Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Triangular shank masonry drill bit

I recently bought a bunch of masonry drill bits at a boot sale. Most
either fit in a chuck or are SDS. However, a few have triangular
shanks which I've not come across before. The bits are not huge, I
guess between 12 - 20mm. The triangular part is about 1/2" across the
flats and about 1" long.

I've tried various search terms with no luck. Does anyone know what
type they are and what drill takes them?

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
I recently bought a bunch of masonry drill bits at a boot sale. Most
either fit in a chuck or are SDS. However, a few have triangular
shanks which I've not come across before. The bits are not huge, I
guess between 12 - 20mm. The triangular part is about 1/2" across the
flats and about 1" long.

I've tried various search terms with no luck. Does anyone know what
type they are and what drill takes them?

Hand brace, from memory, or standard three jaw chuck.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
I recently bought a bunch of masonry drill bits at a boot sale. Most
either fit in a chuck or are SDS. However, a few have triangular
shanks which I've not come across before. The bits are not huge, I
guess between 12 - 20mm. The triangular part is about 1/2" across the
flats and about 1" long.

I've tried various search terms with no luck. Does anyone know what
type they are and what drill takes them?

A normal chuck has three jaws and should grip them without a problem.
I have a couple of bits with hex shanks that are for use in a three jaw
chuck.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
I recently bought a bunch of masonry drill bits at a boot sale. Most
either fit in a chuck or are SDS. However, a few have triangular
shanks which I've not come across before. The bits are not huge, I
guess between 12 - 20mm. The triangular part is about 1/2" across the
flats and about 1" long.

I've tried various search terms with no luck. Does anyone know what
type they are and what drill takes them?

Hand brace, from memory, or standard three jaw chuck.

A carpenters hand brace took tapered square shank bits.
There may be other types of hand brace.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
I recently bought a bunch of masonry drill bits at a boot sale. Most
either fit in a chuck or are SDS. However, a few have triangular
shanks which I've not come across before. The bits are not huge, I
guess between 12 - 20mm. The triangular part is about 1/2" across the
flats and about 1" long.

I've tried various search terms with no luck. Does anyone know what
type they are and what drill takes them?

Hand brace, from memory, or standard three jaw chuck.

John

Yes, hand brace. I have a set of screwdriver bits like that. Not sure
I'd ever need a masonry bit in a brace though

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Sep, 11:53, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
John wrote:
I recently bought a bunch of masonry drill bits at a boot sale. Most
either fit in a chuck or are SDS. However, a few have triangular
shanks which I've not come across before. The bits are not huge, I
guess between 12 - 20mm. The triangular part is about 1/2" across the
flats and about 1" long.

I've tried various search terms with no luck. Does anyone know what
type they are and what drill takes them?

Hand brace, from memory, or standard three jaw chuck.

Certainly not a hand brace. They tend to have square shanks. It looks
too chunky for a normal drill chuck though I've not tried it in one.
Certainly the marks on it look like it fits in a purpose designed
triangular fitting.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
John wrote:
I recently bought a bunch of masonry drill bits at a boot sale. Most
either fit in a chuck or are SDS. However, a few have triangular
shanks which I've not come across before. The bits are not huge, I
guess between 12 - 20mm. The triangular part is about 1/2" across the
flats and about 1" long.

I've tried various search terms with no luck. Does anyone know what
type they are and what drill takes them?

Hand brace, from memory, or standard three jaw chuck.

Certainly not a hand brace. They tend to have square shanks. It looks
too chunky for a normal drill chuck though I've not tried it in one.
Certainly the marks on it look like it fits in a purpose designed
triangular fitting.

ISTR that Hilti had their own "standard" in the days before SDS.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
I recently bought a bunch of masonry drill bits at a boot sale. Most
either fit in a chuck or are SDS. However, a few have triangular
shanks which I've not come across before. The bits are not huge, I
guess between 12 - 20mm. The triangular part is about 1/2" across the
flats and about 1" long.

I've tried various search terms with no luck. Does anyone know what
type they are and what drill takes them?

A normal chuck has three jaws and should grip them without a problem.
I have a couple of bits with hex shanks that are for use in a three jaw
chuck.

John

try google

http://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch...drill-bit.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
I recently bought a bunch of masonry drill bits at a boot sale. Most
either fit in a chuck or are SDS. However, a few have triangular
shanks which I've not come across before. The bits are not huge, I
guess between 12 - 20mm. The triangular part is about 1/2" across the
flats and about 1" long.

I've tried various search terms with no luck. Does anyone know what
type they are and what drill takes them?

John

sorry for double post chair keyboard interface error

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
I recently bought a bunch of masonry drill bits at a boot sale. Most
either fit in a chuck or are SDS. However, a few have triangular
shanks which I've not come across before. The bits are not huge, I
guess between 12 - 20mm. The triangular part is about 1/2" across the
flats and about 1" long.

I've tried various search terms with no luck. Does anyone know what
type they are and what drill takes them?

A normal chuck has three jaws and should grip them without a problem.
I have a couple of bits with hex shanks that are for use in a three jaw
chuck.

John

try google

http://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch...drill-bit.html

What is that link supposed to be telling me?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/09/2010 13:47, dennis@home wrote:

http://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch...drill-bit.html

What is that link supposed to be telling me?

Dunno. This one looks quite good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_bit_shank

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
. uk...
On 29/09/2010 13:47, dennis@home wrote:

http://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch...drill-bit.html

What is that link supposed to be telling me?

Dunno. This one looks quite good:

It agrees with what I said so it must be good.