Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Miniature 6 way inline connectors for cable extender

I would like to extend an off-camera flash cable. These are not the 2
way high voltage PC leads but 6-way low voltage proprietary
connectors. I've seen it done with rj45 cable and inline connectors
but my experience with these, even booted, is that the connection can
be a bit iffy at times.

So I'm looking for a better connector solution. Maybe something like
XLR or locking DIN, only smaller diameter.

Anything come to mind to anyone?

ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 July, 12:09, Ian wrote:

So I'm looking for a better connector solution. *Maybe something like
XLR or locking DIN, only smaller diameter.

Mini-DIn (keyboard / mouse cables) or S-video spring to mind, and
you've probably got some in the scrapbox. The video at least has a
locking version.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
..com, Ian scribeth thus
I would like to extend an off-camera flash cable. These are not the 2
way high voltage PC leads but 6-way low voltage proprietary
connectors. I've seen it done with rj45 cable and inline connectors
but my experience with these, even booted, is that the connection can
be a bit iffy at times.

So I'm looking for a better connector solution. Maybe something like
XLR or locking DIN, only smaller diameter.

Anything come to mind to anyone?

ian

There is a miniature 3 pole XLR series connector but 4 more poles than
that I seem to remember LEMO being mentioned. Try Canford audio or
Studiospares. Prolly very good but rather expensive.

Dave Plowman may know more on these....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 13:24:20 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

There is a miniature 3 pole XLR series connector but 4 more poles than
that I seem to remember LEMO being mentioned. Try Canford audio or
Studiospares.

Lemo do quite a range of multipole connectors. Excellent things,
positive lock but easy to disengage. Being small soldering them up
can be very fiddly and required a fine iron and good eye sight.
HiRose (HRS) is another similar maker.

Prolly very good but rather expensive.

It is best to be sitting down when looking at the prices of these
robust professional connecters.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
In article
.com, Ian scribeth thus
I would like to extend an off-camera flash cable. These are not the 2
way high voltage PC leads but 6-way low voltage proprietary
connectors. I've seen it done with rj45 cable and inline connectors
but my experience with these, even booted, is that the connection can
be a bit iffy at times.

So I'm looking for a better connector solution. Maybe something like
XLR or locking DIN, only smaller diameter.

Anything come to mind to anyone?

ian

There is a miniature 3 pole XLR series connector but 4 more poles than
that I seem to remember LEMO being mentioned. Try Canford audio or
Studiospares. Prolly very good but rather expensive.

Dave Plowman may know more on these....

Lemo are good but fiendishly expensive. Can't really think of any
connector smaller than DIN that would be up to it, though.

--
*Always borrow money from pessimists - they don't expect it back *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wow. Lemo are expensive. I think 6w inline locking mini DINs will do
for this app.Toby seem to sell plugs but not, as far as I can see
compatible sockets. Any good places to hunt them might have them in
one/two offs?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
s.com, Ian scribeth thus
Wow. Lemo are expensive. I think 6w inline locking mini DINs will do
for this app.Toby seem to sell plugs but not, as far as I can see
compatible sockets. Any good places to hunt them might have them in
one/two offs?

Save us looking it up .. how much?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 July, 16:09, tony sayer wrote:
In article
s.com, Ian scribeth thus

Wow. *Lemo are expensive. *I think 6w inline locking mini DINs will do
for this app.Toby seem to sell plugs but not, as far as I can see
compatible sockets. *Any good places to hunt them might have them in
one/two offs?

Save us looking it up .. how much?...
--
Tony Sayer

Lemos? I'd have to look it again up to be sure Over 15 quid each
side, iirc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Ian wrote:
Wow. Lemo are expensive.

I did warn you. ;-)

I think 6w inline locking mini DINs will do
for this app.Toby seem to sell plugs but not, as far as I can see
compatible sockets. Any good places to hunt them might have them in
one/two offs?

RS Components? CPC? Farnell? Rapid? But these usually have some form of
small order charge - if only the P&P. You could try Ebay.

--
*If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Drawn a blank regrettably. Looks like a choice between rj45 and big
DIN.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Drawn a blank regrettably. Looks like a choice between rj45 and big
DIN.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Ian wrote:
Drawn a blank regrettably. Looks like a choice between rj45 and big
DIN.

Did wonder. Good quality latching DINs should be ok and lighter than XLRs.

--
*Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Went with latching DINs. Don't like rj45s for this and the thought of
what happens if I accidentally stick a crossover cable in there made
my mind up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Ian wrote:
Went with latching DINs. Don't like rj45s for this and the thought of
what happens if I accidentally stick a crossover cable in there made
my mind up.

Doubt an RJ45 would stand up to much abuse - it's designed to plug into
something fixed.

There are ring locking DIN plugs IIRC made by Touchel that might be better
quality than the average latching type - they're used on some microphones.

--
*Whatever kind of look you were going for, you missed.