Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Butt crack

Hi,

My 210l plastic water butt has developed a long (~6") crack in the base
through which all the water escapes. I've thought about trying to
stop-drill the ends of the crack but I don't know what I should seal it
with. Has anyone had any success with this sort of repair, or am I
better to cut my losses and buy a new one?

If I do have to scrap it, suggestions for disposal are welcome

Cheers
- Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Chard wrote:
Hi,

My 210l plastic water butt has developed a long (~6") crack in the
base through which all the water escapes. I've thought about trying
to stop-drill the ends of the crack but I don't know what I should
seal it with. Has anyone had any success with this sort of repair,
or am I better to cut my losses and buy a new one?

I don't suppose this will be of any use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwCPhHezc-o

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2010 15:59, Ian Chard wrote:
Hi,

My 210l plastic water butt has developed a long (~6") crack in the base
through which all the water escapes. I've thought about trying to
stop-drill the ends of the crack but I don't know what I should seal it
with. Has anyone had any success with this sort of repair, or am I
better to cut my losses and buy a new one?

If I do have to scrap it, suggestions for disposal are welcome

Cheers
- Ian

Drill it and clean it up then use a piece of pond liner or similar type
neoprene stuck down with a generous amount of Silicone sealant on the
inside.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Sep, 15:59, Ian Chard wrote:
Hi,

My 210l plastic water butt has developed a long (~6") crack in the base
through which all the water escapes. *I've thought about trying to
stop-drill the ends of the crack but I don't know what I should seal it
with. *Has anyone had any success with this sort of repair, or am I
better to cut my losses and buy a new one?

If I do have to scrap it, suggestions for disposal are welcome

Cheers
- Ian

Drill the ends of the crack to stop it and clean up. Then stick a
piece of flashband on the inside using the primer first. You might
need to use a heatgun on it to get it to fully conform to the contour
if it's a compound curve. The other tape you can use is outdoor
cellotape used for polythene greenhouses etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex7 wrote:
On 16/09/2010 15:59, Ian Chard wrote:
Hi,

My 210l plastic water butt has developed a long (~6") crack in the
base through which all the water escapes. I've thought about trying
to stop-drill the ends of the crack but I don't know what I should
seal it with. Has anyone had any success with this sort of repair,
or am I better to cut my losses and buy a new one?

If I do have to scrap it, suggestions for disposal are welcome

Cheers - Ian

I have successfully repaired a number of plastic and polythene items,
including motorcycle fairing, with a hot melt glue gun.

I was surprised how well it worked.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100916-2, 16/09/2010
Tested on: 16/09/2010 19:40:14

water butt tap? Stephen[_6_] UK diy 11 September 11th 09 02:47 PM
celebrity butt crack [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 28th 08 08:38 AM
serena williams butt crack [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 21st 08 11:43 AM
Yes, butt. No, butt. Inside/Outside toilet?! [email protected] UK diy 0 November 8th 06 12:19 AM
Sorry to butt in. Rory Manton Woodworking 5 April 24th 05 05:32 PM