Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flooring material for hallway and loo combined?

I'm not much of an interior designer! I need to cover the bare concrete
floor in my house's hallway, and the loo which opens onto the hallway. I
want to use something that's washable, because part of the floor will be in
the loo and part will be in the hallway, where people tend to come in with
muddy shoes. Anyone suggest a flooring material that won't cost a fortune,
yet will be durable and good looking?

Many thanks,

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 July, 21:08, "AL_z" wrote:
I'm not much of an interior designer! I need to cover the bare concrete
floor in my house's hallway, and the loo which opens onto the hallway. I
want to use something that's washable, because part of the floor will be in
the loo and part will be in the hallway, where people tend to come in with
muddy shoes. Anyone suggest a flooring material that won't cost a fortune,
yet will be durable and good looking?

Many thanks,

Al

Is the concrete surface in good condition?

You might look at industrial floor coatings:

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/t/TOREPXFP/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If it's a relatively small area, something like Altro or Marmoleum?

http://www.styleflooring.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 July, 21:08, "AL_z" wrote:
I'm not much of an interior designer! I need to cover the bare concrete
floor in my house's hallway, and the loo which opens onto the hallway. I
want to use something that's washable, because part of the floor will be in
the loo and part will be in the hallway, where people tend to come in with
muddy shoes. Anyone suggest a flooring material that won't cost a fortune,
yet will be durable and good looking?

Many thanks,

Al

Ceramic floor tiles. Random example, Wickes Product Code: 235300.
Look good, last forever.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

" wrote in
:

Is the concrete surface in good condition?

You might look at industrial floor coatings:

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/t/TOREPXFP/

The concrete is pretty good. It has been screeded (not immaculately, but
fairly good). Thanks for the suggestion. It's an option I hadn't
considered.

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote in news:e02147eb-1a7a-42ec-a0b4-
:

If it's a relatively small area, something like Altro or Marmoleum?

http://www.styleflooring.com/

Yes it is a smallish area: 8.5ft x 8.5ft. Thanks for the interesting
suggestion. I like the sound of the marmoleum with its cork backing.
(thermal insulation would indeed be desirable). The appearance sounds
suitable (I want to make a good first imression when people come in the
front door! The cost is a bit more than I was thinking of but I guess it
might be money well spent if it has a quality look and lasts well.

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Jul 2010 22:28:27 GMT, "AL_z" wrote:

mike wrote in news:e02147eb-1a7a-42ec-a0b4-
:

If it's a relatively small area, something like Altro or Marmoleum?

http://www.styleflooring.com/

Yes it is a smallish area: 8.5ft x 8.5ft. Thanks for the interesting
suggestion. I like the sound of the marmoleum with its cork backing.
(thermal insulation would indeed be desirable). The appearance sounds
suitable (I want to make a good first imression when people come in the
front door!

?

Surely the first impression is _you_ rather than the lino.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_z wrote:
I'm not much of an interior designer! I need to cover the bare concrete
floor in my house's hallway, and the loo which opens onto the hallway. I
want to use something that's washable, because part of the floor will be in
the loo and part will be in the hallway, where people tend to come in with
muddy shoes. Anyone suggest a flooring material that won't cost a fortune,
yet will be durable and good looking?

Tiles, stone or slate.

For choice. Around £50-£100/sq meter laid.

Or vinyl or lino at around £20-£50

estimates roughly true when I last costed. May have changed now.

Many thanks,

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 22, 11:08*pm, "AL_z" wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote :
AL_z wrote:
wrote in
:

Ceramic floor tiles. Random example, *Wickes Product Code: 235300.
Look good, last forever.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I wondered about ceramic tiles (the
ones that are meant to look like stone). I wasn't sure if they'd look
right in an entrance hall, but I don't see why not; the Victorians
used quarry tiles a lot, after all.

Al

I've got slate everywhere. Really like it. Sort of greeny grey. UFH
however.

I like slate too. In fact I used some roofing slates to tile the window
sills in the kitchen. Looks fine! Last time I went in Wikes (about 3 years
ago) they had some nice-looking slate tiles. Not sire if they were genuine
slate or resin-bassed fake slate, but it looked very string (more so than
say ceramic tiles).

The toles am am considering at the mo are ceramic tiles attempting to look
like slate! I am considering them, cos they are on offer at my local B&Q,
£7 a sq mtr.

Al

Yes, tiles are good, if you pick nice looking ones, and if you lay
yourself not too expensive. But... why do you have a combination
hallway and bathroom?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_z wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote in
:

AL_z wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

effing good price. My (India) slate was £25a square meter.

If She likes em, get em.

be careful though, there's some truly dreadful tiles that are transfer
printed and thin glazed or varnished maybe..the color wears off damned
quickly. The tiles that look like stone that wear, are a lot more
pricey. £15-£30 usually, or more.

If poss get a sample and attack with emery paper,. If the colour wears
off before you get ******'s cramp and terminal boredom, don't buy em.

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 23, 12:08*am, NT wrote:
On Jul 22, 11:08*pm, "AL_z" wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote :
AL_z wrote:
wrote in
:
[...]

Why not? Every house I've lived in for the past 20 years has had a
downstairs loo that opened onto the hallway, at the same floor level.
One assumes there is a door!

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote in
:

Yes, tiles are good, if you pick nice looking ones, and if you lay
yourself not too expensive. But... why do you have a combination
hallway and bathroom?

NT

Toilet/washroom opening onto hallway... very commonplace.

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 23, 9:52*am, "Man at B&Q" wrote:
On Jul 23, 12:08*am, NT wrote:

On Jul 22, 11:08*pm, "AL_z" wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote :
AL_z wrote:
wrote in
:
Ceramic floor tiles. Random example, *Wickes Product Code: 235300.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote in
:

Yes it is a smallish area: 8.5ft x 8.5ft. Thanks for the interesting
suggestion. I like the sound of the marmoleum with its cork backing.
(thermal insulation would indeed be desirable). The appearance sounds
suitable (I want to make a good first imression when people come in the
front door!

?

Surely the first impression is _you_ rather than the lino.

Not if I'm not present, and an estate agent is showing them the place. (-:

Flooring material Mystery Mark UK diy 8 October 29th 07 08:27 PM
Flooring material on first floor, following chimney removal. Jack Fate UK diy 5 August 15th 06 01:47 PM
using granite countertop material as flooring dno Home Repair 7 June 7th 06 01:00 PM
Laying Laminate flooring in hallway Mortimer UK diy 17 February 3rd 05 02:29 PM
Shop flooring material TinWoodsmn Woodworking 8 July 17th 03 02:22 PM