Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A-V Senders ...

Anyone got any experience of these ? Daughter just fixed her 'retired' LCD
TV on the wall of her bedroom. Although primarily, her and her husband will
be watching stuff that's been put onto a portable hard drive streamer, she
thought that it would be handy to be able to watch stuff that she's recorded
on her Sky+ box, so at the same time she bought the wall bracket, she also
bought a TescoSonic (or whatever dreadful name they call their stuff) 2.4GHz
AV sender. I went round there to fix the bracket - she doesn't trust her
poor old hubby with fixing something heavy to a stud wall ! - and when it
was all in place, he hooked up the sender. Although it worked after a
fashion, it was basically unusable in reality, as each of the four
selectable channels it had, was wiped out by bands of heavy duty
interference. It had that 'frequency-hopping' feel about it, and my
immediate suspicion was that it was interference from their broadband
wireless router, which is located in the lounge, pretty much below the
bedroom. I had him turn it off, but it made no difference at all. Slight
improvements could be made by doing a Laurel and Hardy and standing on one
leg with the receiver unit held at arms length, whilst stroking the cat with
the other hand, but in the end, no results that were useable, so I guess
this must be interference from the neighbours wireless router.

Anyway, she took the AV sender back to Tesco, and got her money back.

So, question is, has anyone else had this problem, and managed to resolve it
with any particular make or model? Obviously, there are many available, but
she doesn't want to keep going through the process of buying and returning,
if it's a problem that's never going to be resolved. I would estimate that
the receiver would be probably diagonally equidistant from the the
transmitter unit and their wireless router, and that distance would be, at a
guess, no more than 20 feet and through a standard plasterboard ceiling and
chipboard floor. Obviously, a little further to the attached neighbour's
router, assuming they've got one, and it's not upstairs just the other side
of the blockwork party wall ... Much further to the neighbour the other
side.

My preferred method of sorting this would be to run a cable. It's not a big
house. But if anyone has any useful experience on doing it by the wireless
route, I'd be interested to hear.

TIA

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

I'd be inclined to run a coax from the Sky+ box (not heard great things
about AV senders at all) and then get one of these Powermid remote extender
thingies - they're brilliant:

http://cpc.farnell.com/marmitek/3-pi...dp/AVVPOWERMID

or http://tinyurl.com/35bqj3l

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

for a Sky box, you can get a remote eye that connects to the co-ax, that
work very well in my experience!

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Toby wrote:
"John" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

That is, of course true. In our case we have a distribution amp that
wouldn't pass the 9V DC that the Sky magic eye requires so the best way
round it for us was the Powermid. To be honest it's a while ago and I'd
forgotten about the Sky magic eye.

On the upside though, a Powermid works with anything, not just a Sky box. My
hifi sits next to the Sky box and can be seen by the Powermid so I can
control that from upstairs as well - and yes, I do have speakers in the
bedroom connected to the amp downstairs )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Toby wrote:
"John" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

Do you know if it works with a VirginMedia V+ box? The CPC listing says
it's not compatible with NTL/Telewest so I'd assume not...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
John wrote:
Toby wrote:
"John" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

Sorry David, haven't a clue mate and there's no-one in our street that I
know of on cable so I can't even try it for you. However, I fail to see why
it wouldn't work. You point your infrared remote at the Powermid transmitter
upstairs, it converts it to RF, which is picked up by the Powermid receiver
downstairs and squirted out as infrared again - can't imagine what's
different about VirginMedia infrared?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Yes sometimes it works more often than not it doesn't or is subject to
interference. The world and his missus are using 2.4Ghz now and
interference is very prevalent. Some areas have a wireless router in
every house round here!. Let alone vid senders and of course microwave
ovens..

Suggest that you run a cable or seek out someone who retails 5.8 Ghz
units this is much less crowded but like 2.4 can suffer heavily from in
building attenuation....
TIA

Arfa

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
[...]

Using PassMark Wirelessmon 3.1 I can see 18 other wireless routers besides
my own here! :-) or should that be :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article , Arfa Daily
wrote:
My preferred method of sorting this would be to run a
cable. It's not a big house. But if anyone has any
useful experience on doing it by the wireless route, I'd
be interested to hear.

Well we use what was probably the cheapest sender (Unidom R)
we found in France about 3 yrs ago. Both units are in the
same room about 40' apart and someone walking between them
shows interference on the TV.

Other causes of interference include the location of the
laptops, (still watch-able) location of the DECT 'phone
(watch-able) and using the microwave in the kitchen (through
a 750mm thick wall.

Trying through 2 fairly solid partition walls over 10metres
was pretty useless.

John

--
John Mulrooney

Glass, china and reputations are easily cracked, but never well mended.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
John wrote:
Toby wrote:
"John" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

My preferred method of sorting this would be to run a cable. It's
not a big house. But if anyone has any useful experience on doing
it by the wireless route, I'd be interested to hear.
I'd be inclined to run a coax from the Sky+ box (not heard great
things about AV senders at all) and then get one of these Powermid
remote extender thingies - they're brilliant:

http://cpc.farnell.com/marmitek/3-pi...dp/AVVPOWERMID

Do you know if it works with a VirginMedia V+ box? The CPC listing says
it's not compatible with NTL/Telewest so I'd assume not...

perk
I'm just contemplating a similar project here.
GAMI seems to be required.

--
R100RT
Aprilia Pegaso 650 IE "The Flying Mythos"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

Discussions on AVForum:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/gtsea...tronics%2F#919

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"spamlet" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks all, for all the comments. I think that they pretty much agree with
my feelings. I will suggest that she goes down the cable route ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 28, 9:43 am, "John" wrote:

Sorry David, haven't a clue mate and there's no-one in our street that I
know of on cable so I can't even try it for you. However, I fail to see why
it wouldn't work. You point your infrared remote at the Powermid transmitter
upstairs, it converts it to RF, which is picked up by the Powermid receiver
downstairs and squirted out as infrared again - can't imagine what's
different about VirginMedia infrared?

Years ago I had a Pace STB from Telewest and the remote used IrDA IR
codes rather than the more-common RC5 standard. I imagine therefore it
is the protocol differences that may cause difficulty as a remote
extender probably works more on a store-and-forward principle rather
than a straightforward repeater.

NTL/Telwest are now Virgin Media so chances are the reference is out
of date so all could be hunkydory now. No guarantees of course...

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Arfa Daily"
saying something like:

[...]

Years ago I had one (still got it) of the Lidl/Aldi 2.4GHz 4 channel
senders and it worked after a fashion, but was terrible when the
microwave was used and once I got wifi working it was curtains for it.
Never could get it to be reliable after that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote in
news
[...]

Yep, that sounds like it :-(

Arfa
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 1, 7:41*am, Arfa Daily
wrote:
[...]

Arfa- Hide quoted text -

I found one for 99 cents

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

metronid wrote:

I found one for 99 cents

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

Hmm. That's now at 1550 cents and counting; and the seller doesn't ship
outside the USA...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
metronid wrote:

I found one for 99 cents

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

Hmm. That's now at 1550 cents and counting; and the seller doesn't ship
outside the USA...

Interestingly, one of the electronic component suppliers that I deal with,
sent me their monthly rag a few days back, and in it, they have a 5GHz AV
sender for the same money that was originally paid for the one that was
wiped out by interference. It says that this one is specifically designed to
not be interfered with by wifi, cordless phones etc. We might just give it a
try. Having said that in the advertising blurb, if it was no good, they
would be obliged to take it back for refund.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

one of the electronic component suppliers that I deal
with, sent me their monthly rag a few days back, and in it, they have a
5GHz AV sender for the same money that was originally paid for the one
that was wiped out by interference. It says that this one is
specifically designed to not be interfered with by wifi, cordless phones
etc.

802.11a and 802.11n WiFi does and can use 5GHz respectively, the former
has never been very popular in the UK, the latter is likely to become
increasingly popular ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article tBiWn.29859$m87.15271@hurricane, Arfa Daily
scribeth thus

"Lobster" wrote in message
> [...]
metronid wrote:

I found one for 99 cents

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageNam e=ST

RK:MESELX:IT

Hmm. That's now at 1550 cents and counting; and the seller doesn't ship
outside the USA...

Interestingly, one of the electronic component suppliers that I deal with,
sent me their monthly rag a few days back, and in it, they have a 5GHz AV
sender for the same money that was originally paid for the one that was
wiped out by interference. It says that this one is specifically designed to
not be interfered with by wifi, cordless phones etc. We might just give it a
try. Having said that in the advertising blurb, if it was no good, they
would be obliged to take it back for refund.

Arfa

Do you mean 5.8 Ghz this is the band in use for that. 'Tho very few
laptops wi-fi points etc have that in that as yet. It does work very
well for point to point use....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

5.8 GHz, yes.

5.8GHz and 2.4GHz (and others) are ISM frequencies, in short anything
can use them within power limits, and anything has to expect
interference from everything else using them ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISM_band

Lots of types of devices are making the switch from 2.4GHz to 5.8GHz due
to overcrowding, but it won't take long for the overcrowding to catch up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 27, 12:21*pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
[...]

If you can use cable then do. Once its set up it'll be rock solid for
the next 100 years. That's true of anything nowadays, with the
proliferation of short rf links.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns
wibbled on Tuesday 29 June 2010 10:03

Arfa Daily wrote:

one of the electronic component suppliers that I deal
with, sent me their monthly rag a few days back, and in it, they have a
5GHz AV sender for the same money that was originally paid for the one
that was wiped out by interference. It says that this one is
specifically designed to not be interfered with by wifi, cordless phones
etc.

802.11a and 802.11n WiFi does and can use 5GHz respectively, the former
has never been very popular in the UK, the latter is likely to become
increasingly popular ...

We tried 802.11a at work. One of the reasons it's not popular is it is
actually pretty crap at going through anything compared to 2.4GHz. We got it
through 2 drywalls at short range and that was about the limit. Brick I
would imagine would be worse, so unless you are covering a large open plan
office or a garden it's a bit useless.

Given open air it's pretty good though.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy
Burns scribeth thus
Arfa Daily wrote:

5.8 GHz, yes.

5.8GHz and 2.4GHz (and others) are ISM frequencies, in short anything
can use them within power limits, and anything has to expect
interference from everything else using them ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISM_band

Lots of types of devices are making the switch from 2.4GHz to 5.8GHz due
to overcrowding, but it won't take long for the overcrowding to catch up.

Have a look at the way Ofcom have planned the band, theres different
parts of the band for differing applications.

Its been around quite some time now...

IIRC..

A Indoor nomadic

B outdoor nomadic

C point to point
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

We tried 802.11a at work. One of the reasons it's not popular is it is
actually pretty crap at going through anything compared to 2.4GHz. We got it
through 2 drywalls at short range and that was about the limit. Brick I
would imagine would be worse

Installed about 30 access points, all except one are only configured for
b/g use at the moment, as the customer has exactly zero n capable devices.

I have configured one access point for a/n because *my* laptop has
a/b/g/n capability, using MIMO with 40MHz channels I get throughput of
9Mbytes/sec from a link speed of 270Mbits/sec, I suspect the intel
windows drivers are the bottleneck.

so unless you are covering a large open plan
office or a garden it's a bit useless.
Given open air it's pretty good though.

It seems to make it through a couple of solid 1950's brick walls or a
concrete floor and a modern partition wall or two OK, not a scientific
test, just wandering around corridors with a laptop or phone in hand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

Interestingly, one of the electronic component suppliers that I deal with,
sent me their monthly rag a few days back, and in it, they have a 5GHz AV
sender for the same money that was originally paid for the one that was
wiped out by interference. It says that this one is specifically designed
to not be interfered with by wifi, cordless phones etc. We might just give
it a try. Having said that in the advertising blurb, if it was no good,
they would be obliged to take it back for refund.

There is a Wi-Fi band @ 5GHz, 802.11a.
Any AV sender can be interfered with, so much for their advertising.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:

Have a look at the way Ofcom have planned the band, theres different
parts of the band for differing applications.

I wasn't aware of OFCOM's bands, but it seems their band A (5150 to 5350
MHz) and band B (5470 to 5725 MHz) are below the ISM frequency range,
and their band C (5725 to 5850 MHz) doesn't quite cover the whole of the
ISM range (5725 to 5875 MHz).

So I don't think it changes anything as far as competing WiFi and video
senders are concerned ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns
wibbled on Tuesday 29 June 2010 13:42

Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

Maybe it's improved - our test on specifically 802.11a was a few years back.
Never tried 802.11n.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

Any AV sender can be interfered with.

Sometimes deliberately

http://videojammers.weebly.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy
Burns scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:

Have a look at the way Ofcom have planned the band, theres different
parts of the band for differing applications.

I wasn't aware of OFCOM's bands, but it seems their band A (5150 to 5350
MHz) and band B (5470 to 5725 MHz) are below the ISM frequency range,
and their band C (5725 to 5850 MHz) doesn't quite cover the whole of the
ISM range (5725 to 5875 MHz).

So I don't think it changes anything as far as competing WiFi and video
senders are concerned ...

So you think Ofcom have got it wrong in the UK;?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:

Andy scribeth thus

I wasn't aware of OFCOM's bands, but it seems their band A (5150 to 5350
MHz) and band B (5470 to 5725 MHz) are below the ISM frequency range,
and their band C (5725 to 5850 MHz) doesn't quite cover the whole of the
ISM range (5725 to 5875 MHz).

So you think Ofcom have got it wrong in the UK;?...

Dunno, situation sound similar to 2.4GHz where we can only use channels
1-13 in the UK, America uses 1-11 but Japan can use up to 1-14,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy
Burns scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:

Andy scribeth thus

I wasn't aware of OFCOM's bands, but it seems their band A (5150 to 5350
MHz) and band B (5470 to 5725 MHz) are below the ISM frequency range,
and their band C (5725 to 5850 MHz) doesn't quite cover the whole of the
ISM range (5725 to 5875 MHz).

So you think Ofcom have got it wrong in the UK;?...

Dunno, situation sound similar to 2.4GHz where we can only use channels
1-13 in the UK, America uses 1-11 but Japan can use up to 1-14,

In fact on some of the 5.8 Ghz link equipment we have you can set the
firmware for around 6 differing countries all with differing versions of
the 5.8 Ghz band;!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Andy
Burns scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:

Andy scribeth thus

I wasn't aware of OFCOM's bands, but it seems their band A (5150 to
5350
MHz) and band B (5470 to 5725 MHz) are below the ISM frequency range,
and their band C (5725 to 5850 MHz) doesn't quite cover the whole of
the
ISM range (5725 to 5875 MHz).

So you think Ofcom have got it wrong in the UK;?...

Dunno, situation sound similar to 2.4GHz where we can only use channels
1-13 in the UK, America uses 1-11 but Japan can use up to 1-14,

In fact on some of the 5.8 Ghz link equipment we have you can set the
firmware for around 6 differing countries all with differing versions of
the 5.8 Ghz band;!..

Be careful what you set them too.. the UK 5G band is unlicensed *unless* you
interfere with licensed stuff.
If you do interfere you need a license.
You won't get a license and you may be fined.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Andy
Burns scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:

Andy scribeth thus

[...]

Would you care to elaborate a bit on that please?.

You seem to be contradicting yourself there....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Be careful what you set them too.. the UK 5G band is unlicensed *unless*
you
interfere with licensed stuff.
If you do interfere you need a license.
You won't get a license and you may be fined.

Would you care to elaborate a bit on that please?.

You seem to be contradicting yourself there....

Just paraphrasing what the law appears to say.

You can use stuff in that band unlicensed as long as it doesn't interfere
with stuff the government uses.
If you do interfere they can tell you that you need a license for your kit,
so much for it being an unlicensed band.
They will reject any application for a license from you so if you continue
to use it you can be fined and/or the kit removed.
AIUI they are arse covering in case it interferes with radar, or other
military stuff which can use that band.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2010 12:16, dennis@home wrote:

You can use stuff in that band unlicensed as long as it doesn't
interfere with stuff the government uses.
If you do interfere they can tell you that you need a license for your
kit, so much for it being an unlicensed band.
They will reject any application for a license from you so if you
continue to use it you can be fined and/or the kit removed.
AIUI they are arse covering in case it interferes with radar, or other
military stuff which can use that band.

RST 000, me thinks ...

--
Adrian C