Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Moving Kitchen Stuff Around

Hi all

I am trying to update a kitchen whilst keeping as much equipment functional
as possible.
But I will soon reach the point of needing to move cumbersome bits like the
washing machine, fridge/freezer etc.

I am considering tiling the floor by doing the exposed area first, then
moving stuff onto that to do the hidden arease IYSWIM.
Not ideal, but I don't think I can afford the luxury of moving everything
out for as long as it takes me to tile, finish first fix electrics, do
preparatory plumbing etc etc.

So does anyone have any handy hints on easy moving of the larger items, it
is likely this will be a single handed excercise.

Thanks

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

I am trying to update a kitchen whilst keeping as much equipment
functional as possible.
But I will soon reach the point of needing to move cumbersome bits like
the washing machine, fridge/freezer etc.

I am considering tiling the floor by doing the exposed area first, then
moving stuff onto that to do the hidden arease IYSWIM.
Not ideal, but I don't think I can afford the luxury of moving everything
out for as long as it takes me to tile, finish first fix electrics, do
preparatory plumbing etc etc.

So does anyone have any handy hints on easy moving of the larger items, it
is likely this will be a single handed excercise.

Thanks

Phil

When our kitchen was being renovated, I installed the Washing machine,
dishwasher and tumble drier, stacked on that order (WM at the bottom), in
the bathroom, moved the fridge, freezer and microwave into the conservorary,
yes it wal all in the way, and far from ideal, but it all worked perfectly
well while the kitchen was out of action.

Is there no way you could move you appiances into another room for a while -
even a garage - you can feed the WM with a garden hoze easily (Thats what I
did) - you must know someone who can give you a hand to move them out and
then back in again, surely!?

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

I am trying to update a kitchen whilst keeping as much equipment functional
as possible.
But I will soon reach the point of needing to move cumbersome bits like the
washing machine, fridge/freezer etc.

I am considering tiling the floor by doing the exposed area first, then
moving stuff onto that to do the hidden arease IYSWIM.
Not ideal, but I don't think I can afford the luxury of moving everything
out for as long as it takes me to tile, finish first fix electrics, do
preparatory plumbing etc etc.

So does anyone have any handy hints on easy moving of the larger items, it
is likely this will be a single handed excercise.

Thanks

Phil

I bought a set of these:

http://www.sliderz.co.uk

at the Ideal Home Show about twelve years ago and have used them for
moving things, including washing machines, single handedly. Seem to do
what they say on the tin. Better over carpet than tiled floors though.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Toby" writes:
[...]

When doing parents' kitchen, I saved a double unit and moved it into
the dining room, with microwave and kettle on top, and fridge/freezer
next to it. Was just enough to get by with (and more than some flats
have), but at least the kitchen could be gutted.

When I did my kitchen, I kept the sink unit which also has the dishwasher
in it, but I detached it from the wall, with the taps connected using
the washing machine fill hosts, and a large bucket under the sink waste.
That was remarkably useful.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 14:30:36 +0100, TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

I am trying to update a kitchen whilst keeping as much equipment functional
as possible.
But I will soon reach the point of needing to move cumbersome bits like the
washing machine, fridge/freezer etc.

I am considering tiling the floor by doing the exposed area first, then
moving stuff onto that to do the hidden arease IYSWIM.
Not ideal, but I don't think I can afford the luxury of moving everything
out for as long as it takes me to tile, finish first fix electrics, do
preparatory plumbing etc etc.

So does anyone have any handy hints on easy moving of the larger items, it
is likely this will be a single handed excercise.

If you have any under-the-worksurface appliances, there are two things
to consider. First of all, if you take the appliance out will you be able
to get it back under the work surface again, since you'll have raised t
the height of the floor by the thickness of the tile. Second, if you
decide th skimp and save some tmies and time by not tiling under the
appliances, will you be able to remove them, given the ridge that will
form between the untiled floor they're standing on and the tiled "proper"
part of the kitchen floor.
Similarly, toe kick boards under the cabinets. If you remove these to tile
under the cabinets, the TKBs will now be too tall to fit back in place.

--
www.thisreallyismyhost.99k.org/page1.php

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/10 16:46, pete wrote:
If you have any under-the-worksurface appliances, there are two things
to consider. First of all, if you take the appliance out will you be able
to get it back under the work surface again, since you'll have raised t
the height of the floor by the thickness of the tile. Second, if you
decide th skimp and save some tmies and time by not tiling under the
appliances, will you be able to remove them, given the ridge that will
form between the untiled floor they're standing on and the tiled "proper"
part of the kitchen floor.
Similarly, toe kick boards under the cabinets. If you remove these to tile
under the cabinets, the TKBs will now be too tall to fit back in place.

And leave enough room for appliances to go in. A friend moved into a
rented house recently with a brand new kitchen when the fridge wouldn't
go into a 60cm recess because of a door architrave and the dishwasher
door couldn't open due to a radiator.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2010 14:30, TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

I am trying to update a kitchen whilst keeping as much equipment functional
as possible.
But I will soon reach the point of needing to move cumbersome bits like the
washing machine, fridge/freezer etc.

I am considering tiling the floor by doing the exposed area first, then
moving stuff onto that to do the hidden arease IYSWIM.
Not ideal, but I don't think I can afford the luxury of moving everything
out for as long as it takes me to tile, finish first fix electrics, do
preparatory plumbing etc etc.

So does anyone have any handy hints on easy moving of the larger items, it
is likely this will be a single handed excercise.

In my experience, I have used two or three pieces of thin MDF or hard
board to do this. Tile as much of the floor as you can, but leaving a
gap in front of the appliances you want to move. Move them out from the
wall a little, place board on the floor and tilt appliance back and push
under the board until you hit the back feet. (You need the right soles
on your footwear for this.) Tilt appliance forward and pull, It should
then slip easily over the board.

If you can't get what you are moving, to where you want it, put another
board under the first one and slide again. The boards have to be wider
that the appliance and be able to fit the gap it is coming out of.

I had a job as site supervisor at a primary school.
I did this when the b*ggers ordered MDF cased cupboards. I couldn't even
pull them over to move them on a sack truck and their destination was
onto a carpeted classroom floor, so no chance there of sliding them into
position there.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:

I bought a set of these:

http://www.sliderz.co.uk

at the Ideal Home Show about twelve years ago and have used them for
moving things, including washing machines, single handedly. Seem to do
what they say on the tin. Better over carpet than tiled floors though.

I use the poor mans equivalent - a sheet of hardboard shiny side down.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2010 14:30, TheScullster wrote:

So does anyone have any handy hints on easy moving of the larger items, it
is likely this will be a single handed excercise.

That's what sons are for. Mine are nearly 18 and 16½ both over 6' tall
and built like brick ****houses (they must be the milkman's I am only
5'3" :-))
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:46:49 GMT, pete wrote:

Similarly, toe kick boards under the cabinets. If you remove these to
tile under the cabinets, the TKBs will now be too tall to fit back in
place.

But easily cured by the use of a saw. Not so easy to cut down an
appliance though.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks to all for suggestions/comments
Yes I have a 6' tall son, but there's more fat on a greasy chip!
He's weaker than I am (and I drive a desk for a living).

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 28, 5:21*pm, dave wrote:
[...]

Once the floor is covered in something reasonable smooth, an old
blanket works well for sliding heavy appliances around.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/29/2010 5:25 AM, Man at B&Q wrote:

Once the floor is covered in something reasonable smooth, an old
blanket works well for sliding heavy appliances around.

We have a few bits of carpet offcuts, kept for this purpose.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 29, 12:15*pm, S Viemeister wrote:
On 7/29/2010 5:25 AM, Man at B&Q wrote:

Once the floor is covered in something reasonable smooth, an old
blanket works well for sliding heavy appliances around.

We have a few bits of carpet offcuts, kept for this purpose.

The beauty of a blanket is that they are 6' long or more leaving
plenty to tug on.

MBQ