Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wickes roundline gutterfittings

I am feeling really dumb. I think to help me you need to know the
Wickes fittings ( although the answer could be more generic)

I want to replace a corning fitting to my aging plastic guttering
system.

I bought a corner fittingf of the Wickes 112 mm Roundline system.

Up the ladder, I could not fit (clip ) the existing gutter into the
new fitting even though it appeared a compatible size.

So I removed the gutting on one side of the corner ( the short length
that joins my neighbours system) and took it & corner fitting to
ground level to better understand the system.
I still could not complete the clipping.
So thinking the was a subtle incompatibility with the old guttering I
have purchased a lenght of the Wickes roundline guttering.
So now , with fitting and gutter from the same system and working at a
bench I still cant get it to clip.

Basically with the rubber seal in place in the fitting and the gutter
sitting on top of the seal , the seal will not compress enough to
allow both "butterfly clips" to to clip.

The Wickes "good Idea" leaflet 60

http://www.wickes.co.uk/content/ebiz...ges/gil/60.pdf

only says
"toinstall the gutter into a fitting, insert the
rear edge of the gutter under the back
retaining lip of the fitting. Ensure that it is
fully home, This is even easier with The
Wickes system gutters. Simple wing clips
are used to hold the guttering in place
in most connectors. This prevents sore
fingers. See FIG. 11."

After rear edge of gutter is inserted with clip down the other edge of
the gutter is too high to allow the other clip to clip into position.

By way of experiment I have tried clipping without the rubber seal in
place. In this case the clipping is easily acheived. But obviously the
fit is too loose and would be useless.

When in place sitting in the channel in the fitting the rubber seal
strip sits about 4/5 mm above the suface of the body of the fitting.

I have not yet applied silicone lubricant to the seal . I canot see
that this will solve my issue which seems to be about the profile of
the seal strip.
I have also experimented with laying the seal strip alternative sides
upwards. ( One side has 6 small ribs, the other has 3 larger ribs - I
thik the fitting came small ribs upwards) But either way does not seem
to make a difference).

Sorry - this urgent Its going to rain.
Grateful for any comments.

thanks
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 July, 23:25, moggs wrote:
[...]

Not all manufacturers guttering is compatable with one another. It
helps to fit the stuff on a warm day when it's a bit more bendy. Or
get a stronger friend to squeeze the clip on.
If you absolutely can't get the clip on, you can cut out a notch in
the gutter where the clip fits on. Take off the tiniest amount
though, it makes a huge difference.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 13, 11:25*pm, moggs wrote:
[...]

Spray the joints with silicon spray
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On 13 July, 23:25, moggs wrote:
[...]

Dead right Harry. Wickes is made by Hunter, B&Q by Marley IIRC and they
don't always fit despite being alledgedly the same size. I've used water
pump pliers before to get the clip over that 'last bit'.

If you absolutely can't get the clip on, you can cut out a notch in
the gutter where the clip fits on. Take off the tiniest amount
though, it makes a huge difference.

Dead right again, you often see these notches on the front edge where
problems occurred during the original installation.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 July, 23:25, moggs wrote:
[...]

I tried Wickes fittings and had the same problem, so I gave up and
used stuff from B&Q (Marley I think). Same type of clips. I think the
Wickes ones are just too tight.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 14, 9:03*am, sm_jamieson wrote:
On 13 July, 23:25, moggs wrote:

[...]

Simon.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for all your comments.

Based on these , I started this morning by smothering the fitting with
Wickes silicone lubricant ( not a spray as Wickes dont sell it like
that ).

It appeared to make an amazing difference. I was able to clip the
joint first time. I wonder if also my leaving the gutter in my semi
outside store ( ex privvy) helped.
It was straight from the store when I was stuck last night.

I should make the point , because some posters had the wrong end of
stick , that I was trying to fit a wickes fitting to a wickes
guttering length so the incompatibility element was already allowed
form.

Now I just have to repeat the trick up the ladder and fit the
existing guttering to the other end of the fitting. But I am more
optimistic now.

Many thanks to all

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 July, 23:25, moggs wrote:

[...]

Well at least you will know the parts are securely fixed together !
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 July, 23:25, moggs wrote:

[...]

No, its the just the silicone lubricant.

Wickes/Hitachi The Medway Handyman UK diy 3 December 21st 08 03:38 PM
Wickes 10% off. The Medway Handyman UK diy 4 September 27th 07 09:26 PM
RIP Wickes EricP UK diy 120 June 29th 07 07:39 PM
re wickes plumbing fred UK diy 4 March 19th 06 12:57 PM
Wickes two mcb RCD CU [email protected] UK diy 7 December 27th 05 11:13 AM