Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What Is This?

I was looking through some old tools that I inherited from my father-in-law
and came across this one:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2r4h1r5.jpg

I have no idea what it is but thought someone on here might have some ideas.
I don't think it had anything to do with his occupation as he was a butcher
(and part time fireman during the war).

Any thoughts?

--
Tinkerer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tinkerer wrote:
I was looking through some old tools that I inherited from my father-in-law
and came across this one:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2r4h1r5.jpg

I have no idea what it is but thought someone on here might have some ideas.
I don't think it had anything to do with his occupation as he was a butcher
(and part time fireman during the war).

Any thoughts?

top one looks like a sugar hammer maybe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2010 12:06, Tinkerer wrote:
I was looking through some old tools that I inherited from my father-in-law
and came across this one:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2r4h1r5.jpg

I have no idea what it is but thought someone on here might have some ideas.
I don't think it had anything to do with his occupation as he was a butcher
(and part time fireman during the war).

Any thoughts?

Used for forming leather perhaps as in shoes?
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Donwill" wrote in message
On 10/06/2010 12:06, Tinkerer wrote:
I was looking through some old tools that I inherited from my
father-in-law
and came across this one:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2r4h1r5.jpg

I have no idea what it is but thought someone on here might have some
ideas.
I don't think it had anything to do with his occupation as he was a
butcher
(and part time fireman during the war).

Any thoughts?

Used for forming leather perhaps as in shoes?
Don

I agree with Don, I seen have a similar tool used to stretch the leather
tight over an edge before being secured.
Alan R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 12:06:58 +0100, "Tinkerer"
wrote:

I was looking through some old tools that I inherited from my father-in-law
and came across this one:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2r4h1r5.jpg

I have no idea what it is but thought someone on here might have some ideas.
I don't think it had anything to do with his occupation as he was a butcher
(and part time fireman during the war).

Any thoughts?

A toffee hammer?

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tinkerer wrote:
I was looking through some old tools that I inherited from my

father-in-law
and came across this one:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2r4h1r5.jpg

I have no idea what it is but thought someone on here might have

some ideas.
I don't think it had anything to do with his occupation as he was

a butcher
(and part time fireman during the war).

Any thoughts?

top one looks like a sugar hammer maybe.

Yes definately a leather working tool - my grandfather had an
identical one.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tinkerer" wrote in message
I was looking through some old tools that I inherited from my father-in-law
and came across this one:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2r4h1r5.jpg

I have no idea what it is but thought someone on here might have some
ideas. I don't think it had anything to do with his occupation as he was a
butcher (and part time fireman during the war).

Very interesting replies. As we also inherited two cobblers lasts, one of
those three footed ones and a single footed from the days when he did his
own shoe repairs the leather tool does seem very likely.

Thanks for the comments.
--
Tinkerer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was looking through some old tools that I inherited from my father-in-law
and came across this one:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2r4h1r5.jpg

I have no idea what it is but thought someone on here might have some ideas.
I don't think it had anything to do with his occupation as he was a butcher
(and part time fireman during the war).

Any thoughts?

They are both for melting and spreading out wax around the heels and
soles of leather shoes following repair. You heat them up on a gas
ring or blowlamp, apply a wax stick to them then quickly apply the
melted wax to the leather.

I have several and also made some of my own out of copper contacts
from large breakers. These however are purpose made.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tinkerer wrote:

"Tinkerer" wrote in message
I was looking through some old tools that I inherited from my father-in-law
and came across this one:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2r4h1r5.jpg

I have no idea what it is but thought someone on here might have some
ideas. I don't think it had anything to do with his occupation as he was a
butcher (and part time fireman during the war).

Very interesting replies. As we also inherited two cobblers lasts, one of
those three footed ones and a single footed from the days when he did his
own shoe repairs the leather tool does seem very likely.

Though some people have the misfortune to have only one foot, I've never
heard of anyone having three feet.

--
I can't go on, I'll go on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was looking through some old tools that I inherited from my
father-in-law
and came across this one:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2r4h1r5.jpg

I have no idea what it is but thought someone on here might have some
ideas.
I don't think it had anything to do with his occupation as he was a
butcher
(and part time fireman during the war).

Any thoughts?

They are both for melting and spreading out wax around the heels and
soles of leather shoes following repair. You heat them up on a gas
ring or blowlamp, apply a wax stick to them then quickly apply the
melted wax to the leather.

I have several and also made some of my own out of copper contacts
from large breakers. These however are purpose made.

Ah, that's how you are supposed to do it!
I've been melting candles in a saucepan; slopping the wax on quick and rough
with a brush, and then melting it into cloth/leather with a hair dryer...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2010 12:06, Tinkerer wrote:
I was looking through some old tools that I inherited from my father-in-law
and came across this one:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2r4h1r5.jpg

I have no idea what it is but thought someone on here might have some ideas.
I don't think it had anything to do with his occupation as he was a butcher
(and part time fireman during the war).

Any thoughts?

No idea what the top item is, but I think the bottom one might be some
sort of measuring instrument like a tape measure,

--
Regards
Camdor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 10, 12:06*pm, "Tinkerer"
wrote:
I was looking through some old tools that I inherited from my father-in-law
and came across this one:http://i45.tinypic.com/2r4h1r5.jpg

I have no idea what it is but thought someone on here might have some ideas.
I don't think it had anything to do with his occupation as he was a butcher
(and part time fireman during the war).

Any thoughts?

--
Tinkerer

They are irons for melting a wax like substance called "Heelbor or Ell
bore" This came in a stick like sealing wax. It was held in a gas
flame and when soft spread on to the side of a shoe welt and the new
sole of leather and the iron was heated and rubbed round the edge to
re melt the wax to spread it evenly and force the wax between the
upper and the new sole to make a watertight seal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 June, 16:34, Frederick Williams
wrote:
Tinkerer wrote:

"Tinkerer" wrote in message
I was looking through some old tools that I inherited from my father-in-law
and came across this one:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2r4h1r5.jpg

I have no idea what it is but thought someone on here might have some
ideas. I don't think it had anything to do with his occupation as he was a
butcher (and part time fireman during the war).

Very interesting replies. * As we also inherited two cobblers lasts, one of
those three footed ones and a single footed from the days when he did his
own shoe repairs the leather tool does seem very likely.

Though some people have the misfortune to have only one foot, I've never
heard of anyone having three feet.

The ****ty handles are typically British design management.
Three feet are British. Britain takes responsibility for the sort of
Asians whose culture leaves them with deformed children.

So a prodominantly Anglo Asian Cultural tool?

Something for separating conjoined twins or for assisting mothers of
triplegic babies? Maybe converting odd shoes to suit odd feet?

If not intended for use in Pakistan, maybe for nose picking?
English industrial towns are filled with brain dead, nose pickers. Do
they have tools for special neds? I know they have schools for spacial
needs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Interesting load of old cobblers

On 10 June, 22:48, Kipper at sea wrote:

They are irons for melting a wax like substance called "Heelbor or Ell
bore" This came in a stick like sealing wax. It was held in a gas
flame and when soft spread on to the side of a shoe welt and the new
sole of leather and the iron was heated and rubbed round the edge to
re melt the wax to spread it evenly and force the wax between the
upper and the new sole to make a watertight seal

I just want ot add the essentially uselessness of the sophistication,
bearing in mind the conditions of use in cobbled streets in dirty
Britain in wet weather.

Typical for poor people in the good old days.
Clogs were the heavy duty workwear for the general public.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tinkerer" wrote in message
I was looking through some old tools that I inherited from my father-in-law
and came across this one:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2r4h1r5.jpg

I have no idea what it is but thought someone on here might have some
ideas. I don't think it had anything to do with his occupation as he was a
butcher (and part time fireman during the war).

Any thoughts?

I seem to have caused a bit of confusion. The pictures are both of the
same tool taken from two different angles. Sorry about that, I should have
explained.

The reply from the Old Git is interesting because it jogged my wife's memory
that her father did indeed apply wax after doing shoe repairs although she
can't remember actually seeing it done.
--
Tinkerer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Frederick Williams
saying something like:

Though some people have the misfortune to have only one foot, I've never
heard of anyone having three feet.

Yebbut, the average per person is less than two. More planning required.