Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CFL - Alarming failure.

Two years ago I bought a Lyvia 26w CFL. which I have been using regularly
ever since.

At the time it was quite a reasonable purchase. I was pleased to find a bulb
with a decent light output.

Just recently as I was using the CFL, it stopped working. I looked up at it
and could just see a glow on one of the tubes. Then there was an alarming
series of electrical crackles and pops, and a nasty smell.

As I am in the habit of using light bulbs in a unattended mode, I find the
idea that one could fail and perhaps start a fire somewhat alarming.

Is there any sort of government body responsible for the safety of consumer
electrical devices to whom I can complain?

I have replaced the bulb with a 23w Tesco 10 year 10p one.

--
Michael Chare

GM Failure oldjag Metalworking 103 December 11th 08 08:41 PM
HDD failure Gareth Magennis Electronics Repair 13 September 1st 05 02:06 AM
Hot water tank - (possibly) alarming signs Frank Stacey UK diy 4 July 6th 05 09:30 PM
Curious and alarming hot water problem Pete UK diy 1 March 2nd 05 06:04 PM
Alarming crack... JK UK diy 30 August 29th 04 02:08 AM