Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Socket Location - Faut Par?

Hi all

I read in a previous post some time back about including additional sockets
in the back of cupboards to provide for phone chargers and dust buster
devices. This sounded like a reasonable idea, so I added a double socket
into my kitchen first fix scheme at a point above an anticipated shelf - to
be accessed through the back of a tall utility cupboard.
Whilst deliberating my cooker point options (see Provision for Cooker -
Junction Box) I realised that the double socket is approx. 1500 above floor
level.
Will I fall foul of exceeding height recommendations for sockets at the
first fix inspection stage, or is departure allowed for specific duties.
ISTR a suggestion for concealed lighting to be "pluggable" to reduce the
amount of final fix work needed prior to sign off.

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi all

I read in a previous post some time back about including additional
sockets in the back of cupboards to provide for phone chargers and dust
buster devices. This sounded like a reasonable idea, so I added a double
socket into my kitchen first fix scheme at a point above an anticipated
shelf - to be accessed through the back of a tall utility cupboard.
Whilst deliberating my cooker point options (see Provision for Cooker -
Junction Box) I realised that the double socket is approx. 1500 above
floor level.
Will I fall foul of exceeding height recommendations for sockets at the
first fix inspection stage, or is departure allowed for specific duties.

There is no reason why you cannot have a socket at 1500 above floor height
in a cupboard for your dustbuster if you so wish.

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote

You can put special to purpose sockets wherever you link within reason.
General purpose ones, would normally be placed in the Part M defined
zones - but even those only really apply to new builds.

Thanks again Adam and John

I have already chopped the box into a (what used to external) wall.
Much relieved that effort wasn't wasted.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Part M excludes a kitchen IIRC.

Some people refuse to put sockets as high as 45cm where their trailing
flex may constitute a trip hazard.

Amusingly one developer locally had buyers refuse to buy his
apartments unless he moved sockets that were 1.2m & 0.4m above floor
level to just above skirting height AND paid for redecoration. The
reason was obvious when you saw sockets at 1.2m around a room above
furniture, bookcases, television, tables, chairs, it looked absolutely
ridiculous. The "you must have white switch on grey background" went
in the bin too.

Oddly no buyers complained about the 4-pin energy saving light
pendants - I guess they will later when they try and stuff a BC or ES
in there in the dark, then damage one and find out how much their RRP
is :-)

Some common sense is needed, but that seems to have evaporated in the
past decade or so.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are you running oval between sockets & drops? I ask because if there
is a chance of someone screwing a cupboard through a cable, they will
eventually do it. Some german & italian cupboards use a rear batten
onto which the cupboard drops, others use a screw with adjustable
plate (Ikea). If you use oval or ideally round conduit it makes it
easy to pull out the cable, crimp-repair above in the ceiling or in a
sunk 1G blank plate'd box above the cupboard).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"js.b1" wrote in message
Part M excludes a kitchen IIRC.

Some people refuse to put sockets as high as 45cm where their trailing
flex may constitute a trip hazard.

Amusingly one developer locally had buyers refuse to buy his
apartments unless he moved sockets that were 1.2m & 0.4m above floor
level to just above skirting height AND paid for redecoration. The
reason was obvious when you saw sockets at 1.2m around a room above
furniture, bookcases, television, tables, chairs, it looked absolutely
ridiculous. The "you must have white switch on grey background" went
in the bin too.

If the sockets were at 1.2m above floor level then I am not surprised that
it looked a mess.

Oddly no buyers complained about the 4-pin energy saving light
pendants - I guess they will later when they try and stuff a BC or ES
in there in the dark, then damage one and find out how much their RRP
is :-)

vbg.
My favourite was when the BCO asked my brother why he had no low energy
light fittings in his extension. My brothers reply was "Adam is using them
for a job in Doncaster this week, He'll fit them for you to look at later"

Some common sense is needed, but that seems to have evaporated in the
past decade or so.

Maybe it has:-)

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"js.b1" wrote

Are you running oval between sockets & drops? I ask because if there
is a chance of someone screwing a cupboard through a cable, they will
eventually do it. Some german & italian cupboards use a rear batten
onto which the cupboard drops, others use a screw with adjustable
plate (Ikea). If you use oval or ideally round conduit it makes it
easy to pull out the cable, crimp-repair above in the ceiling or in a
sunk 1G blank plate'd box above the cupboard).

Yes thanks js.b1, all cable in oval conduit with all cupboard bracket
(approx) locations already drawn on the walls!
Not being an electrician, I do like the option to pull back cables in the
event of "issues".

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 July, 16:42, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

vbg.
My favourite was when the BCO asked my brother why he had no low energy
light fittings in his extension. My brothers reply was "Adam is using them
for a job in Doncaster this week, He'll fit them for you to look at later"

:-)

I don't get the point anyway. You can only buy low energy bulbs now
(well, near as damn it) - it's not as if using a standard bayonet will
encourage someone to fit a 100W pearl tungsten - good luck finding
one!

Strange that standard bayonet light fittings, which readily accept
CFLs, are now disallowed, while halogens (less energy efficient) are
fine. For now.

Cheers,
David.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "js.b1" saying
something like:

Amusingly one developer locally had buyers refuse to buy his
apartments unless he moved sockets that were 1.2m & 0.4m above floor
level to just above skirting height AND paid for redecoration.

Some people are just ****s.
I put all my own sockets at hip height, in mind of when I'm ****ed in
old age. When I suggest this to others, they see the point.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "js.b1" saying
something like:

Amusingly one developer locally had buyers refuse to buy his
apartments unless he moved sockets that were 1.2m & 0.4m above floor
level to just above skirting height AND paid for redecoration.

Some people are just ****s.
I put all my own sockets at hip height, in mind of when I'm ****ed in
old age. When I suggest this to others, they see the point.

I cant.

If I cant bend down I wont be using power tools anyway, and hip height
is PERFECT for tripping over when the light is fading and you have left
your specs on the dresser...and the wife has the ironing board set up.

Are you arranging the light fittings at hip height too, so you can
change the bulbs easily?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher
saying something like:

I put all my own sockets at hip height, in mind of when I'm ****ed in
old age. When I suggest this to others, they see the point.

I cant.

Yebbut, you're just a contrary bugger.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "js.b1" saying
something like:

Amusingly one developer locally had buyers refuse to buy his
apartments unless he moved sockets that were 1.2m & 0.4m above floor
level to just above skirting height AND paid for redecoration.

Some people are just ****s.
I put all my own sockets at hip height, in mind of when I'm ****ed in
old age. When I suggest this to others, they see the point.

Being ****ed in old age keeps you young.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 July, 09:07, stuart noble wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "js.b1" saying
something like:

Amusingly one developer locally had buyers refuse to buy his
apartments unless he moved sockets that were 1.2m & 0.4m above floor
level to just above skirting height AND paid for redecoration.

Some people are just ****s.
I put all my own sockets at hip height, in mind of when I'm ****ed in
old age. When I suggest this to others, they see the point.

Being ****ed in old age keeps you young.

Thats a line which is going to get a lot of use!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember stuart noble
saying something like:

I put all my own sockets at hip height, in mind of when I'm ****ed in
old age. When I suggest this to others, they see the point.

Being ****ed in old age keeps you young.

That's motorcycles.
Women do it for a year or two.

Hob location Chris J Dixon UK diy 6 April 25th 07 11:22 AM
PRV location? Mathew Newton UK diy 4 May 20th 06 08:25 PM
Kitchen Extractor Fan Flue Location & boiler Flue location [email protected] UK diy 7 June 9th 05 10:44 PM
Location ?? Matty Woodturning 5 November 2nd 04 02:24 AM
amp location L. Kotney Electronics Repair 2 September 4th 04 06:01 AM