Posted to uk.d-i-y
D55 D55 is offline

Default Big Dig

Hi all.
broken drains.
The drain repair company began work yesterday and what they say is usually a
2 or 3 day job to fix these problems is going to take maybe 5 days.
They've already dug a hole about 4ft square and 12 feet deep and need to dig
plenty more. The updates they've given me, describe the pipework beyond the
back door of my yard
as very poor and loosely connected.
The law seems to say that the pipework up until it reaches the main sewer is
my responsibilty.

But it can't be fair for a home owner to be held responsible for pipework
that is 8 or 10 feet below ground level
beneath layers of concrete!

Has anyone had any experience of insurance claims is situations like this/

thanks.

Arthur.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D55 wrote:
Hi all.
broken drains.
The drain repair company began work yesterday and what they say is usually a
2 or 3 day job to fix these problems is going to take maybe 5 days.
They've already dug a hole about 4ft square and 12 feet deep and need to dig
plenty more. The updates they've given me, describe the pipework beyond the
back door of my yard
as very poor and loosely connected.
The law seems to say that the pipework up until it reaches the main sewer is
my responsibilty.

But it can't be fair for a home owner to be held responsible for pipework
that is 8 or 10 feet below ground level
beneath layers of concrete!

Has anyone had any experience of insurance claims is situations like this/

thanks.

Arthur.

A private sewer is just that and it is the householders responsibility
all the way to the public sewer. What is 'unfair' about that?
Depending on the cause of the problem, a decent insurer should cough up.
By implication you have started work before talking to them?
Call them without delay as they may want to inspect the problem not just
get a big bill at the end.
Talk to the contractor as well as they will no doubt had experience of
such jobs in the past.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y
D55 D55 is offline

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
D55 wrote:
[...]

The insurance company is already in the loop as they appointed the
contractor.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D55 wrote:
[...]

You 'should' be ok then. The contractor is working for them then.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y
D55 D55 is offline

D55 wrote:
[...]

I didn't think of that...I am feeling more hopeful about it.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 June, 19:11, "D55" wrote:
Hi all.
broken drains.
The drain repair company began work yesterday and what they say is usually a
2 or 3 day job to fix these problems is going to take maybe 5 days.
They've already dug a hole about 4ft square and 12 feet deep and need to dig
plenty more. *The updates they've given me, describe the pipework beyond the
back door of my yard
as very poor and loosely connected.
The law seems to say that the pipework up until it reaches the main sewer is
my responsibilty.

But it can't be fair for a home owner to be held responsible for pipework
that is 8 or 10 feet below ground level
beneath layers of concrete!

Has anyone had any experience of insurance claims is situations like this/

thanks.

Arthur.

Conversely it can't be fair for the public to be expected to pay for
your private drain repairs can it?
You could of course have previously chosen to pay for an insurance
package to cover the potential failing but once the problem has been
identified you are too late.
The fact that most of the insurance packages never see a claim is what
makes the insurance company profitable.

Lifes a bitch and then you die!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
D55 D55 is offline

"cynic" wrote in message
On 29 June, 19:11, "D55" wrote:
[...]

Jesus! It wasn't me that chose the friggin England squad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"D55" wrote in message
[...]

Did you check with a cable cam first, to see if it really needed digging up?
These days I've noticed the pros seem to have all manner of crafty gear for
ramming their way though and replacing/lining pipes, without the need to dig
(Particularly impressed by the way they could replace our gas supply without
digging anything up.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
D55 D55 is offline

"Spamlet" wrote in message

"D55" wrote in message
[...]

United Utilities ran a robot camera through the main sewer and probably up
into
the inlet pipes about 2 months ago.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"D55" wrote in message
[...]

If your house was built before 1st October 1937 the
sewer system is the responsibility of the water/sewage
undertaker.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Alan Murphy
scribeth thus
"D55" wrote in message
[...]

JOOI where does the demarcation line lay, at the boundary of your
property as shown on the deeds I presume?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[Default] On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 20:43:58 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
"Alan Murphy" , randomly hit the keyboard and
wrote:

If your house was built before 1st October 1937 the
sewer system is the responsibility of the water/sewage
undertaker.

Only if it drains more than one property.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D55 wrote:

But it can't be fair for a home owner to be held responsible for pipework
that is 8 or 10 feet below ground level
beneath layers of concrete!

Why ever not?

Who else does it belong to?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 21:03:17 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

D55 wrote:

But it can't be fair for a home owner to be held responsible for pipework
that is 8 or 10 feet below ground level
beneath layers of concrete!

Why ever not?

Who else does it belong to?

Well one reason is that the public serwer is often under the roadway or
footpath and if the bit that connects your house to the public sewer
collapses under the roadway, it's your responsibility, yet you are not
allowed to fix it yourself! It seems somewhat unfair that you must pay an
approved contractor huge amounts, simply because you are not allowed to
work on the bit under the public highway. It would make far more sense for
the demarcation line to be at the property boundary, so you would only have
responsibility for the bit you are actually allowed to deal with yourself.

Ours actually collapsed just on our property and also right in the middle
of the road where it dropped vertically to join the public sewer.
Fortunately it serves two houses, one built in '34 and ours in '35. At the
time we were told that if it hadn't been the water company's
responsibility, it could have cost us £10-15K!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D55 wrote:

[...]

Makes my Klargester private sewage treatment plant look an even better
idea - no demarcations as it'd all mine to fix when it fails !

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 June, 19:11, "D55" wrote:
Hi all.
broken drains.
The drain repair company began work yesterday and what they say is usually a
2 or 3 day job to fix these problems is going to take maybe 5 days.
They've already dug a hole about 4ft square and 12 feet deep and need to dig
plenty more. *The updates they've given me, describe the pipework beyond the
back door of my yard
as very poor and loosely connected.
The law seems to say that the pipework up until it reaches the main sewer is
my responsibilty.

But it can't be fair for a home owner to be held responsible for pipework
that is 8 or 10 feet below ground level
beneath layers of concrete!

Has anyone had any experience of insurance claims is situations like this/

thanks.

Arthur.

Yep!.
10 years ago had a non-obvious blockage. Insurance company sent in the
drain cleaners (no efffect). Then the TV drain surveyors (twice!).
Then a team to Epoxy-reline 5 metres of pipe (no effect, as the mole
people were rubbish). Then 2 men for 7 days, assisted by a large
Kamatsu excavator to get down to the public sewer and a small
excavator for access and pit work in the garden. Blockage (a piece of
Vicorian brick) finally discovered at the public sewer connection in
the middle of the road. Then an additional 3 men for 2 days to assist
making good. 9 grand. No insurance representative ever bothered to
visit and not a whinge or peep of complaint out of them. My total
input was the initial phone call and signing off the completion
forms.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D55
wibbled on Tuesday 29 June 2010 19:11

Hi all.
broken drains.
The drain repair company began work yesterday and what they say is usually
a 2 or 3 day job to fix these problems is going to take maybe 5 days.
They've already dug a hole about 4ft square and 12 feet deep and need to
dig
plenty more. The updates they've given me, describe the pipework beyond
the back door of my yard
as very poor and loosely connected.
The law seems to say that the pipework up until it reaches the main sewer
is my responsibilty.

But it can't be fair for a home owner to be held responsible for pipework
that is 8 or 10 feet below ground level
beneath layers of concrete!

It's your drainage system - who else is going to pay for it?

It might be different if your house fell over due to a disused and unknown
mineshaft...

I have a 6" shared sewer under my garden serving 3 or 4 other houses - and I
have to fix my section for my neighbours' benefit. In a way that's worse as
if it goes wrong I can't just stick a tent over the next pit down or borrow
a camping bog and DIY it over a few days - I'd have to get contractors in
fast.

Has anyone had any experience of insurance claims is situations like this/

As you've said they are in the loop presumably they have agreed to repair it
subject to any excess?

I had a flat flooded by the pillock above - they paid for a new ceiling
minus excess, which I got out of said pillock on pain of bad things
happening.

A neighbour in a previous village had a new kitchen due to drains failing
under the floor (newbuild as well!) and subjecting everything to water
unnoticed for weeks until it got bad enough to appear in a visible place.

Anyway, if in doubt ring them and talk it through.

Good luck

Tim

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After 2012 there is a change in responsibility for certain works, it
reverts to the utility companies.

However since the insurers are footing the bill I would sit back,
relax.
Although check what excess there is (£50 £100 £250). The only comment
I would make is ensure the contractors are competent in shoring up the
hole adequately (so a cave-in does not affect the house) and you have
a contact telephone number for them, not just your insurer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D55 wrote:

The law seems to say that the pipework up until it reaches the main sewer is
my responsibilty.

No "seems" about it.

But it can't be fair for a home owner to be held responsible for pipework
that is 8 or 10 feet below ground level beneath layers of concrete!

Whine, whine, whine.

Try being responsible for your own drainage, septic tank and incoming
electricity. Then you can come back and whinge.

BTW, do you not own a spade?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
D55 D55 is offline

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..
D55 wrote:

The law seems to say that the pipework up until it reaches the main sewer
is
my responsibilty.

No "seems" about it.

But it can't be fair for a home owner to be held responsible for pipework
that is 8 or 10 feet below ground level beneath layers of concrete!

Whine, whine, whine.

Try being responsible for your own drainage, septic tank and incoming
electricity. Then you can come back and whinge.

BTW, do you not own a spade?

I have 2. and I've just had an idea on what to do with the spare one.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
D55 wrote:

The law seems to say that the pipework up until it reaches the main
sewer is my responsibilty.

No "seems" about it.

Well he doesn't have such a big head as yours to know all the rules and regs
on sewer maintenance.

But it can't be fair for a home owner to be held responsible for
pipework that is 8 or 10 feet below ground level beneath layers of
concrete!

Whine, whine, whine.

In fact, depending on past ground usage and circumstances, he may well be
correct in what he says (unlikely, but possible)!

Try being responsible for your own drainage, septic tank and incoming
electricity. Then you can come back and whinge.

Bitch, bitch, bitch and whine, whine, whine - when will all that expense end
for you?

BTW, depending on your situation, at least you won't be paying any sewerage
charges to the local waterboard thieves, and if you are drawing water from a
well, then that's even better (and the two togther will more than off-set
the septic tank emptying every year or so) - so what the ferkin' hell are
*YOU* whinging for?

BTW, do you not own a spade?

I'd like to see you digging down to that depth and through concrete with
just a spade - but I suppose someone like you could probably do that sort of
a job before dinner, and only using a Swiss army knife...and you'd keep the
shovel just for the ****!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2010 19:11, D55 wrote:
Hi all.
broken drains.
The drain repair company began work yesterday and what they say is usually a
2 or 3 day job to fix these problems is going to take maybe 5 days.
They've already dug a hole about 4ft square and 12 feet deep and need to dig
plenty more. The updates they've given me, describe the pipework beyond the
back door of my yard
as very poor and loosely connected.
The law seems to say that the pipework up until it reaches the main sewer is
my responsibilty.

But it can't be fair for a home owner to be held responsible for pipework
that is 8 or 10 feet below ground level
beneath layers of concrete!

Has anyone had any experience of insurance claims is situations like this/

thanks.

Arthur.

If the drain is pre 1930 something the sewer authority is responsible.
After then it is not responsible beyond the public sewer which may be
far beyond the boundary of the property(ies) served by the sewer.

The deeds or covenants will often say who is responsible. Often lengths
of drains are the joint responsibility of all those properties served by
the drain.

Water companies sometimes offer maintenance contracts on the costs of
fixing drains etc.

Often household building insurance policies will include accidental
damage to drains. Accidental damage would include damage by subsidence
for example but not for general deterioration.