Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY near misses

As a follow up to Geoff's post regarding his uncle I hope he doesn't
mind me starting a thread encouraging contributors to recount near
misses they have experienced that could have had serious consequences, a
sort of tribute and reminder.

Here's mine:

As a teenage lad I was helping my dad re-roof a stone walled barn when
he put his weight on a tile batten and promptly went straight through
it, falling through the sarking felt and rafters to the floor below.

The family rushed to his rescue to find him sitting on the floor of the
barn unharmed apart from a concussion and a gash on his forehead. On
looking up we noticed that he had bounced off a dividing wall used to
store a row of scythes hung on rusty iron spikes driven into the wall.

I have no idea how he avoided the bagatelle on the way down.

Over to you . . .

The story of my own (multiple) adolescent electrocutions can wait until
later.
--
fred