Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Exploding Lamps

Over the last week or so we've had 3 lamps literally explode into fragments.
Not just go, explode & shower glass everywhere.

One was a 60w incandescent, one a GU10 and the other a cooker hood lamp.
The first exploded when switched on, the others just exploded whilst on.
Not all at the same time mind.

Our power is regularly 250v, can't check right now, left my DMM on a job.
We have a substation at the end of the cul-delsac about 12 houses away.

Any ideas? Some kind of voltage spike?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 21:05:34 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Our power is regularly 250v, can't check right now, left my DMM on a
job.

250 is getting close to the upper limit of 253v. I'd monitor it for a
while (a decent UPS with voltage measuring capability connected to a
PC is handy to log this sort of stuff) and make a complaint.

Any ideas? Some kind of voltage spike?

Could be, do you get visible changes in output from incandescent
lamps?

Your post made me look at the voltage plot here and I find that just
before 2230 last night the volts dropped from about 243 to 228 and
stayed there until 0630 when they recovered back to 240. There where
a couple of other minor drops just after 0700 and nearly 0830 down to
a tad above 230. The overnight drop and the suddenness of it coming
and going is most unusual, did the grid have a whoopsie or was it
something local?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman submitted this idea :
Our power is regularly 250v, can't check right now, left my DMM on a job. We
have a substation at the end of the cul-delsac about 12 houses away.

There seem to be quite a few 230v lamps getting into the country and
they would be well over run at 250v. If you are regularly seeing 250v
then I bet your lamps do not last long anyway, even if 240v and despite
250 being within spec., it might be worth your talking with your
supplier.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Over the last week or so we've had 3 lamps literally explode into
fragments. Not just go, explode & shower glass everywhere.

One was a 60w incandescent, one a GU10 and the other a cooker hood lamp.
The first exploded when switched on, the others just exploded whilst on.
Not all at the same time mind.

Our power is regularly 250v, can't check right now, left my DMM on a job.
We have a substation at the end of the cul-delsac about 12 houses away.

Any ideas? Some kind of voltage spike?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Any neighbours reported anything similar?

The only exploding lamps I have ever seen have been in very cold and wet
conditions apart from one cfl which just exploded at switch on.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Voltage disturbances will almost certainly be local ( below 33Kv) there
are tap changers at 33Kv and higher. You will see grid problems in terms
of frequency long before there will be voltage drops..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Salisbury laid this down on his screen :
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

...and somewhere on the web is a live mains frequency display.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

That and a lot more here
www.bmreports.com (It dosn't seem to like Google Chrome BTW)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message ...
Over the last week or so we've had 3 lamps literally explode into
fragments. Not just go, explode & shower glass everywhere.

One was a 60w incandescent, one a GU10 and the other a cooker hood
lamp. The first exploded when switched on, the others just exploded
whilst on. Not all at the same time mind.

Our power is regularly 250v, can't check right now, left my DMM on a
job. We have a substation at the end of the cul-delsac about 12
houses away. Any ideas? Some kind of voltage spike?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Any neighbours reported anything similar?

I'll have to ask.

The only exploding lamps I have ever seen have been in very cold and
wet conditions apart from one cfl which just exploded at switch on.

Far from it here.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Medway Handyman submitted this idea :
Our power is regularly 250v, can't check right now, left my DMM on a
job. We have a substation at the end of the cul-delsac about 12
houses away.

There seem to be quite a few 230v lamps getting into the country and
they would be well over run at 250v. If you are regularly seeing 250v
then I bet your lamps do not last long anyway, even if 240v and
despite 250 being within spec., it might be worth your talking with
your supplier.

Good point. I had a spate of measuring a while ago & it was frequently
250/252v.

I'll have to start a daily log.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 12, 9:05*pm, "The Medway Handyman" davidl...@no-spam-
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Over the last week or so we've had 3 lamps literally explode into fragments.
Not just go, explode & shower glass everywhere.

One was a 60w incandescent, one a GU10 and the other a cooker hood lamp.
The first exploded when switched on, the others just exploded whilst on.
Not all at the same time mind.

Our power is regularly 250v, can't check right now, left my DMM on a job.
We have a substation at the end of the cul-delsac about 12 houses away.

Any ideas? *Some kind of voltage spike?

Small overvoltages dont cause explosions, they cause reduced filament
life. Arcover as the filament breaks can cause explosion. Are they on
fuses or mcbs?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Over the last week or so we've had 3 lamps literally explode into fragments.
Not just go, explode & shower glass everywhere.

One was a 60w incandescent, one a GU10 and the other a cooker hood lamp.
The first exploded when switched on, the others just exploded whilst on.
Not all at the same time mind.

Our power is regularly 250v, can't check right now, left my DMM on a job.
We have a substation at the end of the cul-delsac about 12 houses away.

Any ideas? Some kind of voltage spike?

A clear case of demonic possession. Have you noticed your wife's head rotating
at all?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

..and somewhere on the web is a live mains frequency display.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Here is one: http://www.dynamicdemand.co.uk/grid.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Over the last week or so we've had 3 lamps literally explode into
fragments. Not just go, explode & shower glass everywhere.

One was a 60w incandescent, one a GU10 and the other a cooker hood
lamp. The first exploded when switched on, the others just exploded
whilst on. Not all at the same time mind.

Our power is regularly 250v, can't check right now, left my DMM on a
job. We have a substation at the end of the cul-delsac about 12
houses away.

Any ideas? Some kind of voltage spike?

Small overvoltages dont cause explosions, they cause reduced filament
life. Arcover as the filament breaks can cause explosion. Are they on
fuses or mcbs?

Fuses

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Over the last week or so we've had 3 lamps literally explode into
fragments. Not just go, explode & shower glass everywhere.

One was a 60w incandescent, one a GU10 and the other a cooker hood
lamp. The first exploded when switched on, the others just exploded
whilst on. Not all at the same time mind.

Our power is regularly 250v, can't check right now, left my DMM on a
job. We have a substation at the end of the cul-delsac about 12
houses away. Any ideas? Some kind of voltage spike?

A clear case of demonic possession. Have you noticed your wife's
head rotating at all?

Only after a few cans of special brew.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex5 presented the following explanation :

..and somewhere on the web is a live mains frequency display.

-- Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Here is one: http://www.dynamicdemand.co.uk/grid.htm

That's the one, thanks.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Over the last week or so we've had 3 lamps literally explode into
fragments. Not just go, explode & shower glass everywhere.

One was a 60w incandescent, one a GU10 and the other a cooker hood
lamp. The first exploded when switched on, the others just exploded
whilst on. Not all at the same time mind.

Our power is regularly 250v, can't check right now, left my DMM on a
job. We have a substation at the end of the cul-delsac about 12
houses away.

Any ideas? Some kind of voltage spike?

Small overvoltages dont cause explosions, they cause reduced filament
life. Arcover as the filament breaks can cause explosion. Are they on
fuses or mcbs?

Fuses

Ah, going to MCBs would mean much quicker blows, fair chance it'd
prevent it happening. Might also be worth checking you've got the
right fuse wire in, not 10A or 15A. And maybe that, as I've seen
before, you don't have more than one fuse parallelled.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex5 wrote:

..and somewhere on the web is a live mains frequency display.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Here is one: http://www.dynamicdemand.co.uk/grid.htm

That frequency in some way represents the frequency of "generators all over the
country". I wonder how much it actually varies throughout the country. I know
they are all locked to the same frequency, but I doubt that the synching is perfect.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 12:13:09 +1200, Gib Bogle
wibbled:

Vortex5 wrote:

..and somewhere on the web is a live mains frequency display.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Here is one: http://www.dynamicdemand.co.uk/grid.htm

That frequency in some way represents the frequency of "generators all
over the country". I wonder how much it actually varies throughout the
country. I know they are all locked to the same frequency, but I doubt
that the synching is perfect.

On *average* it is perfect - think what would happen if one end of the
country became 180 degrees out of phase with the other which would
eventually happen if there was a sustained difference in frequency. There
are phase variations over the grid though.

What does happen though, is due to very long transmission lines, there
can occur oscillations in the phase difference, most pronounced between
southern England and Scotland, but there is no net difference in the
average cycle counts.

The danger with that is if the oscillations become pronounced it can lead
to high currents in the transmission lines with the risks of trips
opening.

Not sure what National Grid do now, but back when the main control room
was in London. there was a device nicknamed "the Scottish
Wobblemeter" (really) that indicated the phase difference between the two
ends of the grid. If that started oscillating, corrective measures may be
needed urgently.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 06:24:07 +0000, Tim Watts wibbled:

Vortex5 wrote:

[...]

BTW - this is why the Interconnectors to France and Ireland are DC - the
impossibility of phase locking to another sizeable system with a weedly
link.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

It boggles the mind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
James Salisbury wrote:
wrote:
On 14 Apr, Gib Bogle wrote:

That frequency in some way represents the frequency of "generators
all over
the country". I wonder how much it actually varies throughout the
country. I know they are all locked to the same frequency, but I
doubt
that the synching is perfect.

They are all connected together so are either synced, or there is a
big bang!

There may be some phase shift around the country, but they are all
locked to
the same frequency, unless there is some break in the national grid.

Larger systems can become unstable when operated as a single grid,
continental Europe (and probably the US) is too large and is not a
single
locked grid.

Actually most of Europe is one grid
http://www.entsoe.eu/index.php?id=10

er actually its five..

and 'one grid' is misleading.

You cant actually have a large area GRID, you can have a large area
interconnected and broadly synchronous zone though.

What is not permissible is a 'ring' as the propagation delays from one
part to another would result in large circulating currents wasting power.

I would say that;

Austria, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Croatia,
Denmark (West), France, FYROM, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy,
Luxemburg, Montenegro, Nederland, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia,
Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Switzerland

Could be seen as _most_ of Europe....

exploding mice..... bob Electronics Repair 10 October 6th 09 02:43 PM
Exploding floor jmagerl Home Repair 8 March 9th 08 10:48 PM
O.T. Making clear lamps into amber lamps NokNokMan Metalworking 14 October 12th 05 05:46 PM
Exploding Shellac? JoeTaxpayer Woodworking 21 August 7th 05 01:40 AM
exploding MDF Jason Woodworking 52 April 16th 05 01:56 AM