Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spilt milk in car

Jerry wrote:

Indeed, so as a cure for a carpet and it's underlay it's probably
of the same worth as what you paid for the advice, zilch, sweet
nothing.

Jeez, but you're an idiot. It's also the stated cure for milk on carpets
& furnishings but I'd not tried it.

VERY unlikely to be the same for a car, unless convertible, also,
vinegar - being an acid, could do a lot of damage to both
furnishings and the vehicle structure/electrics should the
vinegar get were it should not or the dyes not be colour-safe.

There's a difference between being acidic & being an Alien style melt
through metal bulkheads acid. The milk'll do as much harm to any
connectors it finds.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 16:05:59 +0100, Jerry wrote:
: The worse thing likely to happen with airbags & pretensioners is that
: you trigger a fault code,

Not so, the 'worst' thing that might happen is that you could trigger
the air bags or pretensioners [1], both generate enough force to either
kill or maim the un-knowledgeable. Even without injury or death,
triggering some airbags could go a long way to writing of the car in
(value vs. repair cost terms), should such airbags as those fitted to
the dash, seats or cant-rail mounted SIP bags be triggered.

Our van was like that - a low-speed impact with a deer didn't do too much
physical damage, but it set the airbags and tensioners off, and the cost
to fix those would have been around equal to the cost of fixing
everything else, so the previous owner's insurance company coughed up the
money and were going to scrap it.

We bought it from them as salvage for next to nothing and (legally) put
it back on the road - our insurance company don't care about the fact
that it has no airbags so long as we have it just on basic cover, and
replacement seatbelts are available without the explosive pretensioners.

I've got a bit of black tape stuck over the airbag warning light until I
get around to taking the bulb out :-)

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Jules Richardson
saying something like:

We bought it from them as salvage for next to nothing and (legally) put
it back on the road - our insurance company don't care about the fact
that it has no airbags so long as we have it just on basic cover, and
replacement seatbelts are available without the explosive pretensioners.

Exactly so.
My SOJC and classic have nothing in the way of that kind of stuff and
yet I'm not dead.
Just like driving in the 70s and 80s all over again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
: On 23 Sep, 16:05, "Jerry"
wrote:
:
: Not so, the 'worst' thing that might happen is that you could
: trigger the air bags or pretensioners
:
: Voice of experience, hey Jerry?

Well yes, not that I've been stupid enough set any off
unintentionally.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott M" wrote in message

:
: There's a difference between being acidic & being an Alien
style melt
: through metal bulkheads acid. The milk'll do as much harm to
any
: connectors it finds.
:

You really are one sure cretin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jerry" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message

snip
:
: In that case I would use a Stanley Knife and cut out the wetted
section and
: replace it with some new underlay.
:

So you admit to being a bodging idiot then! :~(

It worked well for me once - and the stuff I put in was better than what I
took out. Made the carpet seem softer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 24, 10:11 am, Dave wrote:

Plenty of ventilation. A smell is only a chemical that eventually
evaporates. Look at second hand car sales places and they all have doors
or hatch back doors open when the weather if dry.

Park the car so that sun shines on the affected area (having cleaned
that as much as possible). Have a small fan blowing on the area and
have the windows open.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
On Sep 24, 10:11 am, Dave wrote:

Plenty of ventilation. A smell is only a chemical that eventually
evaporates. Look at second hand car sales places and they all have doors
or hatch back doors open when the weather if dry.

Park the car so that sun shines on the affected area (having cleaned
that as much as possible). Have a small fan blowing on the area and
have the windows open.

I would suggest that would have about as much effect on the problem, as
politely asking it to stop smelling ... :-)

Anyway, there won't be any more sun now for at least 6 months !

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 27, 8:43 pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message

On Sep 24, 10:11 am, Dave wrote:

Plenty of ventilation. A smell is only a chemical that eventually
evaporates. Look at second hand car sales places and they all have doors
or hatch back doors open when the weather if dry.

Park the car so that sun shines on the affected area (having cleaned
that as much as possible). Have a small fan blowing on the area and
have the windows open.

I would suggest that would have about as much effect on the problem, as
politely asking it to stop smelling ... :-)

Anyway, there won't be any more sun now for at least 6 months !

That method works well here in NZ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message

snip
:
: Plenty of ventilation. A smell is only a chemical that
eventually
: evaporates. Look at second hand car sales places and they all
have doors
: or hatch back doors open when the weather if dry.
:

Yes, but for completely different reasons, mostly to stop
condensation, thus preventing (musty) smells building up rather
than curing the problem once there - the only way of getting rid
of the smell is to get rid of what is causing the smell.
--
Regards, Jerry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Sep, 22:24, Ron Lowe wrote:
My wife's car has suffered a large milk spill in the rear passenger
footwell.

We've mopped it out, rinsed, mopped out, rinsed, repeat, etc, sprayed
anti-bacterial spray etc.

But still it smells like a blue cheese factory.

Options?

Seems like:
Change the carpets;
Sell the car;
Burn the car.

--
Ron

I know this is a pretty late reply but what has worked in the past for
me is an enzyme based odour killer, the affected area has to be kept
damp for a while with a damp towel for the enzymatic action to take
place.

http://www.valetpro.co.uk/Products/I...Odour-Eater-1L
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2010 17:28, Anita Palley wrote:

(Unless yours is one of those
shiny for-show landrovers used mainly for dropping the kids of at
school and driving to the golf club!).

It's an 06 Discovery 3 which does decent duty carting kids up to the
Lecht and Glenshee for the Ski race training, carting myself and friends
with 4 road bikes to events around the country, carting our climbing
group to local crags and further afield, and carrying kayacks to various
rivers around Scotland.

It's a working car, not a show-vehicle.

OT: I'm just back from the Ullapool Mor cycle event, 130 miles with
12000 feet of climb. My target was just to finish, but I did 9h14m,
which I was well pleased with.

http://www.handsonevents.co.uk/Event...l/Ullapool.htm

Photo of me:
http://northsport.ifp3.com/#/gallery...mor/umb10k051/
I'm in the red, Terry my cow-orker is in yellow.

( Apologies for the atrocious slow photo website, must be something the
photographer does to prevent people stealing his images! )

--
Ron
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/09/2010 18:17, VAG_dude wrote:
On 22 Sep, 22:24, Ron wrote:
My wife's car has suffered a large milk spill in the rear passenger
footwell.

We've mopped it out, rinsed, mopped out, rinsed, repeat, etc, sprayed
anti-bacterial spray etc.

But still it smells like a blue cheese factory.

Options?

Seems like:
Change the carpets;
Sell the car;
Burn the car.

--
Ron

I know this is a pretty late reply but what has worked in the past for
me is an enzyme based odour killer, the affected area has to be kept
damp for a while with a damp towel for the enzymatic action to take
place.

http://www.valetpro.co.uk/Products/I...Odour-Eater-1L

Thanks, yes indeed.

Local valet company said enzyme cleaner too, and we are going that route
at the moment.

Failing that, we will look at ripping out the carpets.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Sep, 22:24, Ron wrote:
[...]

Try the Prochem stuff first.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message

On Sep 24, 10:11 am, Dave wrote:

Plenty of ventilation. A smell is only a chemical that eventually
evaporates. Look at second hand car sales places and they all have
doors
or hatch back doors open when the weather if dry.

Park the car so that sun shines on the affected area (having cleaned
that as much as possible). Have a small fan blowing on the area and
have the windows open.

I would suggest that would have about as much effect on the problem, as
politely asking it to stop smelling ... :-)

Anyway, there won't be any more sun now for at least 6 months !

That method works well here in NZ

Ah, that would be it then. Your sun is different from ours - it's upside
down ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message

On Sep 24, 10:11 am, Dave wrote:

Plenty of ventilation. A smell is only a chemical that eventually
evaporates. Look at second hand car sales places and they all have
doors
or hatch back doors open when the weather if dry.

Park the car so that sun shines on the affected area (having cleaned
that as much as possible). Have a small fan blowing on the area and
have the windows open.

I would suggest that would have about as much effect on the problem, as
politely asking it to stop smelling ... :-)

Anyway, there won't be any more sun now for at least 6 months !

That method works well here in NZ

Ah, that would be it then. Your sun is different from ours - it's upside
down ... :-)

It may be upside down, but at least we can see our sun. Your sun is
obscured by clouds and the remnants of the Industrial Revolution, so
it won't even melt snow:
http://i26.tinypic.com/2wex5qx.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message

On Sep 24, 10:11 am, Dave wrote:

[...]

Nah ! You can't fool me ! That picture was taken 12,000 years ago during our
last ice age ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message

On Sep 24, 10:11 am, Dave wrote:

[...]

As long ago as that? I thought it was this year :-(

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message

On Sep 24, 10:11 am, Dave wrote:

[...]

What's that nice green island to the west? It looks a nice place to
live, except that many place names start with "Bally".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Arfa Daily
writes

"Matty F" wrote in message

On Sep 24, 10:11 am, Dave wrote:

[...]

Nah, its clearly photoshopped - and the Neanderthals never came to
terms with Windows

--
geoff