Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default drain cleaners again

A few short years ago, we had a bathroom refurb and as I am getting on
in years and don't have a vast knowledge of plumbing knowledge, we
brought in a local plumber. He suggested that we reverse the bath, so
that the drain outflow was at the wall end where the power shower is
mounted. I said yes without thinking it out. At the other end of the
bath, the wall and ceiling are dormered.

Two things have come out of this.

1 when rinsing down, there isn't a constant flow of water under your
feet, to prevent slipping. We can't do much about this.

2 The bath drain now has to follow a path that is the full length of the
bath on a slow slope. As a result of this, we sometimes get a musty
smell in the bathroom. Is there any foaming cleaner I can use to get rid
of this smell?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 June, 22:15, dave wrote:
A few short years ago, we had a bathroom refurb and as I am getting on
in years and don't have a vast knowledge of plumbing knowledge, we
brought in a local plumber. He suggested that we reverse the bath, so
that the drain outflow was at the wall end where the power shower is
mounted. I said yes without thinking it out. At the other end of the
bath, the wall and ceiling are dormered.

Two things have come out of this.

1 when rinsing down, there isn't a constant flow of water under your
feet, to prevent slipping. We can't do much about this.

2 The bath drain now has to follow a path that is the full length of the
bath on a slow slope. As a result of this, we sometimes get a musty
smell in the bathroom. Is there any foaming cleaner I can use to get rid
of this smell?

Dave

1. You can get an anti-slip mat for the bath. Some sort of rubber they
are.
2. Your drain trap in the bath is probablty getting "sucked out" by
other fixture(s) (Wash hand basin?) You can often hear the sucking
noise when it happens but not always. Next time you smell the smell
shine a torch down the bath plughole & see if the water has gone. If
so you need to get the incompetent ******* back & tell him to fix the
problem. He should have checked this before he left. It can usually
be fixed by fitting a special valve to the drain that breaks any
vacuum caused by water unning down the drain. (AAV) it's called.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/06/2010 13:17, harry wrote:
On 26 June, 22:15, wrote:
[...]

I hate them, they go all grungy underneath. We had one once, a long time
ago.

2. Your drain trap in the bath is probablty getting "sucked out" by
other fixture(s) (Wash hand basin?) You can often hear the sucking
noise when it happens but not always. Next time you smell the smell
shine a torch down the bath plughole& see if the water has gone. If
so you need to get the incompetent ******* back& tell him to fix the
problem. He should have checked this before he left. It can usually
be fixed by fitting a special valve to the drain that breaks any
vacuum caused by water unning down the drain. (AAV) it's called.

That's a point I hadn't thought about.

Thanks

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 June, 22:15, *wrote:
[...]

All you need is a larger trap but you might not have the room to fit
it under bath. Probably why it was omitted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 17:26:51 -0700 (PDT), Weatherlawyer wrote:

2. *Your drain trap in the bath is probablty getting "sucked out" by
other fixture(s) (Wash hand basin?) *You can often hear the sucking
noise when it happens but not always. Next time you smell the smell
shine a torch down the bath plughole& *see if the water has gone. *If
so you need to get the incompetent ******* back& *tell him to fix the
problem. *He should have checked this before he left. It can usually
be fixed by fitting a special valve to the drain that breaks any
vacuum caused by water unning down the drain. *(AAV) it's called.

That's a point I hadn't thought about.

All you need is a larger trap but you might not have the room to fit
it under bath. Probably why it was omitted.

Fit HepVo - very little space required and no water to be sucked out.

http://www.a-s-m.com/hepvosanitarywastevalve.html
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2010 06:59, PeterC wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 17:26:51 -0700 (PDT), Weatherlawyer wrote:

2. Your drain trap in the bath is probablty getting "sucked out" by
other fixture(s) (Wash hand basin?) You can often hear the sucking
noise when it happens but not always. Next time you smell the smell
shine a torch down the bath plughole& see if the water has gone. If
so you need to get the incompetent ******* back& tell him to fix the
problem. He should have checked this before he left. It can usually
be fixed by fitting a special valve to the drain that breaks any
vacuum caused by water unning down the drain. (AAV) it's called.

That's a point I hadn't thought about.

All you need is a larger trap but you might not have the room to fit
it under bath. Probably why it was omitted.

Fit HepVo - very little space required and no water to be sucked out.

http://www.a-s-m.com/hepvosanitarywastevalve.html

Many thanks for that, I didn't know such things existed.

I'll get back to the group after investigation and that won't be until
the weather cools down.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 June, 06:59, PeterC wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 17:26:51 -0700 (PDT), Weatherlawyer wrote:

All you need is a larger trap but you might not have the room to fit
it under *bath. Probably why it was omitted.

Fit HepVo - very little space required and no water to be sucked out.

http://www.a-s-m.com/hepvosanitarywastevalve.html

How very odd. I was boxing in a bath today and found there is a leak.
Nothing weeping from the taps but the trap was soaking. It was tight
to the ground too. I had to put a jack under the bath to get it off.
Even then the damn thing had been tiled in and gave me a touch of the
nasties.

Do all bath wastes have the same size fitting? The washer in the trap
had gone home and since it appears to be a unit construction it looks
like I'll have to make do and mend with PTFE tape.

Failing that I'll see if they available locally.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 20:52:58 -0700 (PDT), Weatherlawyer wrote:

On 28 June, 06:59, PeterC wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 17:26:51 -0700 (PDT), Weatherlawyer wrote:

All you need is a larger trap but you might not have the room to fit
it under *bath. Probably why it was omitted.

Fit HepVo - very little space required and no water to be sucked out.

http://www.a-s-m.com/hepvosanitarywastevalve.html

How very odd. I was boxing in a bath today and found there is a leak.
Nothing weeping from the taps but the trap was soaking. It was tight
to the ground too. I had to put a jack under the bath to get it off.
Even then the damn thing had been tiled in and gave me a touch of the
nasties.

Do all bath wastes have the same size fitting? The washer in the trap
had gone home and since it appears to be a unit construction it looks
like I'll have to make do and mend with PTFE tape.

Failing that I'll see if they available locally.

Somewhere such as PlumbCenter or equivalent is the likliest place.

Next time I do the bathroom, there'll be an elbow under the bath, a swept T
under the basin to common the 2 outlets, then a single HepVo - no point in
'isolating' bath and basin that are 12" apart.
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.

Drain cleaners? David UK diy 16 June 27th 10 11:19 AM
Drain Cleaners bnlfan Home Repair 0 July 2nd 06 03:45 PM
Drain Cleaners [email protected] Home Repair 1 June 29th 06 04:12 PM
Drain Cleaners Goedjn Home Repair 4 June 28th 06 03:58 PM
Drain Cleaners [email protected] Home Repair 2 June 25th 06 07:33 PM