Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repointing brickwork - grounds for an Angle Gringer ?

I've got a fair amount of brickwork that needs repointing. The wall itself
is not as robust as it should be, so I'd like a "low-impact" method of
raking out the existing mortar.

Is this a good excuse to buy an angle grinder, and if so which ones would be
suitable for occasional use, and which disks should I buy for mortar ?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Mr UPVC" Mr lid writes:
I've got a fair amount of brickwork that needs repointing. The wall itself
is not as robust as it should be, so I'd like a "low-impact" method of
raking out the existing mortar.

Is this a good excuse to buy an angle grinder, and if so which ones would be
suitable for occasional use, and which disks should I buy for mortar ?

If it doesn't come out quite easily with a joint raker such as
http://turptech.co.uk/Jointraker_webpage.htm
then it probably doesn't need repointing.

People do use angle grinders, but they usually end up doing lots
of damage to the bricks.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Mr UPVC" Mr lid writes:
I've got a fair amount of brickwork that needs repointing. The wall
itself is not as robust as it should be, so I'd like a "low-impact"
method of raking out the existing mortar.

Is this a good excuse to buy an angle grinder, and if so which ones
would be suitable for occasional use, and which disks should I buy
for mortar ?

If it doesn't come out quite easily with a joint raker such as
http://turptech.co.uk/Jointraker_webpage.htm
then it probably doesn't need repointing.

Sorry to disagree, but those things are pretty much useless IMO. They don't
remove loose lumps of mortar that are breaking out, only powdery stuff.

People do use angle grinders, but they usually end up doing lots
of damage to the bricks.

It takes a little care obviously, but you can remove mortar with incredible
precision using a diamond disc.

BTDTGTTS

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 22, 7:58*pm, "The Medway Handyman" davidl...@no-spam-
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Mr UPVC" Mr writes:
[...]

I think to give a good answer depends on the brickwork. Eg historic
brickwork normally uses very soft bricks, and anything hard enough to
need an angle grinder should normally be left alone.

4.5" Angle grinder with a diamond cutting disc is a quick way to
remove mortar, but real care is necesary to avoid doing a lot of brick
damage, and for old soft bricks avoiding them is the usual advice.

Any brand will do occasional use. Ability to do lots of work before
dying is what the low end machines dont have.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
On Jun 22, 7:58 pm, "The Medway Handyman" davidl...@no-spam-
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Mr UPVC" Mr writes:
[...]

A masonry bit in a drill works well enough at low speed. I've used the
solid carbide mortar rakes but, other than being shorter, there's no
real benefit. I usually end up raking out by hand with an old
screwdriver and often a power tool isn't any faster.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 June, 20:28, NT wrote:

Any brand will do occasional use. Ability to do lots of work before
dying is what the low end machines dont have.

4 1/2" angle grinders come in at 20 quid (Lidl), 40-50 quid (green
Bosch) and 80 quid+ (Metabo)

There are several differences:

* Features, like quick-release nuts, anti-vibration handles. Usually
the 80+ machines, to differentiate them from the mid-range. You might
even find a switch that doesn't jam on with sawdust when using an
Arbortech (fecking hate that)

* Bearing quality, lack of vibration, lack of runout. You'll get this
on the 40+ machine

* Sealed windings. These reduce failures from dust, but they also
reduce cooling and so you need a larger winding for the same power.
80+ machines.

So 40 quid gets you a good machine. 80 quid gets you a good machine
that's nicer and lasts longer. 20 quid gets you something that won't
leave a smooth polished surface. However a 20 quid machine lasts just
as long as a 40 quid, when sawing stone (which is hard on any
machine).

So I keep my good grinder for metal, and there's a disposable Lidl for
sawing up brocks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 23, 10:58*am, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 22 June, 20:28, NT wrote:

[...]

There are cheaper too, or were, such as dirty devils. I hear they dont
last long.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 23, 1:13*pm, NT wrote:
There are cheaper too, or were, such as dirty devils. I hear they dont
last long.- Hide quoted text -

There is a powertool that I've seen advertised that works in a very
similar way to the fein multipurpose tool. It has a reciprocating
head which you attach various cutters which have diamond teeth for
accurately cutting/hacking out brick or concrete. I'll see if I can
find the flyer unless anyone else knows what its called.

Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Starling wrote:
On Jun 23, 1:13 pm, NT wrote:
There are cheaper too, or were, such as dirty devils. I hear they dont
last long.- Hide quoted text -

There is a powertool that I've seen advertised that works in a very
similar way to the fein multipurpose tool. It has a reciprocating
head which you attach various cutters which have diamond teeth for
accurately cutting/hacking out brick or concrete. I'll see if I can
find the flyer unless anyone else knows what its called.

Dave.

I've seen these used to trim glass fiber moulds. And I saw the operator
put one on his hand and demonstrate that it didn't cut it, either.

The skin just vibrated..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 June, 13:25, Dave Starling wrote:

There is a powertool that I've seen advertised that works in a very
similar way to the fein multipurpose tool. *It has a reciprocating
head which you attach various cutters which have diamond teeth for
accurately cutting/hacking out brick or concrete.

Wonderful things, made by Arbortech. They do make very, very neat cuts
through bricks, and they'll stop dead in a corner. I'm considering
buying one (maybe in partnership with a neighbour, who happens to be a
stonemason) and having it used to tidy up my garden wall and its many
frost-damaged bricks (I buy it, he does the work). Manyana.

They're also great (albeit overpriced) for grinding out tree roots.

They created this for one of two reasons, I'm unsure which.

* They already made the Arbortech carving disk, but that just didn't
look dangerous enough any more.

* They wanted to make the Fein look cheap...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 June, 14:18, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

I've seen these used to trim glass fiber moulds. And I saw the operator
put one on his hand and demonstrate that it didn't cut it, either.

The skin just vibrated..

The Arbortech will rip your hand off. It has two contra-oscillating
cutters, so it will also cut things that are flexible, unlike the Fein-
style vibrating saws.

Does anyone know the S/H price on a real Stryker saw? Is it more or
less than a Fein?

Repointing a (lot of) garden wall: angle grinder? Peter Kemp UK diy 37 January 25th 10 12:04 AM
repointing brickwork 51 UK diy 7 January 1st 07 06:31 PM
drill bit sharpener stand and gringer setup? [email protected] Metalworking 6 January 17th 06 08:39 PM
repointing brickwork therebel UK diy 1 January 16th 06 12:32 AM
repointing brickwork [email protected] UK diy 37 January 19th 04 02:25 PM