Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Treated wood and plants

I want to make some planters out of treated wood. Is there any treatment
that I should avoid?

TIA

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dave wrote:
I want to make some planters out of treated wood. Is there any
treatment that I should avoid?

I've made quite a few planters out of tanalised deck boards - no problems.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dave" wrote in message
I want to make some planters out of treated wood. Is there any treatment
that I should avoid?

TIA
Dave

It's a good idea to line them with old grow-bag plastic bags or similar, so
as to minimise direct contact with the wood - and mean less watering. Old
fence boards and ship lap loaded with old black creosote make particularly
effective planters. A lot of plants - particularly the cabbage family - are
actually bioaccumulations of toxic metals, so, it would not be advisable to
use this for edible crops (Mind you, if we are talking raised bed sized
planters most of the plants would probably be far enough away from the sides
for this only to be a remote toxicity problem.).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dave wrote:
I want to make some planters out of treated wood. Is there any
treatment that I should avoid?

I've made quite a few planters out of tanalised deck boards - no problems.

Thanks Dave, that is what I am looking at.

Dave

Which wood is treated? mm Home Repair 5 October 13th 09 03:52 AM
Is this wood treatment OK with plants Martin Pentreath UK diy 2 March 16th 08 08:26 PM
Is the NEW Treated Wood any good? [email protected] Home Repair 9 July 25th 07 02:43 AM
Pressure treated wood [email protected] Woodworking 4 May 14th 05 04:08 AM
Pressure Treated Wood [email protected] Woodworking 3 February 10th 05 12:37 PM