Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT I've one a holiday!

Visited the Grand Designs Exhibition in London earlier in the month.

Got a call today saying that following me completing a survey I'd won a
weeks holiday in Spain.

I had to confirm age bracket and that I owned a passport and my own home.

So what's the scam?

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2010 14:22, mark wrote:
Visited the Grand Designs Exhibition in London earlier in the month.

Got a call today saying that following me completing a survey I'd won a
weeks holiday in Spain.

I had to confirm age bracket and that I owned a passport and my own home.

So what's the scam?

mark

Home owner with enough to buy a timshare/shared ownership/holiday club
contract?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

Got a call today saying that following me completing a survey I'd won a

high-pressure sales session.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:

Got a call today saying that following me completing a survey I'd won a
weeks holiday in Spain.

They'll probably insist you spend a day at a high pressure sales event
for a timeshare ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 May 2010 14:41:14 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

mark wrote:

Got a call today saying that following me completing a survey I'd won a
weeks holiday in Spain.

They'll probably insist you spend a day at a high pressure sales event
for a timeshare ...

If that's all it is, go for it - my parents got a weeks holiday free in
Dubrovnic, the only strings being that they had to spend half a day at a
hotel in the Lake District for a sales talk before they were handed the
vouchers.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message
o.uk...
Visited the Grand Designs Exhibition in London earlier in the month.

Got a call today saying that following me completing a survey I'd won a
weeks holiday in Spain.

I had to confirm age bracket and that I owned a passport and my own home.

So what's the scam?

mark

They know when your house will be empty....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 May 2010 15:18:21 +0100, "Toby"
wrote:
"mark" wrote in message
news:l6WdnShs2v_LvWDWnZ2dnUVZ7tmdnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...
Visited the Grand Designs Exhibition in London earlier in the month.

Got a call today saying that following me completing a survey I'd won a
weeks holiday in Spain.

I had to confirm age bracket and that I owned a passport and my own home.

So what's the scam?

mark

They know when your house will be empty....

You've one a holiday? Is it for won or two?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
"mark" wrote in message
news:l6WdnShs2v_LvWDWnZ2dnUVZ7tmdnZ2d@brightview .co.uk...
Visited the Grand Designs Exhibition in London earlier in the month.

Got a call today saying that following me completing a survey I'd won a
weeks holiday in Spain.

I had to confirm age bracket and that I owned a passport and my own
home.

So what's the scam?

mark

They know when your house will be empty....

You've one a holiday? Is it for won or two?

I haven't one, or won anything...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
"mark" wrote in message
news:l6WdnShs2v_LvWDWnZ2dnUVZ7tmdnZ2d@brightview .co.uk...
Visited the Grand Designs Exhibition in London earlier in the month.

Got a call today saying that following me completing a survey I'd won a
weeks holiday in Spain.

I had to confirm age bracket and that I owned a passport and my own
home.

So what's the scam?

mark

They know when your house will be empty....

You've one a holiday? Is it for won or two?

Won did spot that error on hitting send.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 May 2010 16:02:42 +0100, "mark"
wrote:
"Bruce" wrote:

You've one a holiday? Is it for won or two?

Won did spot that error on hitting send.

It has happened to me two, wonce or 2ice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
Visited the Grand Designs Exhibition in London earlier in the month.

Got a call today saying that following me completing a survey I'd won
a weeks holiday in Spain.

I had to confirm age bracket and that I owned a passport and my own
home.
So what's the scam?

That'll be in the ubiquitous Terms and Conditions - look very carefully
there and make sure that no extras are forced upon you to pay.

If there are none, then congratulations and enjoy the week away from this
country - but watch out for the 'hidden' time share dealers when you arrive.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 May 2010 14:22:30 +0100, "mark"
wrote:

Visited the Grand Designs Exhibition in London earlier in the month.

Got a call today saying that following me completing a survey I'd won a
weeks holiday in Spain.

The second prize is two weeks in Spain...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
Visited the Grand Designs Exhibition in London earlier in the month.

Got a call today saying that following me completing a survey I'd won
a weeks holiday in Spain.

I had to confirm age bracket and that I owned a passport and my own
home.
So what's the scam?

the scam is that you haven't won anything, you are going to be sold a
holiday...the holiday is 'free', but the flight supplements are £100 per
person, the hotel supplements are £100 per person and their insurance is
£100 per person, so your free holiday will set you back £600 for two
people - you can get a weeks holiday in Spain for half that in any high
street travel agent.

It's like those scratchcards where every one is a winner....'You have
definately won one of the following:
A villa in Tenerife
A Mercedes-Benz
£10,000 cash
A diamond necklace
An all expenses paid trip to Disneyland
A £60,000 BMW

You have to ring a premium line @ a quid a minute for 5 minutes to find that
you have won the diamond necklace, which is made of tin and has a diamond
about half the size of a grain of sand in it, total value = less than 1p

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 26, 4:54*pm, "Phil L" wrote:
mark wrote:
[...]

I'll admit that once when very drunk in a hotel I picked up one of
this cards and phoned the number. Spent about 15 minutes on the phone
listening to the garbage until I hung up.

Checked out in the morning and sheepishly paid the £85 telephone
charge!!!!! I suspect the hotel profited more than the premium rate
line!!!

Ooops!!!!

Matt
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"larkim" wrote in message
On May 26, 4:54 pm, "Phil L" wrote:
mark wrote:
[...]

Full marks for candour!

My wife's line to these people is "Have I really won a holiday, really,
really? Well you can have it, then".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"mark" writes:
Visited the Grand Designs Exhibition in London earlier in the month.

Got a call today saying that following me completing a survey I'd won a
weeks holiday in Spain.

I had to confirm age bracket and that I owned a passport and my own home.

So what's the scam?

Once they've collected enough identitfy theft data, you might not hear
any more from them.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
Visited the Grand Designs Exhibition in London earlier in the month.

Got a call today saying that following me completing a survey I'd won a
weeks holiday in Spain.

I had to confirm age bracket and that I owned a passport and my own home.

So what's the scam?

Good article he
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/200...fraud?page=all
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
mark wrote:
Visited the Grand Designs Exhibition in London earlier in the month.

Got a call today saying that following me completing a survey I'd won a
weeks holiday in Spain.

I had to confirm age bracket and that I owned a passport and my own home.

So what's the scam?

Good article he
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/200...fraud?page=all

Funnily enough it is Club La Costa, as mentioned in the article that
contacted me. I've received by email 'Terms &Conditions'

Which include:
Booking Fee is non-refundable.
A refundable security deposit may be required on arrival.

Vicki is calling me back on Tuesday to see what I think.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message
mark wrote:
Visited the Grand Designs Exhibition in London earlier in the month.

Got a call today saying that following me completing a survey I'd won a
weeks holiday in Spain.

I had to confirm age bracket and that I owned a passport and my own home.

So what's the scam?

Good article he
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/200...fraud?page=all

Funnily enough it is Club La Costa, as mentioned in the article that
contacted me. I've received by email 'Terms &Conditions'

Yep that was the mob who nabbed me too (which was why I knew about the
Grauniad article).

I was standing in the EasyJet queue at Malaga airport when an extremely
attractive young lady with a clipboard asked me whether I'd like to take
part in a free prize draw for something or other. Fool that I was
(well, hell, I'm only male) I said OK and ended up parting with my
jealously-guarded landline number. Two weeks later... "Surprise!!!"

David

O/T: Holiday Lew Hodgett[_4_] Woodworking 0 September 19th 09 03:08 AM
holiday.... faiz Metalworking 0 August 28th 08 08:53 AM
Going on holiday Janice UK diy 19 November 8th 07 08:34 PM
New UK Holiday Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 1 March 15th 05 03:37 PM
Smoke Alarms in domestic/holiday homes - new build, bank holiday wiring Laurie UK diy 6 August 25th 03 07:02 PM