Posted to uk.d-i-y
mo mo is offline

Default I need to fashion a desive...

That is bit like a garden rake with a flat end but significantly longer...

I am currently turfing my front lawn. I have raked over all the mud and now
need to get it perfectly level.

I connected 2 old bits of wood together in a T shape before and used that
to try and flatten the mud down - it worked to an extent but fell apart

I could buy somehting liek this
http://www.masterofthelinks.com/mast...oodie_rake.jpg

But they cost a fair wedge and I bet I could buy the wood from a DIY store
to get the same effetc

I don't need the rake element of it. Just something that is maybe 1.5
metres wide that I cna push along the ground

I am thinking 2 pieces of CLS in a T shape and maybe a 'handle' on one end
and maybe 2 angles braces at the T end for support.

As there is a lot of pressure pushing forward I will probably need more
connection points to the bit being pushed

Any ideas?

I liek the idea of joining the T liek this as it will be pretty solid - I
guess I would need to splash out on a chisel though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mo" wrote in message
[...]

Lesser mortals just turn the rake over and use the flat side :-)

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 18:34:55 -0500, mo wibbled:

I liek the idea of joining the T liek this as it will be pretty solid -
I guess I would need to splash out on a chisel though.

4 pieces of timber. Handle butted into middle of the "rake" element - one
screw from "rake" into base of handle (handle is CLS).

2 bits with 45 degree cuts about a foot or so long, between handle and
"rake" on either side. Screw into handle and head.

Crude, not pretty, but functional.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts"

I liek the idea of joining the T liek this as it will be pretty solid -
I guess I would need to splash out on a chisel though.

4 pieces of timber. Handle butted into middle of the "rake" element - one
screw from "rake" into base of handle (handle is CLS).

2 bits with 45 degree cuts about a foot or so long, between handle and
"rake" on either side. Screw into handle and head.

Crude, not pretty, but functional.

Yes, I have made something similar, but with approx 45 degree angle to
"rake" face.
It makes the 2 angled brace pieces a bit tricky to cut (mitred in 2 planes).
This means that with the handle held at 45 degrees, you present a vertical
face at ground level.

The difference is that mine is used as a snow pusher rather than a ground
leveller.
Saves the effort needed to lift and sling the snow. If it's the
right-type-of-snow it can simply be pushed to the edge of the drive.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mo mo is offline

One thing I do have

My old rake broke, i.e the rake bit broke from the metal pole so I do have
the pole

Cannot figure out how to get the pole to connect to the wood, i dont have a
drill bit that fat and I doubt 1 hold/joint would do it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:

The difference is that mine is used as a snow pusher rather than a ground
leveller.

My snow pusher consists of the garden rake, with a couple of feet of
plastic drainpipe cut in half and wired onto the front. Both halves of
the pipe for strength. Worked a treat. Still intact as I haven't
needed the rake yet!

Andy