Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Walkabout Baby Monitor power adaptor - I cocked up my order!

Here's the story: I just ordered the wrong power adaptor for my
Walkabout Baby Advance Monitor.
http://www.tomy.co.uk/products/spare...parent=3201307

By mistake I ordered the Walkabout Classic Advance Adaptor.
http://www.tomy.co.uk/products/spare...parent=3201307

I rang Tomy, who said they can do nothing to change the order once
I've clicked the Submit button. It is out of their hands. The adviser
said the only thing I could do is refuse delivery saying "incorrect
item".

This seems incredibly stupid (okay, I'll admit *I* was stupid in not
paying attention to the exact wording on the web page!)

Anyway, my question is: The two adaptors on the Tomy Spare Parts &
Accessories page look identical. They are the same price (£9).

Would the Classic Advance Adaptor be so very different as not to work
with the Baby Advance monitor? My Baby Advance monitor has this on the
back, near the connector pin:
http://www.littletyke.myzen.co.uk/legend.jpg

(Sorry about the crap drawing!)

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 11:06:08 +0100, MM wrote:

[...]

Since I wrote the above I've downloaded the PDF manuals for both
monitors and the Technical Specification for the power adaptor is
identical for both:

"Power Supply:Mains adaptor rating: PRI: 230V 50Hz SEC: 7.5V 200mA
2VA"

However, the sales website says "not for use with any other monitor".
Each adaptor has a different order number, yet appears to be identical
in every respect with the other. Okay, granted that *other* Tomy baby
monitors *are* a completely different design, but not the Baby Advance
and the Classic Advance. These are very similar and I reckon the power
adaptors are interchangeable.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
Here's the story: I just ordered the wrong power adaptor for my
Walkabout Baby Advance Monitor.
http://www.tomy.co.uk/products/spare...parent=3201307

By mistake I ordered the Walkabout Classic Advance Adaptor.
http://www.tomy.co.uk/products/spare...parent=3201307

I rang Tomy, who said they can do nothing to change the order once
I've clicked the Submit button. It is out of their hands. The adviser
said the only thing I could do is refuse delivery saying "incorrect
item".

My wife recently ordered the wrong size from Dorothy Perkins, I think it
was and they said exactly the same, simply decline delivery. The postman
was a bit bemused, but still willingly gave us a receipt, saying he had
tried to deliver it, otherwise the item could just simply disappear.

Andy C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2010 11:06, MM wrote:
[...]

well there is a very good reason why both units look identical - the
same picture is used for all four models!

The two you listed have different part numbers - P1242A & P1243A - but
the difference could be as little as a different name printed on the box!

Your label translates as 7.5 Volts DC @ 200mA with the positive
connection to the centre pin.

Unfortunately the label on the adaptor is too small to read, so you'll
have to wait until it arrives.

If it supplies 7.5V DC @ 200mA *OR MORE*, it will be ok

I couldn't find any details on Tomy's website of the differences between
the different versions but it is common to produce a range of items like
this which are virtually identical electronically with minor additions
to offer more bells and whistles for increasingly expensive models - it
is virtually guaranteed that all the mains adaptors will be identical
and capable of providing enough current for the greediest model in the
range, so that 'one size fits all'.

If you're still worried when you get the charger, post a picture of the
label and ask again
--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 15:29:16 +0100, Terry Casey
wrote:

On 31/08/2010 11:06, MM wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Terry, and also to all the others who replied.

Question: If I accept delivery, then open the package and only then
discover it really is the wrong product, will I still be able to send
it back?

I am actually pretty confident, having done a bit more research, that
the adaptor is identical for either the Baby or the Classic Walkabout.
In fact, I found an entry on eBay with someone requesting a power
adaptor for their Tomy Walkabout *Premier* and the model number
printed on the front of the adaptor (they quoted it in the eBay
enquiry) is exactly the same as the one I need! So if the same adaptor
is used for the Premier and for the Baby, it's highly likely that it
will be the same one, too, as for the Classic, which is what I
mistakenly ordered.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 13:31:17 +0100, Andy Cap
wrote:

MM wrote:
Here's the story: I just ordered the wrong power adaptor for my
Walkabout Baby Advance Monitor.
http://www.tomy.co.uk/products/spare...parent=3201307

By mistake I ordered the Walkabout Classic Advance Adaptor.
http://www.tomy.co.uk/products/spare...parent=3201307

I rang Tomy, who said they can do nothing to change the order once
I've clicked the Submit button. It is out of their hands. The adviser
said the only thing I could do is refuse delivery saying "incorrect
item".

My wife recently ordered the wrong size from Dorothy Perkins, I think it
was and they said exactly the same, simply decline delivery. The postman
was a bit bemused, but still willingly gave us a receipt, saying he had
tried to deliver it, otherwise the item could just simply disappear.

This "ordering the wrong one" scenario is beginning to drive me mad -
for myself in my doddery old dotage! I have been kicking myself all
day since I hit the Submit button. I'm sure I'm going senile at 64.
It's not the only time. A couple of months ago I ordered a pizza stone
from Amazon and only after placing the order did I think of measuring
what 23cm actually amounts to! Of course, 23cm is fine for a mini
pizza, but a family pizza would flop over the sides. Sending it back
to Amazon would have cost almost as much in postage (pizza stones are
heavy!) as the ruddy item itself. I've tried shifting it through
Tesco's customer board, but no joy, so it will become some niece or
nephew's Christmas present. I think I'm going to start saving for a
coffin and hope I can get that right!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2010 in message MM
wrote:

I think I'm going to start saving for a
coffin and hope I can get that right!

You can't go far wrong with a 6' 6" coffin :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
If you ever find something you like buy a lifetime supply because they
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Terry Casey wrote:

The two you listed have different part numbers - P1242A & P1243A - but
the difference could be as little as a different name printed on the box!

We have 3 different flavours of Tomy adaptor for baby monitors (long story).
All three have different P12xxx numbers, all three say not to be used with
other monitors, all three are completely interchangable.

Your label translates as 7.5 Volts DC @ 200mA with the positive
connection to the centre pin.

Unfortunately the label on the adaptor is too small to read, so you'll
have to wait until it arrives.

If it supplies 7.5V DC @ 200mA *OR MORE*, it will be ok

Check the voltage - some are 12v, some are 7.5v. Apart from that they
appear identical (the square ones the OP is looking at at 7.5, the 12v ones
are more "rounded" IIRC).

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 11:36:12 +0100, MM wrote:

However, the sales website says "not for use with any other monitor".

Is that "any other Tommy monitor" or "any other random make baby
monitor". I suspect it's a marketing get out to stop people buying a
"baby minitor power supply unit" then compaining that it damaged
their baby monitor from A.N.Other company.

As it appears the technical details in the manuals are the same, I'd
accept the delivery and look at the lables on the new and old PSU's
for the voltage, polarity and current capacity.

Can't help wondering what a 64 year old wants a baby monitor for
though, grand kids? Parents should bring the one they have...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 21:23:09 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Can't help wondering what a 64 year old wants a baby monitor for
though, grand kids? Parents should bring the one they have...

I can hear when Royal Mail or City Link arrive if I'm in the garden or
garage. I originally got the monitor secondhand for a tenner to listen
to my central heating boiler to time how often it switched itself on
and off. A monitor is a useful little gadget. You can set it up so
that you can follow a TV programme (sound only) in another room.
Anywhere where you want to relay sound, it's ideal. Mind you, I
wouldn't have paid full whack for a brand-new one, but secondhand they
can be obtained quite easily, since babies do, indeed, turn into
toddlers and monitors are no longer needed. I expect the cupboards of
Britain are groaning with the things, redundant, forgotten.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 17:03:27 +0000 (UTC), dmc@puffin. (D.M.Chapman)
wrote:

In article ,
Terry Casey wrote:

The two you listed have different part numbers - P1242A & P1243A - but
the difference could be as little as a different name printed on the box!

We have 3 different flavours of Tomy adaptor for baby monitors (long story).
All three have different P12xxx numbers, all three say not to be used with
other monitors, all three are completely interchangable.

That's the news I like to hear!

Your label translates as 7.5 Volts DC @ 200mA with the positive
connection to the centre pin.

Unfortunately the label on the adaptor is too small to read, so you'll
have to wait until it arrives.

If it supplies 7.5V DC @ 200mA *OR MORE*, it will be ok

Check the voltage - some are 12v, some are 7.5v. Apart from that they
appear identical (the square ones the OP is looking at at 7.5, the 12v ones
are more "rounded" IIRC).

The one I've ordered is deffo the same spec as the one I *should* have
ordered. But yes, Tomy do, or did, do other types of monitor and their
adaptors are indeed different.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline