Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Corrosion potentials - Al and SS.

I'm assembling a fruit cage kit. There are complications with the
site in that one side wall is an existing shed and the site isn't
square. That's background for the query.

I've two bits of 25mm Al tube off cuts which if added together will
catch the vertical side netting on the shed wall.- there'll be no
downward load on this tube which will be well attached to the wall..
Internal diameter is a tad over 22mm. I've found a bit of 22mm
stainless steel water pipe in the junk box which will do a nice
coupler, but am I right in remembering that Al and stainless are not a
good idea together. It doesn't need to be dissembled so if I just
glued it with say PU glue would the opinion be that it seal the joint
enough to protect it.

Thanks
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

you can get Al - SS anti-seize compounds .... used all the time in marine
environments.

If you are near S.Wales I can let you have some of mine. (about £9 a tube
so expensive to buy for just one job)

"robgraham" wrote in message
I'm assembling a fruit cage kit. There are complications with the
site in that one side wall is an existing shed and the site isn't
square. That's background for the query.

I've two bits of 25mm Al tube off cuts which if added together will
catch the vertical side netting on the shed wall.- there'll be no
downward load on this tube which will be well attached to the wall..
Internal diameter is a tad over 22mm. I've found a bit of 22mm
stainless steel water pipe in the junk box which will do a nice
coupler, but am I right in remembering that Al and stainless are not a
good idea together. It doesn't need to be dissembled so if I just
glued it with say PU glue would the opinion be that it seal the joint
enough to protect it.

Thanks
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
I'm assembling a fruit cage kit. There are complications with the
site in that one side wall is an existing shed and the site isn't
square. That's background for the query.

I've two bits of 25mm Al tube off cuts which if added together will
catch the vertical side netting on the shed wall.- there'll be no
downward load on this tube which will be well attached to the wall..
Internal diameter is a tad over 22mm. I've found a bit of 22mm
stainless steel water pipe in the junk box which will do a nice
coupler, but am I right in remembering that Al and stainless are not a
good idea together. It doesn't need to be dissembled so if I just
glued it with say PU glue would the opinion be that it seal the joint
enough to protect it.

Thanks
Rob

For future ref, one easy and cheap way to make the frame is to use ordinary
copper CH pipe and solder joints - but used loose. I hold the pipes in the
'sockets' by drilling before the joint and using clips made of stainless
coathanger wire to hold them across the corners. It is a good idea to brace
longer sections by sliding a bamboo cane inside. These days you'd have to
watch out for the tea leaves but I had a very handy fruit cage made like
this for quite a number of years. Also a good tip is to use square section
mesh for the cover, as the common hexagonal is a nightmare. You can,
however, if you keep a look out, get woven mesh, which is more usable still
(I have covered a small cherry tree with it...)

Grill Corrosion? or what Sac Dave Home Repair 4 May 31st 10 10:54 PM
Corrosion in wire. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 13 July 30th 09 11:59 PM
Neutral Bus Bar corrosion Savvy 1 Home Repair 4 August 26th 05 09:34 PM
Window A/C corrosion? jt Home Repair 3 December 28th 04 02:55 PM
Question Regarding Potentials for Resistor Failure? SniffMoi Electronics Repair 1 December 18th 03 03:13 PM