Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone got a free energy monitor from eon?

They are giving away energy monitors http://eonenergyfit.com to existing and
new customers.
Anyone recognise which one it is and is it any good?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 May 2010 19:23:05 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

Anyone recognise which one it is and is it any good?

Stupid web site needs flash to see anything other than the basic
text. The small image next to "See a demo of the monitor" looks very
much like a CurrentCost Envi but it might be a Trec, have a look at
currentcost.co.uk.

I have an Envi it works well and squirts TTL level serial data out
the back. I built my one TTL to RS232 convertor from the junk box or
you can buy a TTL to USB adapter from CurrentCost. Though as Eon
supply software one assumes they also supply the USB lead. The data
stream is XML and the formating is published. There are various other
bits of software available for other platforms.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...

I have an Envi it works well and squirts TTL level serial data out
the back. I built my one TTL to RS232 convertor from the junk box or
you can buy a TTL to USB adapter from CurrentCost. Though as Eon
supply software one assumes they also supply the USB lead. The data
stream is XML and the formating is published. There are various other
bits of software available for other platforms.

It looks like the envi to me now I have seen both.
I will have to wait and see what its like as I have just ordered one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 May 2010 20:45:04 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

It looks like the envi to me now I have seen both.

The image in the "see a demo" flash is of an Envi. Good bit of kit,
especially for free. In the FAQ answer to the question "what's in the
kit" say it's an "Envi R".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 May 2010 20:45:04 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

I will have to wait and see what its like as I have just ordered one.

Forget to add this. It's a fun thing, I can't say it's saved us any
energy but you can use the data to plot things like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/allsorts-60/3891740435/

That highlighted the coffee machine which does get turned off a lot
quicker now but the cold coffee (but at least it's not stewed) then
gets nuked...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 May, 23:51, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Forget to add this. It's a fun thing, I can't say it's saved us any
energy but you can use the data to plot things like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/allsorts-60/3891740435/

Thanks, that's an interesting graph,

Do you get energy consumption figures from this thing, or just power?
It's dificult to accurately integrate from power to energy if the
readings are discrete, much better if the device can do it for you
continuously and export the integrated figure (which is after all the
way you're billed).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 May 2010 19:03:00 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley wrote:

Do you get energy consumption figures from this thing, or just power?

Take a look at:

http://www.currentcost.com/cc128/xml.htm

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

They are giving away energy monitors http://eonenergyfit.com to existing
and new customers.

Anyone had the energy monitor arrive from eon?

I was originally told 28 days delivery, which is now overdue, I
contacted them and they said they've extended the delivery period to 90
days ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 17, 4:50*pm, Andy Burns wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
They are giving away energy monitorshttp://eonenergyfit.comto existing
and new customers.

Anyone had the energy monitor arrive from eon?

I was originally told 28 days delivery, which is now overdue, I
contacted them and they said they've extended the delivery period to 90
days ...

I'm not surprised tbh. It quickly got mentioned on the moneysaving
websites and this no doubt swamped them with orders. I too ordered one
- as an existing customer it gave the option when you logged in. I
haven't seen or heard anything yet either. On the login page it just
acknowledges the fact I ordered one.

On moneysavingexpert there is an npower offer of a free fridge/freezer
for 900 people. You have to agree to have them monitor the energy
usage of it over a year via broadband connection and then its yours to
keep. The webpage to sign up was down yesterday but apparently its not
on a first come/first served basis. They ask you questions to
determine your eligibility for different household types.
https://www.npower.com/At_Home/Tacti...l/Default.aspx

Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Starling wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Anyone had the energy monitor arrive from eon?
they said they've extended the delivery period to 90 days ...

I'm not surprised tbh. It quickly got mentioned on the moneysaving
websites and this no doubt swamped them with orders. I too ordered one

Mine arrived today (via royalmail) battery powered transmitter with
single phase clamp, 2x cheapo alkaline D cells, receiver/display unit
with wall wart, USB cable (looks like it has embedded TTL-RS232 to USB
converter), CD of software.

The plastic around the screw holding the battery door had snapped off in
transit, but a bit of insulating tape will do, I'm hardly going to send
it back ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 12:44:22 +0100 someone who may be Andy Burns
wrote this:-

Mine arrived today (via royalmail) battery powered transmitter with
single phase clamp, 2x cheapo alkaline D cells, receiver/display unit
with wall wart, USB cable (looks like it has embedded TTL-RS232 to USB
converter), CD of software.

From the photo on their web site it looks like a Current Cost one
http://www.currentcost.co.uk/

They seem to under-read the electricity consumption (according to a
small sample) but otherwise are fine.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Hansen wrote:

From the photo on their web site it looks like a Current Cost one
http://www.currentcost.co.uk/

The moulded lettering on it claims to be an Envi-R, and it is this model

http://www.currentcost.co.uk/images/...nvir_thumb.jpg

Their website claims the Envi-R has curved barchart display, like this,
which I suppose that must be an Envi-R-MkII

http://www.currentcost.co.uk/images/...-envir_img.jpg

They seem to under-read the electricity consumption (according to a
small sample) but otherwise are fine.

A quick test with the kettle (rated 2400W at 240V) showed an increase of
2345W, which tends to agree with the under-reading, especially but my
voltage is closer 250V
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Hansen wrote:

From the photo on their web site it looks like a Current Cost one
http://www.currentcost.co.uk/

Looking at the available segments on the display, as well as electricity
it has icons for gas, oil and water. I did see this DIY project ...

http://john.crouchley.com/blog/archives/345

My meter seems to have provision for a proper clip-on sensor, rather
than using blutack, the Actaris/Itron website doesn't seem to have any
details, anyone know of an official gas sensor?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns writes:
David Hansen wrote:

From the photo on their web site it looks like a Current Cost one
http://www.currentcost.co.uk/

Looking at the available segments on the display, as well as electricity
it has icons for gas, oil and water. I did see this DIY project ...

http://john.crouchley.com/blog/archives/345

My meter seems to have provision for a proper clip-on sensor, rather
than using blutack, the Actaris/Itron website doesn't seem to have any
details, anyone know of an official gas sensor?

Transco can fit one if you have lots of dosh.
It's a box with batteries in it (D cells, IIRC) and provides electrical
isolation from the meter connection.

They also have a standard price list item for disconnecting unauthorised
circuits from their meter's electrical sensor.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 14:23:13 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

My meter seems to have provision for a proper clip-on sensor, rather
than using blutack, the Actaris/Itron website doesn't seem to have any
details, anyone know of an official gas sensor?

All I need for my gas meter is a camera, some image recognition software
(just numerals), and a display! .-)

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns writes:
David Hansen wrote:

From the photo on their web site it looks like a Current Cost one
http://www.currentcost.co.uk/

The moulded lettering on it claims to be an Envi-R, and it is this model

http://www.currentcost.co.uk/images/...nvir_thumb.jpg

Their website claims the Envi-R has curved barchart display, like this,
which I suppose that must be an Envi-R-MkII

http://www.currentcost.co.uk/images/...-envir_img.jpg

They seem to under-read the electricity consumption (according to a
small sample) but otherwise are fine.

A quick test with the kettle (rated 2400W at 240V) showed an increase of
2345W, which tends to agree with the under-reading, especially but my
voltage is closer 250V

These devices cannot produce a true power reading - they simply
aren't monitoring the right data in order to generate that info.
Use them as a rough guide to show increases and decreases in
consumption. Some items (such as CFLs), they usually well over-
estimate the consumption, but that's due to the strange current
waveform a CFL draws. You real meter gets this all right though.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Transco can fit one if you have lots of dosh.
It's a box with batteries in it (D cells, IIRC) and provides electrical
isolation from the meter connection.

By inspection, it's not an electrical connection to begin with, the
meter is "Pulse Ready" with an L shaped cavity and clip arrangement in
the lower right corner of the index plate designed to take some form of
reed-switch/hall-effect/opto-sensor.

See top of page 3

http://www.ribaproductselector.com/Docs/7/22697/external/COL122697.pdf?ac=

They also have a standard price list item for disconnecting unauthorised
circuits from their meter's electrical sensor.

I'm sure they do ... perhaps blutack *is* the answer ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 15:49:24 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Andy Burns writes:
David Hansen wrote:

From the photo on their web site it looks like a Current Cost one
http://www.currentcost.co.uk/

Looking at the available segments on the display, as well as
electricity it has icons for gas, oil and water. I did see this DIY
project ...

http://john.crouchley.com/blog/archives/345

My meter seems to have provision for a proper clip-on sensor, rather
than using blutack, the Actaris/Itron website doesn't seem to have any
details, anyone know of an official gas sensor?

Transco can fit one if you have lots of dosh. It's a box with batteries
in it (D cells, IIRC) and provides electrical isolation from the meter
connection.

They also have a standard price list item for disconnecting unauthorised
circuits from their meter's electrical sensor.

I'm just going to count the flashes. No connection at all.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

All I need for my gas meter is a camera, some image recognition software
(just numerals), and a display! .-)

Yes, I'd considered using a camera, but the meter cupboard isn't
convenient for a USB webcam, and using a capture card with a coax fed
camera seems a faff, when the meter is designed with a non-contact pulse
built in ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager writes:
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 14:23:13 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

My meter seems to have provision for a proper clip-on sensor, rather
than using blutack, the Actaris/Itron website doesn't seem to have any
details, anyone know of an official gas sensor?

All I need for my gas meter is a camera, some image recognition software
(just numerals), and a display! .-)

It's usually much easier than that. There's often a disc or a pointer
with high contrast or reflective areas which can be picked up by an
optical proximity sensor, and gives you much higher resolution than
reading the numbers.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:10:50 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager writes:
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 14:23:13 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

My meter seems to have provision for a proper clip-on sensor, rather
than using blutack, the Actaris/Itron website doesn't seem to have any
details, anyone know of an official gas sensor?

All I need for my gas meter is a camera, some image recognition
software (just numerals), and a display! .-)

It's usually much easier than that. There's often a disc or a pointer
with high contrast or reflective areas which can be picked up by an
optical proximity sensor, and gives you much higher resolution than
reading the numbers.

I'll have to look....it's a pain to get to, so not looked much recently..

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

These devices cannot produce a true power reading - they simply
aren't monitoring the right data in order to generate that info.

They're only sampling current every few seconds, and must just assume
the voltage is 230V (or 240V). If they had an internal PSU instead of a
wall wart for the display end they could at least measure the true
voltage, but then the transmitter would have to be continuous rather
than sampling once every few seconds to integrate actual power.

But it's better than nothing, if you have a number displayed that's
roughly proportional to usage, it encourages you to reduce that number.

Use them as a rough guide to show increases and decreases in
consumption. Some items (such as CFLs), they usually well over-
estimate the consumption, but that's due to the strange current
waveform a CFL draws. You real meter gets this all right though.

That's why I tested with a good 'ole kettle ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Transco can fit one if you have lots of dosh.
It's a box with batteries in it (D cells, IIRC) and provides electrical
isolation from the meter connection.

By inspection, it's not an electrical connection to begin with, the
meter is "Pulse Ready" with an L shaped cavity and clip arrangement in
the lower right corner of the index plate designed to take some form of
reed-switch/hall-effect/opto-sensor.

See top of page 3

http://www.ribaproductselector.com/Docs/7/22697/external/COL122697.pdf?ac=

Mine would be even easier - it has an RJ45-like socket under the
dials, and it says 1 pulse = 1ft³, 12V 10mA.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:04:21 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

These devices cannot produce a true power reading - they simply
aren't monitoring the right data in order to generate that info.

A fair enough statement but the CurrentCost meter I have is pretty
close. I'd say it's within 1/4 unit/day, probably better with
consumption being around 20 units/day, that's about 1%.

The big failing is the huge current transformer pickup, how the tail
goes through that makes a great difference to the reading. I have
mine fixed with the tail right up against the hinge and as
perpendicular as possible.

--
Cheers
Dave.

energy saving monitor Janice UK diy 8 December 31st 08 11:24 PM
Energy saving monitor ? Hugh Jampton UK diy 16 November 15th 08 11:33 PM
Wattson Energy Monitor Crispin UK diy 7 October 10th 08 12:10 AM