Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default damp proofing an external porch

I have an open external porch on my house, which was added in about
1985. it consists of a breeze block waist high wall on either side with
wooden supports to a tiled porch section.

The previous owner, in his wisdom neglected to put a damp proof membrane
in the breeze block 1 block above ground level so that the porch work
bridges the damp proof course of the main house.

So recently I was annoyed to discover that the internal plaster by the
bottom of the front door had blown somewhat (When the hoover bashed into
it and a huge chunk of plaster crumbled away).

I need to fix this and wondered if I could effectively do a drill and
inject chemical damp proofing as a diy thing or if I would be better off
getting a proper company to do it for me, I don't want the whole house
doing, just the bit in the porch. I suspect a dpc company wouldn't want
to do such a small job and would try to talk me into having the whole
front of the house done.

I don't really want knock down the porch and start again because I quite
like it as it is (apart from this damp problem).

Opinions please.

Angle grinder at the ready....

dedics