Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ping Phil,

What is the proper way to secure an access chamber cover in a paved
area?

I have a square Polypipe plastic access in an area I plan to pave with
600mm concrete slabs (probably using sharp sand dry mix). The cover is a
sliding fit in the chamber to allow height adjustment. The corners
project beyond the tube but not by very much. Lean mix concrete or..?

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
What is the proper way to secure an access chamber cover in a paved
area?

I have a square Polypipe plastic access in an area I plan to pave with
600mm concrete slabs (probably using sharp sand dry mix). The cover
is a sliding fit in the chamber to allow height adjustment. The
corners project beyond the tube but not by very much. Lean mix
concrete or..?
regards

A sharp sand/cement mix of about 4:1 is sufficient if it's only taking foot
traffic, but put mortar all around the manhole, not just at the corners.

Once you've got your levels and you know what height the flags are going to
finish at, use a stringline across the top of the manhole and set the frame
into sand/cement, but remove the lid first, then once your satisfied it's at
the correct height and no mortar has fell down the manhole, put the lid on
and stay away from it for 24 hours.

I did one of these last week for a customer and had to go and buy a riser
ring because the top was 40mm too low :-(
the ring was 320mm in diameter and 200mm in height and I had to get one and
cut off a measly 40mm.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil L
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
What is the proper way to secure an access chamber cover in a paved
area?

I have a square Polypipe plastic access in an area I plan to pave with
600mm concrete slabs (probably using sharp sand dry mix). The cover
is a sliding fit in the chamber to allow height adjustment. The
corners project beyond the tube but not by very much. Lean mix
concrete or..?
regards

A sharp sand/cement mix of about 4:1 is sufficient if it's only taking foot
traffic, but put mortar all around the manhole, not just at the corners.

OK

Once you've got your levels and you know what height the flags are going to
finish at, use a stringline across the top of the manhole and set the frame
into sand/cement, but remove the lid first, then once your satisfied it's at
the correct height and no mortar has fell down the manhole, put the lid on
and stay away from it for 24 hours.

Right. Polypipe use a huge *O* ring seal but I take your point.

I did one of these last week for a customer and had to go and buy a riser
ring because the top was 40mm too low :-(
the ring was 320mm in diameter and 200mm in height and I had to get one and
cut off a measly 40mm.

Hmm.. not cheap either:-(

Thanks

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Ping: Phil L, or someone else? Graham Jones UK diy 0 April 6th 07 02:29 PM
Ping; Phil Addison The Medway Handyman UK diy 1 March 3rd 07 02:35 PM
Phil Kyle R.I.P? Jim Way UK diy 0 December 14th 06 08:45 AM
Phil Kyle R.I.P? Jim Way UK diy 0 December 14th 06 07:14 AM
Phil Kyle R.I.P? Jim Way UK diy 0 December 14th 06 07:13 AM