens have
been over generous with it,
My problem is that to try to correct the situation I really need to
know how these windows are manufactured prior to glazing. They appear
to be built up from a multiplicity of pieces rather than being "hewn
out of the solid" in the olde fashyoned way.
I have searched the 'net as well as I can but have been unable to find
any information. These windows the original ones fitted when the place
was built !9 years ago.
Any help would be more than gratefully recieved
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Oct, 14:29, struggler wrote:
I have double glazed John Carr Wooden Windows throughout the bungalow
and, on a couple of large multi paned bedroom windows, have found a
very slight ingress of that nasty wet stuff when the heavens have
been over generous with it,
My problem is that to try to correct the situation I really need to
know how these windows are manufactured prior to glazing. They appear
to be built up from a multiplicity of pieces rather than being "hewn
out of the solid" in the olde fashyoned way.
I have searched the 'net as well as I can but have been unable to find
any information. These windows the original ones fitted when the place
was built !9 years ago.
Any help would be more than gratefully recieved

I would counsel "pictures speak a thousand words" - can you post some
(incl closeups) up somewhere we can inspect?

If not then it's a bit needle and haystack like.....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Oct, 18:02, Jim K wrote:
[...]

Herewith links to pictures, Jim.
I am not sure which links will work on this board.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t=DSCF2051.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t=DSCF2050.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t=DSCF2049.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t=DSCF2048.jpg

The method of glazing (from the outside) is obvious, but it is what is
going on behind the d.g. panels and at sill level that is of interest
to me. The outer sill is higher than the inner sill and that seems to
be a bit of an Achilles heel (bloody funny place for anyone to have
his foot !)

Wooden windows Bitstreams UK diy 8 September 17th 07 11:18 AM
Wooden windows won't fully shut GPG UK diy 4 November 26th 05 02:51 PM
wooden windows roughbert strong UK diy 0 January 22nd 05 11:36 PM
Restoring Wooden Windows Elise Woodworking 12 January 8th 05 02:41 PM
John Carr Doorsets Tim Jenkins UK diy 0 April 7th 04 06:27 PM