Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ADVICE: Thinking about installing a shower pump.

RIght, I can turn my hand to a bit of diy but I like to take my time
and be sure and methodical.
The only plumbing Ive ever done though is fit an outdoor tap and now,
as our shower is so naff I'm looking to fit a shower pump.

The shower is a combined tap and shower unit over the bath upstairs,
this is on the same level as the airing cubboard tank and there's a
water storage tank in the attic.
(incidentally the hot water power through the tap seems good but not
good via the shower head, we've even tried different heads and pipes to
no avail)

So, I'm thinking of buying a Stuart Turner one, as after a google group
search of this group that seems to be one of the well recommended ones
and there's this one on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STUART-TURNER-...item483adb75b4

which seems a good price and being a positive type should be right I
believe for my system.

Now Ive had a look too about "surrey valves" and this is were I'm
starting to get a wee bit worried about the plumbing side.

As I understand it, I would need to remove (this is the hot water feed
side) the current pipe from the top of my hot water cylinder and
replace it with one of these? is that right?

--
Donnie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donnie wrote:

[...]

yes, it's just a type of tee. The pump feed has to the first off both
tanks.

Geting the electric up there will be the problem. The presure of the
hot & cold has to be the same. Also a pump can empty a tank very
quickly.

--
---
zaax
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2010 17:01, Donnie wrote:
[...]

I also have a stuart turner pump, twin, 1 Bar Monsoon, I bought it to
fit a similar situation to yourself, however I ended up fitting a new
Combi boiler so it was surplus to requirements. It's brand new, still in
it's box with hoses and full instructions and original invoice..I bought
it from Plumbworld in January 2008 for £275. I'm in North Shropshire if
you are interested. It's doing nothing here so you could have it for £70
if you collect.
Sorry can't help with the Surrey flange.
Cheers
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:

[...]

Hmmm to be honest I was looking more for the 1.5bar but you're about
130miles from me too, so with petrol etc......

--
Donnie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

zaax wrote:

Donnie wrote:

As I understand it, I would need to remove (this is the hot water
feed side) the current pipe from the top of my hot water cylinder
and replace it with one of these? is that right?

yes, it's just a type of tee. The pump feed has to the first off both
tanks.

Geting the electric up there will be the problem. The presure of the
hot & cold has to be the same. Also a pump can empty a tank very
quickly.

How do you mean getting the electricity up there? The pump goes in the
airing cupboard beside the hot water tank not in the attic doesnt it?
I can get it hooked into the 'leccy in the airing cupboard surely?

--
Donnie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2010 21:39, Donnie wrote:
zaax wrote:

Donnie wrote:

As I understand it, I would need to remove (this is the hot water
feed side) the current pipe from the top of my hot water cylinder
and replace it with one of these? is that right?

yes, it's just a type of tee. The pump feed has to the first off both
tanks.

Geting the electric up there will be the problem. The presure of the
hot& cold has to be the same. Also a pump can empty a tank very
quickly.

How do you mean getting the electricity up there? The pump goes in the
airing cupboard beside the hot water tank not in the attic doesnt it?
I can get it hooked into the 'leccy in the airing cupboard surely?

I took mine from the supply to the airing cupboard via a fused double
pole switch.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donnie wrote:

zaax wrote:

Donnie wrote:

As I understand it, I would need to remove (this is the hot water
feed side) the current pipe from the top of my hot water cylinder
and replace it with one of these? is that right?

yes, it's just a type of tee. The pump feed has to the first off
both tanks.

Geting the electric up there will be the problem. The presure of the
hot & cold has to be the same. Also a pump can empty a tank very
quickly.

How do you mean getting the electricity up there? The pump goes in the
airing cupboard beside the hot water tank not in the attic doesnt it?
I can get it hooked into the 'leccy in the airing cupboard surely?

It depends if you have room.
BTW it's a Surrey Flange

--
---
zaax
Frustration casues accidents: allow faster traffic to overtake.

Advice/recommendations for shower pump please. Nicholas[_3_] UK diy 8 June 24th 09 08:24 PM
Shower pump - need replacement advice [email protected] UK diy 1 April 30th 08 11:38 PM
Advice on installing multiple shower pumps with gravity fed system [email protected] UK diy 1 January 1st 06 11:48 AM
Shower pump advice? JJJ UK diy 1 November 17th 05 01:47 AM
Advice needed for shower pump installation Zippy UK diy 3 May 6th 04 10:56 PM