Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How many madmen does it take to change a light bulb;?..

Just Two.. However put this on full screen and enjoy..

And don't try it at home will ya?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdv_oNq81I
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Sep, 20:20, tony sayer wrote:
Just Two.. However put this on full screen and enjoy..

And don't try it at home will ya?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdv_oNq81I
--
Tony Sayer

That makes all the scaffolding I've climbed look like a thick doormat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 15 Sep, 20:20, tony sayer wrote:
Just Two.. However put this on full screen and enjoy..

And don't try it at home will ya?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdv_oNq81I
--
Tony Sayer

That makes all the scaffolding I've climbed look like a thick doormat.

There are some jobs I wouldn't do for a million quid.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/10 20:35, wrote:
On 15 Sep, 20:20, tony wrote:
Just Two.. However put this on full screen and enjoy..

And don't try it at home will ya?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdv_oNq81I
--
Tony Sayer

That makes all the scaffolding I've climbed look like a thick doormat.

I need new trousers just watching that!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , tony sayer
writes
Just Two.. However put this on full screen and enjoy..

And don't try it at home will ya?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdv_oNq81I

Top link, thanks for sharing.

With youtube, on completion, there are usually a few suggested followup
links for the could you do better brigade but on this one they appear to
be well and truly stumped.
--
fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2010 20:20, tony sayer wrote:
Just Two.. However put this on full screen and enjoy..

And don't try it at home will ya?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdv_oNq81I

Talking as a rock climber...

I can see no reason at all for climbing unprotected like they appeared
to. Particularly in a work environment. What you do in your own time
is your own outlook.

Perhaps all was not as it seemed, and perhaps there is a safety system
in place that I can't see.

If they were truly as unprotected as it seemed, that is utter nonsense.
Total yee-ha disregard for safety.

Such nonsense would not be tollerated in any place with proper HSE
enforcement.

Did I really hear some lame comment that unprotected is OK and allowed
by the regs because it 'impedes progress' and 'is tiring'? Not half as
tiring as a fall..

For industrial working-at-height situations like this, there are various
auto-belay systems which can run up a fixed wire, and require no
un-clipping / re-clipping from the climber. There's no reason for not
implimenting some such system.

Is US work HSE really as lame as this, or am I missing something?

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I can see no reason at all for climbing unprotected like they appeared...

I was surprised by that, particularly when on the pegs for the final
portion - where a single faulty peg might prove fatal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There are some jobs I wouldn't do for a million quid.

Others would say the same of very modest climbs equivalent to only a
few floors - yet one quickly acclimatises, and are no more likely to
fall than you would walking down the street. (though I believe in
proper safety equipment because of the much greater consequences).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ron Lowe wrote:
[...]

I have to say something of that nature was going through my mind..like
even a bosuns chair would be easier, with a winch..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ping Tony Sayer who IIRC has at times to climb masts for a
living amd might offer an insider's (upsider's?) view on what Europeans
wd think of such practices?

Talking as a rock climber...

IMHO rock climbers are by definition bold & courageous. For H&S you
want wimps like me wot only ever went potholing ('cos that way
you got to put a ladder or rope *down* so you had summat to hang onto
from the start).

For industrial working-at-height situations like this, there are
various auto-belay systems which can run up a fixed wire, and
require no un-clipping / re-clipping from the climber. There's no
reason for not implimenting some such system.

All reinforces my feeling of wimpishness having spent today working on a
chimney (all of 6 meters up on a lowish-pitch roof) with fall arrest
harness and self-liner on climbing rope attached to 2 belays. It's a
bugger getting old(er) and ever more fearful of the ground*

*as Terry Pratchett put it "you shouldn't be frightened of heights.
It's the ground that kills you".

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2010 22:24, Robin wrote:

IMHO rock climbers are by definition bold& courageous.

There are old climbers, and there are bold climbers.
But there are no old, bold climbers.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
On 15 Sep, 20:20, tony sayer wrote:
Just Two.. However put this on full screen and enjoy..

And don't try it at home will ya?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdv_oNq81I
--
Tony Sayer

That makes all the scaffolding I've climbed look like a thick
doormat.

There are some jobs I wouldn't do for a million quid.

Wouldn't or couldn't do.

I'm in the couldn't group.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2010 20:20, tony sayer wrote:
Just Two.. However put this on full screen and enjoy..

And don't try it at home will ya?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdv_oNq81I

Reminds me of a prog last week of Fred Dibna putting a scaffold on the
top of a mill chimney. Not quite as high, but I'll bet he would have
tackled it.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
R R is offline

"tony sayer" wrote in message
Just Two.. However put this on full screen and enjoy..

And don't try it at home will ya?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdv_oNq81I

**** me...........
..
..
..

..
..That was soooooooooooooooo ****ing boring !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 15 Sep, 20:20, tony sayer wrote:
Just Two.. However put this on full screen and enjoy..

And don't try it at home will ya?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdv_oNq81I
--
Tony Sayer
That makes all the scaffolding I've climbed look like a thick
doormat.

There are some jobs I wouldn't do for a million quid.

Wouldn't or couldn't do.

I'm in the couldn't group.

I guess I could climb 1000ft. Just

But I would not do it up a tower.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 15/09/10 20:35, wrote:
On 15 Sep, 20:20, tony wrote:
Just Two.. However put this on full screen and enjoy..

And don't try it at home will ya?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdv_oNq81I
--
Tony Sayer

That makes all the scaffolding I've climbed look like a thick doormat.

I need new trousers just watching that!

I'm ashamed to say that I couldn't watch it. I get rubber legs and a
horrible urge to be on the ground so I'd prolly jump off

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes
Just Two.. However put this on full screen and enjoy..

And don't try it at home will ya?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdv_oNq81I

I used to regularly go up 50 - 100 metre towers in Indonesia

but that gave me the willies

You don't want to drop your spanner at that height

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
wrote:
On 15 Sep, 20:20, tony sayer wrote:
Just Two.. However put this on full screen and enjoy..

And don't try it at home will ya?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdv_oNq81I
--
Tony Sayer

That makes all the scaffolding I've climbed look like a thick
doormat.

There are some jobs I wouldn't do for a million quid.

Once the butterflies are over, I expect it's just one hand in front of
the other

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave
writes
On 15/09/2010 20:20, tony sayer wrote:
Just Two.. However put this on full screen and enjoy..

And don't try it at home will ya?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdv_oNq81I

Reminds me of a prog last week of Fred Dibna putting a scaffold on the
top of a mill chimney. Not quite as high, but I'll bet he would have
tackled it.

I might have mentioned before my uncle used to help him with demolitions
years ago and lived to tell the tale

...then fell off a carport roof and broke his neck

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 22:51:52 +0100, brass monkey wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 15/09/10 20:35, wrote:
On 15 Sep, 20:20, tony wrote:
Just Two.. However put this on full screen and enjoy..

And don't try it at home will ya?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdv_oNq81I --
Tony Sayer

That makes all the scaffolding I've climbed look like a thick doormat.

I need new trousers just watching that!

I'm ashamed to say that I couldn't watch it. I get rubber legs and a
horrible urge to be on the ground so I'd prolly jump off

I couldn't watch it either!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 15 Sep,
tony sayer wrote:

Just Two.. However put this on full screen and enjoy..

And don't try it at home will ya?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdv_oNq81I

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by
TheOnLineEngineer.org."

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , writes
On 15 Sep,
tony sayer wrote:

Just Two.. However put this on full screen and enjoy..

And don't try it at home will ya?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdv_oNq81I

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by
TheOnLineEngineer.org."

*******s

did anyone download it ?

--
geoff

From: http://www.theonlineengineer.org/TheOLEBLOG/

I sent out an email this weekend advertising a new video about tower
climbing. It was a great video and I wish I could show it to you but the
person I got it from expressed some concerns about how it reflected on the
tower industry and ask me to take it down. So I did. But not to worry, we
have agreed to work on more videos in the near future and I am sure they
will be as good or better than the one I had to take down.

Sorry if you feel mislead or cheated but it was the only thing I could do.

I will let you all know when we have more videos on tower climbing,
hopefully in the very near future. Thanks for tuning in. Russ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer writes:
Just Two.. However put this on full screen and enjoy..

And don't try it at home will ya?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdv_oNq81I

A shame it's been removed...

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes
In message , tony sayer
writes
Just Two.. However put this on full screen and enjoy..

And don't try it at home will ya?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdv_oNq81I

I used to regularly go up 50 - 100 metre towers in Indonesia

I did of course mean FEET not METRES there

but that gave me the willies

You don't want to drop your spanner at that height

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

did anyone download it ?

Apparently that's the problem, the copy we watched was downloaded and
re-uploaded to youtube, after the guy had already taken it down from his
own website and youtube account.

http://www.theonlineengineer.org/TheOLEBLOG/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2010 04:19, John Rumm wrote:
On 16/09/2010 01:13, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In ,
tony writes:
Just Two.. However put this on full screen and enjoy..

And don't try it at home will ya?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdv_oNq81I

A shame it's been removed...

Not by any chance:

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...-sweat/6op7j9v

I came across this thread too late to see the original but this clip
would appear to show that the climber is using an automatic belay on the
safety wire that runs up his corner of the tower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Chapman wrote:

I came across this thread too late to see the original but this clip
would appear to show that the climber is using an automatic belay on the
safety wire that runs up his corner of the tower.

That video isn't the same climber, or the same tower; the original
climber had no attachment to the tower except when he was stationary.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 23:22:56 +0100, geoff wrote:

Once the butterflies are over, I expect it's just one hand in front of
the other

But the butterflies come and go depending on the exposure. I think
I'd be OK inside the lattice tower on the ladder but I wouldn't be on
the outside and definitely not on the last sections with only
smallish pegs to stand and hang onto with nothing but free air in
almost every direction.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
tony sayer writes:
Just Two.. However put this on full screen and enjoy..

And don't try it at home will ya?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txdv_oNq81I

A shame it's been removed...

Currently at:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXuzrIN_x2M

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , tony sayer
writes

A bit of a bugger if you need a **** as well.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Ron Lowe
scribeth thus
[...]

Well it is the USA and they do have more accidents with this type of
work there than what the UK does. We do have some safety systems such as
"Railok" which you can connect to and if you fall it locks up rather
sharpish but generally in the UK free climbing is frowned on. Most
ascents on high structures are made up one of the stay wires in a small
lift bucket and we don't tend to have quite the same type of aerial
structure at the top.

Heres one of how its done over here, this is a digital switchover aerial
change and as you can see in some of the pix there is a ladder on the
outside but you can go up the inside of the actual aerial part!. I've
done some work like that, not that high 'tho, but it was tied on all the
time which as said is rather tedious but you've only got to slip the
once;!...

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/stockla...dso/shdso5.php

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A bit of a bugger if you need a **** as well.

Only for your climbing buddy below.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Think of the sway on that too!

Again, not mentioned. I imagine it would be stomach churning even in
still air conditions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:

generally in the UK free climbing is frowned on. Most
ascents on high structures are made up one of the stay wires in a small
lift bucket and we don't tend to have quite the same type of aerial
structure at the top.

Seems more sensible, and notable that the company involved over here
were happy to co-operate with publishing the pics of how the work is
done. But the climber over there seems to have got cold feet thinking
the company will take a dim view of seeing how the work there is done.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
A bit of a bugger if you need a **** as well.

Only for your climbing buddy below.