Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Levelling Kitchen Floor

Hi all

Looking at preparing the kitchen floor for tiling.
There is an area approx 2.5 x 1.7m which is approx 6mm lower than the rest.
The existing floor is well laid concrete, flat and has only had lino on
since cast (by the look of things), so only some adhesive to remove in
places.
I have used Feb Floor for patching small areas in other rooms before, but
what would be the best screed-type-product to:
adhere to the existing concrete
make up the area noted above by 6mm and be self levelling
provide a good base for floor tiling?

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Looking at preparing the kitchen floor for tiling.
There is an area approx 2.5 x 1.7m which is approx 6mm lower than the rest.
The existing floor is well laid concrete, flat and has only had lino on
since cast (by the look of things), so only some adhesive to remove in
places.
I have used Feb Floor for patching small areas in other rooms before, but
what would be the best screed-type-product to:
adhere to the existing concrete
make up the area noted above by 6mm and be self levelling
provide a good base for floor tiling?

Don't bother.

Use a fast setting low-slump cement and a variable thickness of it. 6mm
is too small to worry about. I used ardex products, the fast set can be
mixed very stiff and goes off in under half an hour.

http://www.ardex.co.uk/microtec/x77s.htm

The cost is no worse than a levelling compound, and the results are
better IMHO.

use a taut string and spirit level to get the first row level across the
room, and the a spirit level to lay adjacent rows, and use more or less
cement to get the whole thing true. Tamp tiles down level, and mop off
surplus cement with a freshly wetted sponge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote

Use a fast setting low-slump cement and a variable thickness of it. 6mm is
too small to worry about. I used ardex products, the fast set can be mixed
very stiff and goes off in under half an hour.

http://www.ardex.co.uk/microtec/x77s.htm

Thanks NP, but the link above included a Technical Data Sheet and Surface
Preparation notes state that the variation is 3mm max over 2m.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
"The Natural Philosopher" wrote

Use a fast setting low-slump cement and a variable thickness of it. 6mm is
too small to worry about. I used ardex products, the fast set can be mixed
very stiff and goes off in under half an hour.

http://www.ardex.co.uk/microtec/x77s.htm

Thanks NP, but the link above included a Technical Data Sheet and Surface
Preparation notes state that the variation is 3mm max over 2m.

really? i used it up to 22 mm bed depth no probs..

Anyway +-3mm is 6m..

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Sep, 13:33, "TheScullster" wrote:
Hi all

Looking at preparing the kitchen floor for tiling.
There is an area approx 2.5 x 1.7m which is approx 6mm lower than the rest.
The existing floor is well laid concrete, flat and has only had lino on
since cast (by the look of things), so only some adhesive to remove in
places.
I have used Feb Floor for patching small areas in other rooms before, but
what would be the best screed-type-product to:
adhere to the existing concrete
make up the area noted above by 6mm and be self levelling
provide a good base for floor tiling?

TIA

Phil

One of the F Ball Stopgaps - I've only used 300 but can't recall if
that can do 6mm in one shot. If not it would in two, or they will
have another which will do it one.

SG300 is a very very good self-leveller as long as you can mix pour
spread and spikey roll fast enough (four hands better than two, but I
managed ok on my own). Most so-called self-levellers are actually
self-smoothing, not self-levelling and are frustrating and a bit crap
which is probably where TNP is coming from.

I think Tim Watts will back me up on SG300 being an almost wonder
product - there's a thread in the archive somewhere in which I
recommended SG300 to him and banged on about process a bit more when
it was a bit fresher in my mind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bolted" wrote

One of the F Ball Stopgaps - I've only used 300 but can't recall if
that can do 6mm in one shot. If not it would in two, or they will
have another which will do it one.

SG300 is a very very good self-leveller as long as you can mix pour
spread and spikey roll fast enough (four hands better than two, but I
managed ok on my own). Most so-called self-levellers are actually
self-smoothing, not self-levelling and are frustrating and a bit crap
which is probably where TNP is coming from.

I think Tim Watts will back me up on SG300 being an almost wonder
product - there's a thread in the archive somewhere in which I
recommended SG300 to him and banged on about process a bit more when
it was a bit fresher in my mind.

Thanks Bolted

Yes I have used F Ball products before - should have thought of them.
The SG300 is upto 15mm so would do the job I reckon.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bolted wrote:
[...]

Yes Stopgap 300 will do this very easily.
Check the F Ball website for the data sheets. Pretty sure 6mm was fine.
Prime with P131 first and use a metal float to feather off the edges.

Mix to the wettest as permitted by the sheet (ratios are CRITICAL) and
it will pretty much fall level once it has wetted the area.

Feather edges are where there'll be more trouble so checking over with a
long straight edge would be advisable.

Cheers

Tim
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

Looking at preparing the kitchen floor for tiling.
There is an area approx 2.5 x 1.7m which is approx 6mm lower than the
rest.
The existing floor is well laid concrete, flat and has only had lino on
since cast (by the look of things), so only some adhesive to remove in
places.
I have used Feb Floor for patching small areas in other rooms before, but
what would be the best screed-type-product to:
adhere to the existing concrete
make up the area noted above by 6mm and be self levelling
provide a good base for floor tiling?

You could look for self levelling compounds. They are designed to be used
in thin layers.

--
Michael Chare

Floor levelling Marcos UK diy 10 June 15th 07 03:05 PM
Floor Levelling Tony 9-5 Home Repair 4 March 17th 07 09:06 PM
Advice on levelling a concrete kitchen floor... Nige UK diy 2 February 17th 07 03:17 PM
Levelling a floor [email protected] UK diy 10 January 24th 07 02:30 PM
self levelling floor beaker UK diy 4 July 12th 06 06:33 PM