Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 9mm SDS bit

Where can you get a 9mm SDS bit? The normal suspects Toolstation,
ScrewFix, Machine Mart don't list 'em. I need a 9mm for those knock
in wall cable tie fixing thingies. 8 mm is too tight, 10mm is
clearance.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Where can you get a 9mm SDS bit? The normal suspects Toolstation,
ScrewFix, Machine Mart don't list 'em. I need a 9mm for those knock
in wall cable tie fixing thingies. 8 mm is too tight, 10mm is
clearance.

Did you Google? Many hits here. How about this one?

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/item...ogle/sn/SD090B

--
*(over a sketch of the titanic) "The boat sank - get over it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 22, 6:02*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
Where can you get a 9mm SDS bit? The normal suspects Toolstation,
ScrewFix, Machine Mart don't list 'em. I need a 9mm for those knock
in wall cable tie fixing thingies. 8 mm is too tight, 10mm is
clearance.

Probably quickest to get a 10 and trim it with an angle grinder

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
Where can you get a 9mm SDS bit? The normal suspects Toolstation,
ScrewFix, Machine Mart don't list 'em. I need a 9mm for those knock
in wall cable tie fixing thingies. 8 mm is too tight, 10mm is
clearance.

I though they used a 6mm or 7mm drill bit?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ies/index.html

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
Where can you get a 9mm SDS bit? The normal suspects Toolstation,
ScrewFix, Machine Mart don't list 'em. I need a 9mm for those knock
in wall cable tie fixing thingies. 8 mm is too tight, 10mm is
clearance.

If you drill with the 8, and then use the 10 to widen out without
hammer action, you'll get a smaller and cleaner 10 than you do
by drilling directly with the 10. (Depends what type of brick
you're drilling in to though.)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Did you Google? Many hits here. How about this one?

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/item...ogle/sn/SD090B

Or ebay - http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=9mm+SDS

Depends how quick you wanted it I guess.

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 May 2010 20:11:11 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I though they used a 6mm or 7mm drill bit?

I have the Toolstation ones. The inner shaft is 5mm dia the fins
10mm. An 8mm hole in sandstone is just that little bit too tight. If
you don't support the gap in the top when driving in it'll split and
the "give" in the fins means you can't drive them flush at the back.

I much prefer 'em over ordinary cable clips, but it was a bit of pain
not having the right sized drill.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 May 2010 19:28:14 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

If you drill with the 8, and then use the 10 to widen out without
hammer action, you'll get a smaller and cleaner 10 than you do
by drilling directly with the 10.

As 8 was too tight I did drill with 8 then widen with 10 but with
hammer on. One 10 did go too deep but I found found that an offcut of
cable tie down the hole gave suffcient interference. B-) I half
considered using that as "the method" but it was pushing "it's a
bodge" button to hard.

(Depends what type of brick you're drilling in to though.)

Brick? The only bricks here a recent additions. The main construction
material is rough sandstone lumps, first piled up 300 years ago. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 May 2010 18:23:29 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Did you Google?

No, after looking at the main suppliers and only seeing one mention
of 9mm and that was in a large set I came to the conclusion that it
was rare beast. I probably won't need it now for a while, I'll just
keep my eyes open in the sheds or see if I have two 10mm and attack
one with the bench grinder (though that only has ordinary stones...).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote on 22/05/2010 :
keep my eyes open in the sheds or see if I have two 10mm and attack
one with the bench grinder (though that only has ordinary stones...).

Which will not even scratch the tip - you will need a green grit wheel.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote on 22/05/2010 :
keep my eyes open in the sheds or see if I have two 10mm and attack
one with the bench grinder (though that only has ordinary stones...).

Which will not even scratch the tip - you will need a green grit wheel.

You can also use a diamond disc in an angle grinder, long as you go
easy so things don't get too hot.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sat, 22 May 2010 18:23:29 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Did you Google?

No, after looking at the main suppliers and only seeing one mention
of 9mm and that was in a large set I came to the conclusion that it
was rare beast. I probably won't need it now for a while, I'll just
keep my eyes open in the sheds or see if I have two 10mm and attack
one with the bench grinder (though that only has ordinary stones...).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Try calling into an electrical wholesalers next time you pass one. Quite
often they have an Armeg or DeWalt display behind the counter with all the
SDS sizes there.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 22 May 2010 20:11:11 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

I though they used a 6mm or 7mm drill bit?

I have the Toolstation ones. The inner shaft is 5mm dia the fins
10mm. An 8mm hole in sandstone is just that little bit too tight. If
you don't support the gap in the top when driving in it'll split and
the "give" in the fins means you can't drive them flush at the back.

I much prefer 'em over ordinary cable clips, but it was a bit of pain
not having the right sized drill.

The TLC ones are deffo 6mm. I agree, much better than ordinary cable clips.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M.Chapman dmc@puffin. wrote:

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Did you Google? Many hits here. How about this one?

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/item...ogle/sn/SD090B

Or ebay - http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=9mm+SDS

Or he

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php?...oduct_id=11134

In fact 9mm bits seem plentiful and cheap. As to the prattish comments about grinding down 10mm bits with a diamond blade in an
angle grinder sigh words fail me. Some people seem to be determined bodgers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 May 2010 10:47:41 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

The TLC ones are deffo 6mm.

The CTCTP ones have much shorter fins and judging on the ratio of
head size to shaft and fin a 6mm hole would be correct.

The FXCTP100B (on clearance) are much nearer the things I have from
Toolstation. Though that says 7 or 8mm hole.

--
Cheers
Dave.