DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!.. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/304752-those-car-abs-ecu-problems%3B.html)

tony sayer June 13th 10 01:07 PM

For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

Might be of interest to those who do their own car DIY.

We run, as a second car, an elderly Volvo 850 estate and apart from
being quite old (1996) she still runs fine and is quite adequate for
what we need.

However the MOT test the other day threw up that the ABS light wasn't
behaving quite as it ought and the TRACS system wasn't quite what it
should be either, and a diagnostic test showed the ABS controller was
reporting that the hydraulic pump was U/S apart from other misc faults.

Much shaking of heads at the small local garage and lots of whistling
thru the teeth that its going to cost yer a small fortune as a new one
at the Volvo dealer will be a lot more then what the cars ever worth, so
off to the scrap heap for the 850 :-(.

Thats until a web search threw up,

http://www.ecutesting.com/

Unit returned for testing and as they expected found to be faulty with
all the usual faults they have. Kept informed by several texts of the
progress and unit very quickly returned with a bill for £145 plus VAT.
Refitted unit, cured the problem completely and car now back in service
and should be OK for sometime yet.

Seems this is the new way that older cars die off now with "electronic
problems" this one still mechanically fine at 150K miles not bit a bit
of rust anywhere, so good result all around.

No connection apart from being a very satisfied customer etc:)...
--
Tony Sayer

[email protected] June 13th 10 01:18 PM

For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

Unit returned for testing and as they expected found to be faulty with
all the usual faults they have...

What sort of faults? Other than dodgy connections, what faults can
these presumably all-digital units develop? Or are there analogue/
power electronics in there that fail/drift out of spec?

js.b1 June 13th 10 01:19 PM

For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

Is now a good time to tell you that many recent ECU are conformance
coated or encapsulated so as to prevent "intellectual property theft"?
Therein rendering a car a writeoff with a diagnostic & replacement ECU
bill of 3500+?

tony sayer June 13th 10 02:14 PM

For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

In article
s.com, js.b1 scribeth thus
Is now a good time to tell you that many recent ECU are conformance
coated or encapsulated so as to prevent "intellectual property theft"?
Therein rendering a car a writeoff with a diagnostic & replacement ECU
bill of 3500+?

Well it seems that some ECU's are coded to the car but then again the
firm I refer to seems to be coping very well with recent "electronic"
units and there are others doing the same thing.

I don't think that there're at all interested in IPT just getting the
hapless motorist back on the road at an affordable price;!..

--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer June 13th 10 02:15 PM

For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

In article
s.com, scribeth thus

Unit returned for testing and as they expected found to be faulty with
all the usual faults they have...

What sort of faults? Other than dodgy connections, what faults can
these presumably all-digital units develop? Or are there analogue/
power electronics in there that fail/drift out of spec?

Well if its like the PCB in our Suprima boiler its simple dry joint
problems with the odd resistor being of a too low rating but then again
an exchange one there has seen that working fine again:-)..

Just because its digital doesn't make it free from fault's all!..
--
Tony Sayer

Bob Minchin[_4_] June 13th 10 02:31 PM

js.b1 wrote:
Is now a good time to tell you that many recent ECU are conformance
coated or encapsulated so as to prevent "intellectual property theft"?
Therein rendering a car a writeoff with a diagnostic& replacement ECU
bill of 3500+?

Might you be confusing 'conformance coating' with conformal coating? The
latter is a protection against some environmental effects such as
humidity and as a secondary effect makes them a little more difficult to
trace the circuitry and needs local stripping to repair.

Bob

zulu[_2_] June 13th 10 03:19 PM

For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article
s.com, js.b1 scribeth thus
Is now a good time to tell you that many recent ECU are conformance
coated or encapsulated so as to prevent "intellectual property theft"?
Therein rendering a car a writeoff with a diagnostic & replacement ECU
bill of 3500+?

Well it seems that some ECU's are coded to the car but then again the
firm I refer to seems to be coping very well with recent "electronic"
units and there are others doing the same thing.

I don't think that there're at all interested in IPT just getting the
hapless motorist back on the road at an affordable price;!..

Tony 1
System nil

:-)

--

¦zulu¦ VIP

js.b1 June 13th 10 03:45 PM

For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

On Jun 13, 2:31*pm, Bob Minchin
wrote:
Might you be confusing 'conformance coating' with conformal coating? The
latter is a protection against some environmental effects such as
humidity and as a secondary effect makes them a little more difficult to
trace the circuitry and needs local stripping to repair.

The coating, or in some cases potting, was non-removable.
It was found on recent common rail turbo diesel, when challenged the
argument was that it was to protect software intellectual property. It
is true that every car maker strips & reverse engineers its
competitors products right down to software. The car concerned was
written off (the bill exceeded 5500), interestingly the insurers paid
out.

The ability to repair car computers is very important - it is not
unknown for spares to go unavailable. Citreon did this IIRC with ABS
systems on the XM, and it may happen again where manufacturers move
from independent computers to integrated computers to bus system. Not
sure I would want a Saab with a view to very long term ownership for
example, but repairable makes all the difference. As long as it is not
potted, it is repairable if necessary scavaging parts from another ECU
if they are unmarked or indecipherable.

The motor industry of course would love "sealed field replaceable
units" and does do that with certain parts, eg, no ring gear separate
from the flywheel - you have to buy the flywheel, not so bad when a
lump of cast iron but costly when DMF. Always amusing to see £135
oxygen sensor, and some cars used to have as many as 6, when a generic
could be had for £100 less. Still amazed at the ripoff of hall effect
switch re ABS, crankshaft, distributor etc. Then again some charge
£250-450 for software updates which I find quite outrageous. Who do
they think they are... Microsoft :-)

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] June 13th 10 03:58 PM

wrote:
Unit returned for testing and as they expected found to be faulty with
all the usual faults they have...

What sort of faults? Other than dodgy connections, what faults can
these presumably all-digital units develop? Or are there analogue/
power electronics in there that fail/drift out of spec?

I think the latter is likely to be the case.

I remember hiring a Ford once: halfway to where I was going te dashboard
quit. I phoned up teh car hire, who told me to carry on. No speedo, no
gauges, nada! I found an AA man parked by the road side and asked him
...."bad earth on it, hit it with the heel of your 'and'"

Voila!.

crap car.

Good advice.

Graham.[_2_] June 13th 10 04:14 PM

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote in message ...
wrote:
Unit returned for testing and as they expected found to be faulty with
all the usual faults they have...

What sort of faults? Other than dodgy connections, what faults can
these presumably all-digital units develop? Or are there analogue/
power electronics in there that fail/drift out of spec?

I think the latter is likely to be the case.

I remember hiring a Ford once: halfway to where I was going te dashboard quit. I phoned up teh car hire, who told me to carry on.
No speedo, no gauges, nada! I found an AA man parked by the road side and asked him ..."bad earth on it, hit it with the heel of
your 'and'"

Voila!.

crap car.

Good advice.

Absolutely. First rule of electronic repair, hit it.
if that doesn't work, hit it again, harder.

When you are as experienced as me you will do this without prompting :)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Andy Cap June 13th 10 04:16 PM

js.b1 wrote:

[...]

It's so important that I think there should be legislation that units
are economically repairable and parts available, else subsequent
ownership become an increasingly uneconomic prospect and we have to
recycle earlier than should be the case. With so much concern over waste
energy, allowing manufacturer to falsely inflate demand in this way is
stupidly counter-productive. Likewise with boilers, that are
unnecessarily complex and therefore short-lived in comparison with their
predecessors. The fuel savings are lost in increased maintenance,
manufacture and replacement costs.

Andy C

js.b1 June 13th 10 04:30 PM

On Jun 13, 4:16*pm, Andy Cap wrote:
It's so important that I think there should be legislation that units
are economically repairable and parts available, else subsequent
ownership become an increasingly uneconomic prospect and we have to
recycle earlier than should be the case. With so much concern over waste
energy, allowing manufacturer to falsely inflate demand in this way is
stupidly counter-productive. Likewise with boilers, that are
unnecessarily complex and therefore short-lived in comparison with their
predecessors. The fuel savings are lost in increased maintenance,
manufacture and replacement costs.

That logic was lost on the scrappage scheme...
.... or fluorescent light bulb mercury waste...
.... or photovoltaic subsidy...

There is a 10yr rule re car parts in EU, however I believe there is a
"get out".

geoff June 13th 10 04:41 PM

For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

In message , tony sayer
writes
In article
s.com, scribeth thus

Unit returned for testing and as they expected found to be faulty with
all the usual faults they have...

What sort of faults? Other than dodgy connections, what faults can
these presumably all-digital units develop? Or are there analogue/
power electronics in there that fail/drift out of spec?

Well if its like the PCB in our Suprima boiler its simple dry joint
problems with the odd resistor being of a too low rating but then again
an exchange one there has seen that working fine again:-)..

Just because its digital doesn't make it free from fault's all!..

ECUs seem to be made to last, they have well built pcbs and are well
conformally coated with plated through holes

The Suprima pcb, on the other hand ...

--
geoff

dave June 13th 10 04:41 PM

On 13/06/2010 16:14, Graham. wrote:
"The Natural wrote in message ...
wrote:
[...]

I have one of the last of the Rover cars that I bought just before they
collapsed. It has a digital clock and traffic master built in. The clock
has failed to display the full time for a while now and the traffic
master display is going the same way.

I know what the problem is, but the garage tell me that to get the
display out will cost me an arm and a leg. I plan to get a Pifco
massager on it to remove/disturb the crud that is causing the problem.

Dave

Ron Lowe[_3_] June 13th 10 06:11 PM

For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

On 13/06/2010 16:14, Graham. wrote:
"hit it with the heel of
your 'and'"

Absolutely. First rule of electronic repair, hit it.
if that doesn't work, hit it again, harder.

When you are as experienced as me you will do this without prompting :)

Absolutely.

In our electronics lab where we maintain *very* expensive electronic and
electro/hydraulic equipment, whacking things with a rubber hammer is a
standard fault-finding technique.

The vast majority of faults are not fancy electronic failures.
90% are mechanical, connector, chaffed wire, etc.
Of the remaining 10% electronic problems, 90% of those are PSU-related.
Only a very small percentage is actual gubbins-failure.

--
Ron

tony sayer June 13th 10 07:15 PM

For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

In article , geoff
scribeth thus
In message , tony sayer
writes
In article
s.com, scribeth thus

Unit returned for testing and as they expected found to be faulty with
all the usual faults they have...

What sort of faults? Other than dodgy connections, what faults can
these presumably all-digital units develop? Or are there analogue/
power electronics in there that fail/drift out of spec?

Well if its like the PCB in our Suprima boiler its simple dry joint
problems with the odd resistor being of a too low rating but then again
an exchange one there has seen that working fine again:-)..

Just because its digital doesn't make it free from fault's all!..

ECUs seem to be made to last, they have well built pcbs and are well
conformally coated with plated through holes

The Suprima pcb, on the other hand ...

Now don't bite the hand that feeds you;!...

--
Tony Sayer

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] June 13th 10 09:46 PM

Andy Cap wrote:
js.b1 wrote:

[...]

There is a law. Not sure how it applies to electro9niucs BUT it has been
European law for some time that manufacturers must make their drawings
and specifications available for 3rd party manufacturers.

So that standard parts like bearings, tyres, shocks, springs clutches
brake linings etc can be 3rd party sourced. Whether its worthwhile for
e.g. ECU stuff is a moot point.

BUT there are really only 5 ECU manufacturers IIRC, the rest is all
mappings to specific car/engine combinations. I.e. software.

With so much concern over waste
energy, allowing manufacturer to falsely inflate demand in this way is
stupidly counter-productive. Likewise with boilers, that are
unnecessarily complex and therefore short-lived in comparison with their
predecessors. The fuel savings are lost in increased maintenance,
manufacture and replacement costs.

cant comment on boilers.

Sounds like a good case for after market open source replacement
controllers :-)

Andy C

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] June 13th 10 10:04 PM

Ron Lowe wrote:
On 13/06/2010 16:14, Graham. wrote:
"hit it with the heel of
your 'and'"

Absolutely. First rule of electronic repair, hit it.
if that doesn't work, hit it again, harder.

When you are as experienced as me you will do this without prompting :)

Absolutely.

In our electronics lab where we maintain *very* expensive electronic and
electro/hydraulic equipment, whacking things with a rubber hammer is a
standard fault-finding technique.

The vast majority of faults are not fancy electronic failures.
90% are mechanical, connector, chaffed wire, etc.
Of the remaining 10% electronic problems, 90% of those are PSU-related.
Only a very small percentage is actual gubbins-failure.

yeah. The chips never go: the connectors always do.

My In laws had a rover ..and teh windows winders packed up - he left te
window open and it gotr wet.

He got a replacement from a scrappy, but it wasn't quite the same.

I opened up the old unit, and washed it in acetone to get the crud out,
then went to work with contact cleaner on all the corrosion, and
eventually it worked again.

geoff June 13th 10 10:05 PM

For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Andy Cap wrote:
js.b1 wrote:

[...]

Not really

The problem lies with insurance

If a boiler goes up because of e.g. Explosive ignition, the
manufacturers would jump on the 3rd party control

Fitting non standard parts to a boiler has the potential to invalidate
the warranty. That's why I'm very careful to repair and not modify, even
if there is an obvious improvement to be made

--
geoff

Andy Champ[_2_] June 13th 10 10:48 PM

geoff wrote:

Not really

The problem lies with insurance

If a boiler goes up because of e.g. Explosive ignition, the
manufacturers would jump on the 3rd party control

Fitting non standard parts to a boiler has the potential to invalidate
the warranty. That's why I'm very careful to repair and not modify, even
if there is an obvious improvement to be made

I'm really not convinced that the risk from faulty boiler parts is
higher than that from faulty car parts.

Andy

Rick... (The other Rick) June 13th 10 10:59 PM

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 05:18:22 -0700 (PDT), " wrote:

Unit returned for testing and as they expected found to be faulty with
all the usual faults they have...

What sort of faults? Other than dodgy connections, what faults can
these presumably all-digital units develop? Or are there analogue/
power electronics in there that fail/drift out of spec?

Volvo ABS ECU's from the 90's (late 850, early V70) were notorious for having dry joints.

See http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=72655 for instructions on how to fix the unit

Rick... (The other Rick)

geoff June 13th 10 11:18 PM

For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

In message , Andy Champ
writes
geoff wrote:
Not really
The problem lies with insurance
If a boiler goes up because of e.g. Explosive ignition, the
manufacturers would jump on the 3rd party control
Fitting non standard parts to a boiler has the potential to
invalidate the warranty. That's why I'm very careful to repair and
not modify, even if there is an obvious improvement to be made

I'm really not convinced that the risk from faulty boiler parts is
higher than that from faulty car parts.

I didn't say it was higher

I said that there were implications

another point I have just thought of is that it is one thing to fit a
pattern part yourself, but I doubt you would find many fitters who would
do it for you

For that reason alone, there is little chance of them being made in
sufficient quantities to make them cheaply enough

Several have tried, and failed

--
geoff

Dave Liquorice[_2_] June 14th 10 12:34 AM

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 18:11:45 +0100, Ron Lowe wrote:

The vast majority of faults are not fancy electronic failures. 90% are
mechanical, connector, chaffed wire, etc. Of the remaining 10%
electronic problems, 90% of those are PSU-related. Only a very small
percentage is actual gubbins-failure.

I like that breakdown, it's about right. I'd add that a lot of the
rare actual gubbins failures can be put down to the PSU throwing a
wobbly or a spike/dip in the supply.

If stuff survives the first few days or weeks of regular use it will
essentially last forever. Always assuming that it has been designed
well, no components right up at the top of their power rating with
inadequate methods of removing the heat resulting in scorched circuit
boards and weakend joints after a year or three of use or simple
component failure due to being under too much stress.

--
Cheers
Dave.

geoff June 14th 10 01:17 AM

For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 18:11:45 +0100, Ron Lowe wrote:

The vast majority of faults are not fancy electronic failures. 90% are
mechanical, connector, chaffed wire, etc. Of the remaining 10%
electronic problems, 90% of those are PSU-related. Only a very small
percentage is actual gubbins-failure.

I like that breakdown, it's about right. I'd add that a lot of the
rare actual gubbins failures can be put down to the PSU throwing a
wobbly or a spike/dip in the supply.

If stuff survives the first few days or weeks of regular use it will
essentially last forever. Always assuming that it has been designed
well, no components right up at the top of their power rating with
inadequate methods of removing the heat resulting in scorched circuit
boards and weakend joints after a year or three of use or simple
component failure due to being under too much stress.

Lovely sweeping statements based on invalid assumptions there

--
geoff

Dave Osborne[_2_] June 14th 10 08:41 AM

For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

geoff wrote:
In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes

If stuff survives the first few days or weeks of regular use it will
essentially last forever. Always assuming that it has been designed
well, no components right up at the top of their power rating with
inadequate methods of removing the heat resulting in scorched circuit
boards and weakend joints after a year or three of use or simple
component failure due to being under too much stress.

Lovely sweeping statements based on invalid assumptions there

Not at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

Tim Lamb[_2_] June 14th 10 09:26 AM

For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

In message , geoff
writes
In message o.uk,
Dave Liquorice writes
[...]

I'm very glad to find there are so many ECU experts present as I just
happen to have a *dead* '97 Golf Gti obstructing one of my barns.

Progress so far has been limited to joining the VW forum.

I have some hay to cut but I will be back:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Tim Watts June 14th 10 09:42 AM

For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 00:34:12 +0100, "Dave Liquorice"
wibbled:

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 18:11:45 +0100, Ron Lowe wrote:

The vast majority of faults are not fancy electronic failures. 90% are
mechanical, connector, chaffed wire, etc. Of the remaining 10%
electronic problems, 90% of those are PSU-related. Only a very small
percentage is actual gubbins-failure.

I like that breakdown, it's about right. I'd add that a lot of the rare
actual gubbins failures can be put down to the PSU throwing a wobbly or
a spike/dip in the supply.

If stuff survives the first few days or weeks of regular use it will
essentially last forever. Always assuming that it has been designed
well, no components right up at the top of their power rating with
inadequate methods of removing the heat resulting in scorched circuit
boards and weakend joints after a year or three of use or simple
component failure due to being under too much stress.

Electrolytic capacitors a a weak point - they tend to be vulnerable to
failure before other components IME. But even silicon doesn't survive
forever.

--
Tim Watts

tony sayer June 14th 10 10:11 AM

For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

In article , Rick... (The
other Rick) scribeth thus
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 05:18:22 -0700 (PDT), " wrote:

Unit returned for testing and as they expected found to be faulty with
all the usual faults they have...

What sort of faults? Other than dodgy connections, what faults can
these presumably all-digital units develop? Or are there analogue/
power electronics in there that fail/drift out of spec?

Volvo ABS ECU's from the 90's (late 850, early V70) were notorious for having
dry joints.

See http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=72655 for instructions on how
to fix the unit

Rick... (The other Rick)

Well.. We got as far as prising off the spring clips then decided that
we might damage it if we went further getting it open then we'd be in
the replacement game rather then repair. So all in all the charge for
repair wasn't that bad as we've spent sod all on parts for this
particular car anyway and we needed it back on the road so ..

But under any other circumstances I'd have had a go but I can't see your
average small time garage doing this sort of repair doubt they'd have a
soldering iron that small for a start;!..

But further articles indicate that there is a growing market for
electronic assembly replacements on cars which I suppose is simply
market driven by the demand and the silly prices for new manufacturer
replacements and the growing use of electronic assemblies. It seems for
instance that the firm I referred to spend as much time repairing
electronic dashboards as much else!...

--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer June 14th 10 10:11 AM

For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

In article , Tim Watts
scribeth thus
[...]

Proof;?...

--
Tony Sayer

Dave Plowman (News) June 14th 10 10:51 AM

For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
But further articles indicate that there is a growing market for
electronic assembly replacements on cars which I suppose is simply
market driven by the demand and the silly prices for new manufacturer
replacements and the growing use of electronic assemblies. It seems for
instance that the firm I referred to spend as much time repairing
electronic dashboards as much else!...

Snag comes in with multi layer PCBs. Makes many repairs near impossible.

--
*Young at heart -- slightly older in other places

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Liquorice[_2_] June 14th 10 10:54 AM

On 14 Jun 2010 08:32:51 GMT, Huge wrote:

If stuff survives the first few days or weeks of regular use it

will
essentially last forever.

Err, no. Not for nothing is it called "bathtub curve".

I said "essentially". The bottom of the bathtub in my experiance is
longer than the useful life of the kit. ie the kit is well
superceeded before it fails.

--
Cheers
Dave.

tony sayer June 14th 10 11:04 AM

For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
But further articles indicate that there is a growing market for
electronic assembly replacements on cars which I suppose is simply
market driven by the demand and the silly prices for new manufacturer
replacements and the growing use of electronic assemblies. It seems for
instance that the firm I referred to spend as much time repairing
electronic dashboards as much else!...

Snag comes in with multi layer PCBs. Makes many repairs near impossible.

I suppose.. It depends on what sort of faults there are?. Seems on the
unit I had done these might be simple dry joints but I wonder if there
are that many faults due to the multi layer PCB anyway?.
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer June 14th 10 11:48 AM

For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice scribeth thus
On 14 Jun 2010 08:32:51 GMT, Huge wrote:

If stuff survives the first few days or weeks of regular use it

will
essentially last forever.

Err, no. Not for nothing is it called "bathtub curve".

I said "essentially". The bottom of the bathtub in my experiance is
longer than the useful life of the kit. ie the kit is well
superceeded before it fails.

Thats prolly what should happen in this case, after all not that many
would see a 15 Y/O Volvo as a "desirable" motah!. Though it seems this
one has just made it into the high mileage owners club, the entry level
of which is 150,000 miles some it seems have topped the Million
mark;!...

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/hmc/index.shtml
--
Tony Sayer

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] June 14th 10 12:01 PM

For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
But further articles indicate that there is a growing market for
electronic assembly replacements on cars which I suppose is simply
market driven by the demand and the silly prices for new manufacturer
replacements and the growing use of electronic assemblies. It seems for
instance that the firm I referred to spend as much time repairing
electronic dashboards as much else!...

Snag comes in with multi layer PCBs. Makes many repairs near impossible.

not if you have the correct desoldering tools.

Man at B&Q June 14th 10 12:01 PM

For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

On Jun 14, 1:17*am, geoff wrote:
In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes

[...]

Pretty accurate actually.

MBQ

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] June 14th 10 12:03 PM

tony sayer wrote:
But further articles indicate that there is a growing market for
electronic assembly replacements on cars which I suppose is simply
market driven by the demand and the silly prices for new manufacturer
replacements and the growing use of electronic assemblies. It seems for
instance that the firm I referred to spend as much time repairing
electronic dashboards as much else!...

Snag comes in with multi layer PCBs. Makes many repairs near impossible.

I suppose.. It depends on what sort of faults there are?. Seems on the
unit I had done these might be simple dry joints but I wonder if there
are that many faults due to the multi layer PCB anyway?.

not IME.

more reliable than the cheaper alternatives of pop rivets through the
boards and a dip in a solder bath.

Connectors Capacitors and Corrosion is the usual list of suspects.

Man at B&Q June 14th 10 12:04 PM

On Jun 14, 9:42*am, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Not if tye correct parts are specified at the design stage and
assuming you buy from a reputable supplier so that you actually get
those parts. The latter is one of the major differences between cheap
as chips stuff and expensive automotive grade stuff.

But even silicon doesn't survive forever.

Essentially, again if specc'ed correctly and sourced from a
manufacturer who know what they are doing.

MBQ

Man at B&Q June 14th 10 12:06 PM

For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

On Jun 13, 11:07*pm, Brian Morrison wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 15:58:07 +0100
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I remember hiring a Ford once: halfway to where I was going te dashboard
quit. I phoned up teh car hire, who told me to carry on. No speedo, no
gauges, nada! I found an AA man parked by the road side and asked him
..."bad earth on it, hit it with the heel of your 'and'"

Voila!.

Yes. Every now and then my Vauxhall suffers from crazy dash, where all
the indicators show bizarre changing patterns and the dials wander
around randomly. The cure is to stop, then disconnect and reconnect the
ABS unit electrical connector a few times, for some reason despite
being well protected from the elements the wiping contacts inside
it become intermittent and need a few wipes to make them work again.

Problems can occur if the two halves of the contact are not correctly
specified and use dissimilar materials, e.g. one gold plates and one
tim plated.

MBQ

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] June 14th 10 12:07 PM

For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Jun 14, 1:17 am, geoff wrote:
In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes

[...]

Yes, teh failure of units is initially high, due to incorrect
manufacturing: post that the failure modes are ageing, with mechanicals
being the first to go, then usually electrolytics drying out as a
second, and finally heats stress on circuitry that eventually breaks
seals, or allows doping levels to migrate in over stressed
semiconductors, and Phut.

BUT if well designed, 30-50 years is very achievable once production
errors are accounted for.

mechanical issues like corrosion are far more likely to take stuff down
than actual component failure.

MBQ

Man at B&Q June 14th 10 12:08 PM

For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

On Jun 14, 10:51*am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
* *tony sayer wrote:

But further articles indicate that there is a growing market for
electronic assembly replacements on cars which I suppose is simply
market driven by the demand and the silly prices for new manufacturer
replacements and the growing use of electronic assemblies. It seems for
instance that the firm I referred to spend as much time repairing
electronic dashboards as much else!...

Snag comes in with multi layer PCBs. Makes many repairs near impossible.

Piece of p**s with the right equipment, even BGA replacement.

MBQ