Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Question about caravan motor movers

Posted here as uk caravan gruop full of spam

I am getting to the time of life where I don't want to manhandle the van
into its storage slot

The car and van combo is too long to reverse it in

I need a motor mover one that works on to the wheels

Van is single axle not used that often and the storage site is almost flat
so no steep gradients

Which to buy?

Truma expensive but good name s/h on ebay more expense than other makes new
ones

Ecotec pretty much the only seller of these on ebay is registered at a
small house in Harlow so not sure there although the kit appears to be
offered by other sellers under different names. Much cheaper than Truma

Rhyno appears ok uk manufactured again much cheaper than Truma and has soft
start

Any experiences preferences

Regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TMC" wrote in message
[...]

Most people seem to go for Powrtouch because of the good customer service.
I've got a Rhyno which I've found to be OK but the fitting instructions are
poor and the MD is not an easy man to like. He doesn't care for constructive
criticism and regards D-I-Y fitters as morons who won't know what a torque
wrench is, even though the product is advertised as being D-I-Y friendly!
The subject has been done to death on the Caravantalk forum - have a look
(www.caravantalk.org.uk/index)

John M

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , TMC
writes
Posted here as uk caravan gruop full of spam

Though vans aren't my thing, the caravan forum over on the ukcampsite
website is pretty good.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_forum_topics.asp?ForumID=8

(Not a great fan of fora, but sometimes nowadays they are the best
place for getting a question answered)
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TMC wrote:
[...]

Put a tow ball on the front of the car and try pushing it in?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F Murtz" wrote in message
TMC wrote:
[...]

The length is still the same so not a likely solution

I can get it in if I reverse just into the bay on an angle disconnect the
van line it up and push it back about 6 feet reposition the car and
reconnect or push harder for longer to complete manually. However this only
works when the bay opposite is empty which it currently is as it would only
take a very short van.

The storage is very secure and only a few minutes from home so do not really
want to look for another one

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 13:56:47 +0100, TMC wrote:

Put a tow ball on the front of the car and try pushing it in?

The length is still the same so not a likely solution

True but the steered wheels are an awful lot closer to the pivot
point and the caravans axle. Not that I'm any good at reverseing
trailers, but I put that down to the fact that I can't actually see
my low box trailer in any mirror until it's gone too far off line.
Well, that thats my theory. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 13:56:47 +0100, TMC wrote:

Put a tow ball on the front of the car and try pushing it in?

The length is still the same so not a likely solution

True but the steered wheels are an awful lot closer to the pivot
point and the caravans axle. Not that I'm any good at reverseing
trailers, but I put that down to the fact that I can't actually see
my low box trailer in any mirror until it's gone too far off line.
Well, that thats my theory. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave, my small trailer is the same, and I found that by putting a
piece of 20mm white plastic conduit upright at each rear corner it
gets a lot better!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 11:12:22 +0100, Andrew Mawson wrote:

Dave, my small trailer is the same, and I found that by putting a
piece of 20mm white plastic conduit upright at each rear corner it
gets a lot better!

I've had a tuit with that written on for a while. I don't use the
trailer all that often so it's low priority...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 13:56:47 +0100, TMC wrote:

Put a tow ball on the front of the car and try pushing it in?

The length is still the same so not a likely solution

True but the steered wheels are an awful lot closer to the pivot
point and the caravans axle. Not that I'm any good at reverseing
trailers, but I put that down to the fact that I can't actually see
my low box trailer in any mirror until it's gone too far off line.
Well, that thats my theory. B-)

Bracket a couple of removable poles to the corners?

regards

--
Tim Lamb