Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stripping previously treated decking - any advice?

Hi

I've got a reasonably new (3 years) deck at the bottom of the garden.
I initially treated it with Cuprinol Decking Treatment, but it's
proved absolute rubbish (has anyone else found this?). It's flaked off
all over, and the result is a real mess with some bits completely back
to bare wood and others (where there is shelter) still covered.

I want to now treat it with decking oil, but obviously would like to
clear off the old stuff first. I've used a standard decking cleaner
which has cleaned up all the muck, but I wondered about some kind of
stripping solution to take off the old seal. I've used a pressure
washer and t-racer which has cleaned it up, and there's no sign of any
damage to the wood.

I've seen these sorts of things at 'decksupply.co.uk'

http://decksupply.co.uk/Products/Bio..._Stripper.aspx

http://decksupply.co.uk/Owatrol_Prep...__Cleaner.aspx

They seem expensive (around 35 quid a bottle) but I can't find
anything else that looks suitable.

Do I need to do this? Or should I just try some similar colour decking
oil on it as it stands and hope for the best?

I'd be grateful for any thoughts

James
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JamesReed wrote:
Hi

I've got a reasonably new (3 years) deck at the bottom of the garden.
I initially treated it with Cuprinol Decking Treatment, but it's
proved absolute rubbish (has anyone else found this?). It's flaked off
all over, and the result is a real mess with some bits completely back
to bare wood and others (where there is shelter) still covered.

Thats why I advise clients to use decking oil - it recoats easily.

I want to now treat it with decking oil, but obviously would like to
clear off the old stuff first. I've used a standard decking cleaner
which has cleaned up all the muck, but I wondered about some kind of
stripping solution to take off the old seal. I've used a pressure
washer and t-racer which has cleaned it up, and there's no sign of any
damage to the wood.

I've seen these sorts of things at 'decksupply.co.uk'

http://decksupply.co.uk/Products/Bio..._Stripper.aspx

http://decksupply.co.uk/Owatrol_Prep...__Cleaner.aspx

They seem expensive (around 35 quid a bottle) but I can't find
anything else that looks suitable.

I'd try nitromors. You can rinse it off with the pressure washer.

Do I need to do this? Or should I just try some similar colour decking
oil on it as it stands and hope for the best?

I shouldn't - it would look awful.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
JamesReed wrote:
[...]

I'd strip it as suggested and just leave it to weather
IME once wood goes that silver grey colour, it won't support any kind of
surface coating.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
JamesReed wrote:
[...]

Thats the beauty of decking oil - it soaks in rather than forming a surface
coating.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 May, 17:27, "The Medway Handyman" davidl...@no-spam-
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

all over, and the result is a real mess with some bits completely back
to bare wood and others (where there is shelter) still covered.

Thats why I advise clients to use decking oil - it recoats easily.

Yes, I've been kicking myself for not doing so.

I'd try nitromors. *You can rinse it off with the pressure washer.

Sounds like a good plan - I'll have a go and see.

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/2010 14:07, JamesReed wrote:
Hi

I've got a reasonably new (3 years) deck at the bottom of the garden.
I initially treated it with Cuprinol Decking Treatment, but it's
proved absolute rubbish (has anyone else found this?). It's flaked off
all over, and the result is a real mess with some bits completely back
to bare wood and others (where there is shelter) still covered.

James

Yep, I used it and it is utter tat, the most walked on areas started
wearing after about 3 months. I cleaned it off with a jetwash with the
patio cleaner attachment.

--
Regards
Camdor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JamesReed wrote:
Hi

I've got a reasonably new (3 years) deck at the bottom of the garden.
I initially treated it with Cuprinol Decking Treatment, but it's
proved absolute rubbish (has anyone else found this?). It's flaked off
all over, and the result is a real mess with some bits completely back
to bare wood and others (where there is shelter) still covered.

You need THREE coats of ANY good outdoor sealer to cope with a hard
summer and winter cycle.

And a new coat after the winter: the wood peels and cracks it off. If
its not 100% waterproof.

Sanding is about the only way to remove it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not read the thread, sorry if already mentioned, I assume you can not
use a pressure washer with sand blasting attachment? Decking has a lot
of convoluted edges which might be destroyed or it might work ok?

Whatever you choose to replace it with, use something "overcoatable".