Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Triton bar mixer showers

I see that Screwfix have a Triton Luca Thermostatic Mixer Shower on
offer at £60 - which doesn't sound bad if it's any good. Anyone got any
experience of these?

Also - and importantly - anyone know what water connections it comes
with? Do the pipes connect directly to it, or does it need some
additional connections and support. On the same page on the Screwfix
site there's a Triton "Bar Mixer Bracket" - which consists of a couple
of chrome plated 15mm compression to 1/2" MI (I assume) elbows, joined
by a fixing plate - and costing a massive £65 (more than the shower!)

If the bar shower only has 1/2" FI inputs and no means of support, then
presumably I would need one of these support brackets? This would make
the whole thing seem slightly less of a bargain.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 June, 10:38, Roger Mills wrote:
I see that Screwfix have a Triton Luca Thermostatic Mixer Shower on
offer at £60 - which doesn't sound bad if it's any good. Anyone got any
experience of these?

Also - and importantly - anyone know what water connections it comes
with? Do the pipes connect directly to it, or does it need some
additional connections and support. On the same page on the Screwfix
site there's a Triton "Bar Mixer Bracket" - which consists of a couple
of chrome plated 15mm compression to 1/2" MI (I assume) elbows, joined
by a fixing plate - and costing a massive £65 (more than the shower!)

If the bar shower only has 1/2" FI inputs and no means of support, then
presumably I would need one of these support brackets? This would make
the whole thing seem slightly less of a bargain.
--

I installed a triton tyne bar mixer which is more chunky and
"designer", but probably is much the same. I saw those brackets.

In other words, either rely on the plaster on the supply pipes or make
your own bracket !
Can someone please explain the pricing of these things ?

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 June, 11:16, sm_jamieson wrote:
On 7 June, 10:38, Roger Mills wrote: I see that Screwfix have a Triton Luca Thermostatic Mixer Shower on
[...]

Oh sorry, forgot to say what I meant by "tails". Mine came with some
male to male connectors (basically like at wide threaded bar with a
hole down the middle !), suiteable for compression or sealing with a
washer. I used these to join the shower inlets to some elbows (can't
remember which type) which joined to the supply pipes.
Basically, if you remove the shower from the wall, these "tails" are
left sticking out. These were 3/4" inch rather than 1/2" with my
shower.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 10:38:24 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

If the bar shower only has 1/2" FI inputs and no means of support, then
presumably I would need one of these support brackets? This would make
the whole thing seem slightly less of a bargain.

You don't *need* a custom fitting kit (I've got one but haven't used
it for a job yet - I roll my own.) There are some fitting suggestions (with
photos) on the DIY FAQ wiki.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

If we'd known how much fun grandchildren are
we'd have had them first
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2010 21:35, YAPH wrote:
On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 10:38:24 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

If the bar shower only has 1/2" FI inputs and no means of support, then
presumably I would need one of these support brackets? This would make
the whole thing seem slightly less of a bargain.

You don't *need* a custom fitting kit (I've got one but haven't used
it for a job yet - I roll my own.) There are some fitting suggestions (with
photos) on the DIY FAQ wiki.

That's great -thanks. In my case it's a stud wall which doesn't yet
exist - and there will be a vertical stud mid-way between the pipes, so
I should be able to fabricate some sort of supports off that.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2010 21:35, YAPH wrote:
On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 10:38:24 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

If the bar shower only has 1/2" FI inputs and no means of support, then
presumably I would need one of these support brackets? This would make
the whole thing seem slightly less of a bargain.

You don't *need* a custom fitting kit (I've got one but haven't used
it for a job yet - I roll my own.) There are some fitting suggestions (with
photos) on the DIY FAQ wiki.

On delving a bit deeeper into the SF catalogue, I see that they do a
similar bracket (51167) made by Grohe which is *only* £30 rather than
£65. It may just be worth that to save frigging about with a lot of
separate components - and the linking plate would provide a firm fixing
if I notched out the back of a vertical stud by an appropriate amount.
As far as I can see, the pipe size is the same as Triton (3/4" BSP) and
the spacing is the same (150 mm). Can anyone think of any just cause or
impediment why I couldn't mount a Triton bar shower on a Grohe bracket?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 21:31:03 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

Can anyone think of any just cause or
impediment why I couldn't mount a Triton bar shower on a Grohe bracket?

Nope, the beauty of these shower valves is they're all interchangeable so
when the original packs up you can just replace the whol eunit if you
can't repair or get spares for the original.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

thermostatic mixer showers - flow control? jim UK diy 13 September 2nd 09 10:51 PM
Triton Mixer shower installation UK DIY UK diy 1 March 6th 07 05:54 PM
GE Triton Bob Electronics Repair 0 February 20th 06 02:44 AM
No hot water from Triton shower mixer Roly UK diy 1 September 29th 05 12:38 PM
wallplate for triton tyne bar mixer fitting [email protected] UK diy 1 June 20th 05 10:26 PM