Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default pardon, WHAT DID YOU SAY ??

I've just been trying to talk to my mother on the phone

Does anybody have any good recommendation for a phone for someone who is
old and somewhat deaf?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"geoff" wrote in message

I've just been trying to talk to my mother on the phone

Does anybody have any good recommendation for a phone for someone who is
old and somewhat deaf?

Try the RNID website.

If she has a hearing aid with a T setting, there are phones that can have a
loop system added. Mini-loop fits like a necklace.

Also phones with a second earpiece.

Also phones with speakerphone (probably widest choice)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
I've just been trying to talk to my mother on the phone

Does anybody have any good recommendation for a phone for someone who
is old and somewhat deaf?

You have to expect these things at your age Geoff :-)

I expect your mum finds it very frustrating.

:-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
geoff wrote:
I've just been trying to talk to my mother on the phone

Does anybody have any good recommendation for a phone for someone who
is old and somewhat deaf?

You have to expect these things at your age Geoff :-)

I expect your mum finds it very frustrating.

:-)

I know in principle what is required.

You can get it from the curves of any ear test. Basically 18db per
octave boost above about 800hz to about 4khz, at which point give up,
cos she hasn't anything left up there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
The Medway Handyman wrote:
geoff wrote:
I've just been trying to talk to my mother on the phone

Does anybody have any good recommendation for a phone for someone who
is old and somewhat deaf?

You have to expect these things at your age Geoff :-)
I expect your mum finds it very frustrating.

:-)

I know in principle what is required.

You can get it from the curves of any ear test. Basically 18db per
octave boost above about 800hz to about 4khz, at which point give up,
cos she hasn't anything left up there.

But surely her rip off priced hearing aid should do this for her

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
geoff wrote:
I've just been trying to talk to my mother on the phone

Does anybody have any good recommendation for a phone for someone who
is old and somewhat deaf?
You have to expect these things at your age Geoff :-)
I expect your mum finds it very frustrating.

:-)

I know in principle what is required.

You can get it from the curves of any ear test. Basically 18db per
octave boost above about 800hz to about 4khz, at which point give up,
cos she hasn't anything left up there.

But surely her rip off priced hearing aid should do this for her

It would, if she could get over wearing it.

Despite tests showing she desperately needs one, my wife still thinks
she can 'hear fine without it' and 'its just people mumbling and not
speaking up' and 'stop shouting at me' her father saying 'its awful: I
can hear the sound of my trousers rubbing against each other when I
walk' To which I replied, 'so can I , all the time, and can you hear the
clock ticking?'

'What clock?'

Its the singular oddity that nearly all nearly deaf people think its
someone else's fault.

As when my late mother started to lose her memory, it was other people
coming in to her house and doing things that she "certainly didn't
(remember) do(ing herself)".

My small dog also thinks its a cat. But thats a different aberration.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
geoff wrote:
[...]

I was once in a very quiet place in a mountain hut. There was an eerie
chiming noise that I discovered was the escapement spring of my Swiss
watch. I think many people have ruined their hearing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Matty F writes
The Medway Handyman wrote:
geoff wrote:
[...]

Lying in bed a while ago, I could hear a group of four or five very soft
beeps repeating at regular intervals. It turned out to be the charging
base for the DECT phone on the bedside cabinet, close to my head.

I can sometimes hear noises that SWMBO can't, but OTOH I frequently
suffer (?) from selective deafness, like most married men.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 14, 7:07 pm, Peter Twydell wrote:
In message
,
Matty F writes

The Medway Handyman wrote:
geoff wrote:
[...]

Is that because of the buzzing in the ears that you get several times
a week?
There's a "scientist" in my city who is trying to find the source of a
noise. He can't hear the noise, so he talks to people who can, and
tries unsuccessfully to record the noise. I can hear the noise and
record it on my digital camera. He is not interested, because he is
the "expert".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter Twydell
writes
In message
,
Matty F writes
The Medway Handyman wrote:
geoff wrote:
[...]

We were gifted a PVR (toppy) which allowed the digi-box for the bedroom
tv to be used elsewhere. Shortly thereafter, two moderately deaf adults
realised there was an audible click every 7 seconds which made sleep
difficult.

I can sometimes hear noises that SWMBO can't, but OTOH I frequently
suffer (?) from selective deafness, like most married men.

Too right:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My missus has just started to wear hearing-aids occasionally, but when
she does she talks much quieter (presumably too much feedback of her own
voice - the opposite of someone listening to music on headphones seeming
to shout).
So now I can't hear what she's saying and she says I'm the one going deaf.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , geoff
writes

I've just been trying to talk to my mother on the phone

Does anybody have any good recommendation for a phone for someone who is
old and somewhat deaf?

Specific no but general yes:

Good quality speakerphone[1] with the old duffer just using the hearing
aid in normal mode, apparently the buttons on the latest ones are fiddly
so putting them in T mode is more trouble than it's worth.

[1] Nothing cheap, tinny or quiet on receive so no BT and definitely no
Binatone, something like a business grade panny with good tone. Philips
can be a bit hit or miss.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

I've just been trying to talk to my mother on the phone

Does anybody have any good recommendation for a phone for someone who is
old and somewhat deaf?

It's no joke if you're deaf. I use a BT converse 2200. It comes in black or
white. It has a good inductive coupling, an easy to use volume control and a
loud -ish handsfree facility among other business type facilities.

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

I've just been trying to talk to my mother on the phone

Does anybody have any good recommendation for a phone for someone who is
old and somewhat deaf?

Spotted in one of those catalogues which fall out of the weekend newspapers:

http://www.scottsofstow.co.uk/Extra-Volume-Phone/Product1_22051_-1_29080_10551

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message gvy9o.39366$6C1.34992@hurricane, Lobster
writes
geoff wrote:
I've just been trying to talk to my mother on the phone
Does anybody have any good recommendation for a phone for someone
who is old and somewhat deaf?

Spotted in one of those catalogues which fall out of the weekend newspapers:

http://www.scottsofstow.co.uk/Extra-..._22051_-1_2908
0_10551

Thanks all

a few things to look into there

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
wrote
We were gifted a PVR (toppy) which allowed the digi-box for the bedroom
tv to be used elsewhere. Shortly thereafter, two moderately deaf adults
realised there was an audible click every 7 seconds which made sleep
difficult.

If you still have it, turn off time shifting in the menus. Install the
HDDInfo TAP (third party software applications) and select the disk
quiet mode.

http://www.tapworld.net/index.php?op...article&id=163
:hddinfo-20&catid=3:all-taps&Itemid=57

For anything Topfield (Toppy) see the user forums at:
http://toppy.org.uk/

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , fred wrote
[1] Nothing cheap, tinny or quiet on receive so no BT and definitely no
Binatone, something like a business grade panny with good tone. Philips
can be a bit hit or miss.

That's maybe too much of a generalisation, I have BT branded phones
(made by Sagem) that on a press of a button give a loud and clear
speaker function from the handset.

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Alan
writes
In message , Tim Lamb
wrote
We were gifted a PVR (toppy) which allowed the digi-box for the
bedroom tv to be used elsewhere. Shortly thereafter, two moderately
deaf adults realised there was an audible click every 7 seconds which
made sleep difficult.

If you still have it, turn off time shifting in the menus. Install the
HDDInfo TAP (third party software applications) and select the disk
quiet mode.

http://www.tapworld.net/index.php?op...article&id=163
:hddinfo-20&catid=3:all-taps&Itemid=57

OK. Next time the younger generation call. It is very quiet when
switched off and can still be used for digital reception. All
recording/viewing is done on the main machine, downstairs.

For anything Topfield (Toppy) see the user forums at:
http://toppy.org.uk/

Yes. Been there. I guess hard drive recording is such a huge step
forward from tape that I am prepared to accept a few glitches.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 13 Aug,
geoff wrote:

I've just been trying to talk to my mother on the phone

Does anybody have any good recommendation for a phone for someone who is
old and somewhat deaf?

We checked the RNID website when Father in law (aged 90 and stone deaf)
needed a phone he could use. He's very pleased with the one we got from their
recommendation.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Bush Pardon Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 72 February 4th 09 08:26 PM
Pardon Lottery jim rozen Metalworking 37 April 12th 06 05:34 AM
Please pardon this brief commercial announcement Glen Goodwin Electronics Repair 0 April 11th 06 08:04 PM
OT--Pardon my stupidity, but- Harold and Susan Vordos Metalworking 13 April 15th 05 06:41 PM