Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A little bit of Plastic?

Probably going to be overengineering this but what the hell....

I've got a black power coated die cast aluminium 4cm x 6cm rectangular
plate to mount outside to a brick wall that has been skimmed and
pebbledashed, so it ain't a nice flat surface.

My screw tightening regime in these type of situations has previously
been one of timidness as die cast aluminium does not bend that well, so
am now wondering about a stiff'ish material that could go up first with
manly large screws, and then that could take 4mm screws for the smaller
plate.

But what easily obtainable material in black? I'm currently thinking
Nylon plastic, about 30mm thick - will be able to repel water and not
distort in the heat of the sun. Wood is out - unless I treat and paint it..

I only need a little bit. I had a lurk around B&Q, PoundLand and other
suspects looking at manufactured goods that I could butcher for the
material. I came across a club hammer in the 99p store that looked like
a possible, but there probably is some metal in the middle of that.

Any ideas? I suspect a trip to a Plastics Stockholder could be a bit
expensive.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 10, 4:45 pm, Adrian C wrote:
[...]

piece of slate?
i.e. ex fireplace, or stone tile (not roof!) or maybe Ebay for a house
number sign (the type sold with numbers engraved into them for fronts
of houses) - make em an offer for a "blank"?

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 16:45:23 +0100, Adrian C wrote:

[...]

Why not use spacers, one at each corner? You're only down to four points of
contact with the wall, and they could be adjusted to allow for the uneven
surface. Shouldn't be too difficult to come up with a suitable tubing that
would make spacers. Might even be feasible to use mirror mountings.

--
The Wanderer

Better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool
Than to open it and remove all doubt (Mark Twain)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 June, 16:45, Adrian C wrote:
[...]

Some years ago I saw a similar problem solved using soft plastic
tubing, similar to the plastic pipe used in aquaria, the builder cut
of pieces that were a reasonably snug fit to the screws.

When he screwed the plate to the uneven wall he merely poured boiling
water on each piece of plastic so that it softened and then tightened
each screw. The wall plate then was vertical to the wall and as the
pipe cooled it set in its squashed profile.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Peter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

granite offcut from local kitchen worktop place - should be free altho
watch the edges & could be fun drilling it?

Cheers
Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:
[...]

heres a completeley tangential idea.

tack up a sheet of polythenee or even cling film, with blue tack.

make up car bofy filler and apply to film in general area of plate.
tale sheet of THICK poly and apply over, then press plate into the sheet
squeezing out the body filler.

Hold for 5 minutres, then while still rubbery, trim all excess plastic
and bodyfiller with knife and mark holes to be drilled.

You have made a custom strain spreading pad, moulded to your wall!