Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Insects creating mounds of mortar powder outside brickperpendiculars?

On the concrete outside a cavity bay window, 3 brick mortar
perpendiculars have what appears to be distinct mortar powder mounds.

I can only think these are formed by insects - ants (not seen any)?

First one...
http://i45.tinypic.com/2niyv7k.jpg
http://tinypic.com/r/2niyv7k/6

Second one...
http://i48.tinypic.com/qytwl3.jpg
http://tinypic.com/r/qytwl3/6
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"js.b1" wrote in message
On the concrete outside a cavity bay window, 3 brick mortar
perpendiculars have what appears to be distinct mortar powder mounds.

I can only think these are formed by insects - ants (not seen any)?

First one...
http://i45.tinypic.com/2niyv7k.jpg
http://tinypic.com/r/2niyv7k/6

Second one...
http://i48.tinypic.com/qytwl3.jpg
http://tinypic.com/r/qytwl3/6

Tawny mining bee. Lots about this time of year. Watch out for the little
yellow wasps that parasitise them too, by following them into the hole and
laying their own eggs in the developing grubs.

http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=taw...ved=0C A0Q_AU

Curious things: where they go the rest of the year I do not know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"js.b1" writes:
On the concrete outside a cavity bay window, 3 brick mortar
perpendiculars have what appears to be distinct mortar powder mounds.

Don't think there was any mortar in there - insects have just
cleared out the dirt which has washed/blown in.

Mortar was probably washed out by splashback from the hard
concrete surface. The missing mortar should be replaced.
Ideally, you should have a ground surface up to the wall
which won't splash water up the brickwork such as a gutter
filled with stones (lookup a french drain) or grass. Unless
the bricks are low absorancy (engineering bricks), they will
also be damaged by splashback in the long run.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Gabriel
scribeth thus
In article ,
"js.b1" writes:
On the concrete outside a cavity bay window, 3 brick mortar
perpendiculars have what appears to be distinct mortar powder mounds.

Don't think there was any mortar in there - insects have just
cleared out the dirt which has washed/blown in.

Perhaps if you left them a small bag of readymix mortar and some
incentive..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"js.b1" writes:
[...]

Looks to me like porous lime mortar which has been washed out.
Perhaps render the bottom few feet of the wall with a waterproof mix.

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rad Rad is offline

On 26 May, 23:53, "js.b1" wrote:
On the concrete outside a cavity bay window, 3 brick mortar
perpendiculars have what appears to be distinct mortar powder mounds.

I can only think these are formed by insects - ants (not seen any)?

First one...http://i45.tinypic.com/2niyv7k.jpght...om/r/2niyv7k/6

Second one...http://i48.tinypic.com/qytwl3.jpghtt...com/r/qytwl3/6

I agree with the Masonry bee suggestion but am surprised at the size
of the debris
chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 27, 11:36*am, Rad wrote:
I agree with the Masonry bee suggestion but am
surprised at the size of the debris

So a bee... !

I was surprised at the size of the debris too.

The area is sheltered by the eaves.
The water ingress is from a window cill lifting up from the mortar of
the bay window wall to leave an 18mm air gap. There are 3 telephone
lines nailed to the underside of the cill by various kitchen fitters
who have hammered the cill upwards. The telephone cables hide the gap
until you get right up to it.

Moving some of the dirt it re-appears without rain so there is indeed
a little inhabitant.

Will move the now defunct telephone cables and redo the window sub-
cill, then point after he has cleared off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 27, 12:48*pm, "js.b1" wrote:
kitchen fitters

Typo: cable fitters.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to js.b1, jdc wrote:
I have a similar problem, but the debris pile is below a single vertical board
of 2x4 wood trim mounted on a stucco wall and is composed of stucco "sand,"
not sawdust termite frass. I haven't seen any masonry bees, but maybe I'm not
keeping close enough watch. Any other ideas?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...rp-634263-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What?
its the ants mate.
Of course being from stupid shower club its probably forum 15 years ago.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"jdc" m wrote in message
news

Insects. Matthew UK diy 12 July 20th 07 10:05 AM
Soil mounds in lawn AdelphiaNewsServer Home Repair 19 April 4th 07 06:03 PM
Pantry insects Gina and Les Armstrong Home Repair 21 March 10th 05 02:54 PM
Sand mounds (septic) questions... [email protected] Home Repair 1 January 13th 05 09:48 PM
Roach-like insects - barry martin Home Repair 0 June 21st 04 02:33 AM