Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extractor Fan Wiring

I've bought an extractor fan for a downstairs utility room / WC. The
room is entirely internal with no external walls though I am able to
run the vent pipe through an adjacent false ceiling so that bits OK.
The fan has a standard run-on timer that would be connected via the
lighting circuit but I would also like to wire in a way to have the
fan on permanently on a low speed with a fan speed controller so that
when the tumble dyer is on (its a condensing model) any excess
moisture can be extracted by the fan running at a low speed. Question
is - is this feasible and if so how ?
TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

aberdeen wrote:
I've bought an extractor fan for a downstairs utility room / WC. The
room is entirely internal with no external walls though I am able to
run the vent pipe through an adjacent false ceiling so that bits OK.
The fan has a standard run-on timer that would be connected via the
lighting circuit but I would also like to wire in a way to have the
fan on permanently on a low speed with a fan speed controller so that
when the tumble dyer is on (its a condensing model) any excess
moisture can be extracted by the fan running at a low speed. Question
is - is this feasible and if so how ?

Best and much easier solution IMHO would be to return the fan and buy a
replacement model with a built-in humidistat, that will deal with any
excess moisture as necessary as opposed to running continuously.

hth
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
aberdeen wrote:
I've bought an extractor fan for a downstairs utility room / WC. The
room is entirely internal with no external walls though I am able to
run the vent pipe through an adjacent false ceiling so that bits OK.
The fan has a standard run-on timer that would be connected via the
lighting circuit but I would also like to wire in a way to have the
fan on permanently on a low speed with a fan speed controller so that
when the tumble dyer is on (its a condensing model) any excess
moisture can be extracted by the fan running at a low speed. Question
is - is this feasible and if so how ?

Best and much easier solution IMHO would be to return the fan and buy a
replacement model with a built-in humidistat, that will deal with any
excess moisture as necessary as opposed to running continuously.

In theory you could use a current relay in conjunction with a delay off
switch/relay. I use this combination to turn our cooker hood on whenever
the electric hob is used.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 May 2010 13:42:59 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be aberdeen
wrote this:-

I've bought an extractor fan for a downstairs utility room / WC. [snip]

I would also like to wire in a way to have the
fan on permanently on a low speed with a fan speed controller so that
when the tumble dyer is on (its a condensing model) any excess
moisture can be extracted by the fan running at a low speed. Question
is - is this feasible and if so how ?

It is entirely feasible. The best thing to do is buy a fan with this
built in. It normally runs at low speed, high speed can be activated
by a pull cord or external signal from lights, humidistat or motion
detector.

Alternatively one just turned on by a humidistat may be a better
solution.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David Hansen
writes
wrote this:-

I've bought an extractor fan for a downstairs utility room / WC. [snip]

I would also like to wire in a way to have the
fan on permanently on a low speed with a fan speed controller so that
when the tumble dyer is on (its a condensing model) any excess
moisture can be extracted by the fan running at a low speed. Question
is - is this feasible and if so how ?

It is entirely feasible. The best thing to do is buy a fan with this
built in. It normally runs at low speed, high speed can be activated
by a pull cord or external signal from lights, humidistat or motion
detector.

Alternatively one just turned on by a humidistat may be a better
solution.

Has anyone any direct experience of using a *humidistat* in a domestic
environment?

I have fitted one in a bathroom to bring in a boost setting on a heat
recovery extract system and have yet to discover if it is effective.

The flat is currently unoccupied and hence unheated. The initial set up
appeared to show the trigger point as around 60% rh and the stat was set
up to 70% to avoid nuisance tripping. When I checked recently, the
trigger and hence the humidity level had moved down to around 50%.

Obviously weather/temperature changes hugely affect rh and I am worried
in case a situation can arise where the fan is trying to dry out the
whole of Hertfordshire and hence not switch off:-(

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , David Hansen
writes
wrote this:-

[...]

I have a humidistat in our new bathroom which controls a dehumidifier built
under a seat and drawing ducted air from a high level. It works very well
set to just under 75%. If the room gets steamy when the shower is in use
for a long time it turns the dehumidifier on, generally just about when I'm
getting out of the shower.

The one we have is basically a strip of material which stretches when damp
connected to a microswitch, very crude but effective although it has quite a
lot of hysteresis.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Calvin Sambrook
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
In message , David Hansen
writes
wrote this:-

[...]

OK both.

I am relieved that I may get away with penny pinching and not buying the
temperature compensated version.

Follow up on the *baffle box* soon.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Wiring a extractor fan Dave UK diy 24 March 14th 07 02:09 PM
extractor fan wiring urchaidh UK diy 4 April 29th 05 01:46 PM
Wiring for extractor fan themirrorballman UK diy 9 January 22nd 05 12:24 PM
Help with extractor wiring please JohnB UK diy 3 November 6th 04 03:28 PM
wiring an extractor fan igloo UK diy 11 January 9th 04 04:18 PM