Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bright work lights, preferably 12 volt

Can anyone recommend some reasonably bright portable work lights
better than the typical 11w or 13w ones that are commonly available.

Are the multi-led ones any good?

I'd prefer 12 volts (big boat batteries available) but could make do
with mains I suppose.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
Can anyone recommend some reasonably bright portable work lights
better than the typical 11w or 13w ones that are commonly available.

Are the multi-led ones any good?

I'd prefer 12 volts (big boat batteries available) but could make do
with mains I suppose.

--
Chris Green

one of the most useful lights I have is a 20W link light that I never got
around to fitting in the kitchen. With a long 'printer' lead or similar, I
find myself using this everywhere. Use in conjunction with a cheap LED head
light, hands are free in ways undreamed of in early diy days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 16, 9:18 am, wrote:
Can anyone recommend some reasonably bright portable work lights
better than the typical 11w or 13w ones that are commonly available.

Are the multi-led ones any good?

I'd prefer 12 volts (big boat batteries available) but could make do
with mains I suppose.

I'd go for one with dozens of LEDs. They won't get hot and burn you
when in a tight spot under a car. And I don't like 230 volt cables in
tight spots either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 15, 4:18*pm, wrote:
Can anyone recommend some reasonably bright portable work lights
better than the typical 11w or 13w ones that are commonly available.

Are the multi-led ones any good?

I'd prefer 12 volts (big boat batteries available) but could make do
with mains I suppose.

--
Chris Green

Google 12v flouresent marine or RV work light, Leds will cost many
times more and may not provide more light yet, flouresent can be 4-6x
more efficent than an incandesant and fairly cheap
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
ransley wrote:
On Jul 15, 4:18 pm, wrote:
Can anyone recommend some reasonably bright portable work lights
better than the typical 11w or 13w ones that are commonly available.

Are the multi-led ones any good?

I'd prefer 12 volts (big boat batteries available) but could make do
with mains I suppose.

--
Chris Green

Google 12v flouresent marine or RV work light, Leds will cost many
times more and may not provide more light yet, flouresent can be 4-6x
more efficent than an incandesant and fairly cheap

I've got a rechargeable LED inspection light which I keep in the old car,
but there's something about the quality of light from that which makes it
not as good as a subjectively similar in output fluorescent mains one I
have too.

--
*Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 16, 3:29*am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* *ransley wrote:

On Jul 15, 4:18 pm, wrote:
[...]

Leds are directional so the light output can be scewed and
misrepresented falsely, they are great for flashlights and spotlights
but for overall light a Flourescent tube rules. Actual Led Lumen
output is just now begininning to reach Flourescents, many on the
marker are still no more efficent than incandesants at around 16-18
LPW, T8 flourescent go from 60-80 LPW and some new stuff is nea 110
LPW. Leds are still not prime time ready because of cost for most
aplications, but I like the flashlights. And a flourescent tube you
can buy anywhere when yours break.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
ransley wrote:
On Jul 15, 4:18 pm, wrote:
Can anyone recommend some reasonably bright portable work lights
better than the typical 11w or 13w ones that are commonly available.

Are the multi-led ones any good?

I'd prefer 12 volts (big boat batteries available) but could make do
with mains I suppose.

--
Chris Green

Google 12v flouresent marine or RV work light, Leds will cost many
times more and may not provide more light yet, flouresent can be 4-6x
more efficent than an incandesant and fairly cheap

I've got a rechargeable LED inspection light which I keep in the old
car, but there's something about the quality of light from that which
makes it not as good as a subjectively similar in output fluorescent
mains one I have too.

I have one of these which is the mutts nuts.

http://direct.asda.com/Black-and-Dec...merch-_-710-_-

I actually prefer the light from LED's - especially when checking plumbing -
water droplets seem to sparkle so the sligtest frip is easy to spot.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 19:33:24 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
ransley wrote:
On Jul 15, 4:18 pm, wrote:
[...]

Got 'discontinued on that link, but DIY - Torches gave:

http://direct.asda.com/Black-and-Dec...efault,pd.html

Nice-looking light - I'm after a work light - thanks.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 15, 10:18*pm, wrote:
Can anyone recommend some reasonably bright portable work lights
better than the typical 11w or 13w ones that are commonly available.

Are the multi-led ones any good?

I'd prefer 12 volts (big boat batteries available) but could make do
with mains I suppose.

I think no one light type is best for all jobs, and a few different
worklights are a good option.

rechargable LED - no cord, small & light, only lights small areas
close up, CRI is poor, robust
Fluorescent - king on quantity & efficacy, but fragile and more bulky
than other types
CFL in holder with wire cover - very cheap task lights, ideal where
risk of breakage is high

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do you have a cordless drill or similar?

Makita, Dewalt & Bosch do cordless torch bodies for their batteries.
Light is usually pretty good, directional head with beam so it doesn't
move around, typically splashproof, 9.6V-12V-14.4V-18V. Can be had on
Ebay relatively cheaply (more than a normal torch, but it uses your
existing multi amphour batteries and fast charger).

Light dimmer switch; can failure just cause lack of bright lights? Paul Soderman Home Repair 22 November 12th 07 04:06 PM
277 volt lights Andrew V Metalworking 20 March 2nd 05 03:38 AM
lights get bright barry martin Home Repair 2 December 10th 04 02:41 AM
lights get bright RBM Home Repair 10 December 8th 04 04:15 PM
lights get bright RBM Home Repair 0 December 4th 04 12:42 PM