DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Remove Broken Stereo Plug (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/301084-remove-broken-stereo-plug.html)

[email protected] April 7th 10 09:24 AM

Remove Broken Stereo Plug

A stereo plug has broken off inside the stereo ( 3.5mm) socket which
is part of a block of 6, on my PC , leaving the tip held in place by
the retaing device .

How can I get it out?.

Any ideas

Parts

Andy Burns[_7_] April 7th 10 09:44 AM

Remove Broken Stereo Plug

wrote:

A stereo plug has broken off inside the stereo ( 3.5mm) socket which
is part of a block of 6, on my PC , leaving the tip held in place by
the retaing device .

How can I get it out?.

sparingly superglue something (e.g cocktail stik, paperclip) to the remnant

Andrew May April 7th 10 09:51 AM

Remove Broken Stereo Plug

Andy Burns wrote:
wrote:

A stereo plug has broken off inside the stereo ( 3.5mm) socket which
is part of a block of 6, on my PC , leaving the tip held in place by
the retaing device .

How can I get it out?.

sparingly superglue something (e.g cocktail stik, paperclip) to the remnant

Depending on the design of the socket and how easy it is to open up the
computer it may be possible and will probably be easier to push it out
from the inside.

Andrew

Dave Plowman (News) April 7th 10 09:59 AM

Remove Broken Stereo Plug

In article ,
Andrew May wrote:
Depending on the design of the socket and how easy it is to open up the
computer it may be possible and will probably be easier to push it out
from the inside.

I've not seen an open frame type used on a PC.

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Andy Burns[_7_] April 7th 10 10:18 AM

Remove Broken Stereo Plug

Andrew May wrote:

Depending on the design of the socket and how easy it is to open up the
computer it may be possible and will probably be easier to push it out
from the inside.

A lot of the motherboards have the sockets completely enclosed in lumps
of plastic, my father managed to break a plug off in his PC.

[email protected] April 7th 10 10:29 AM

Remove Broken Stereo Plug

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 09:44:47 +0100, Andy Burns

A stereo plug has broken off inside the stereo ( 3.5mm) socket which
is part of a block of 6, on my PC , leaving the tip held in place by
the retaing device .

How can I get it out?.

sparingly superglue something (e.g cocktail stik, paperclip) to the remnant

Tried that, used the rump of the old plug, no joy

Parts

Adrian C April 7th 10 10:52 AM

Remove Broken Stereo Plug

On 07/04/2010 10:29, wrote:
On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 09:44:47 +0100, Andy Burns

A stereo plug has broken off inside the stereo ( 3.5mm) socket which
is part of a block of 6, on my PC , leaving the tip held in place by
the retaing device .

How can I get it out?.

sparingly superglue something (e.g cocktail stik, paperclip) to the remnant

Tried that, used the rump of the old plug, no joy

I presume the situation is a bit like this?

(fixed space text cross-section)

ouside | inside

+-----------------+
x1x x2x |=x3x=|
|5mm| back
|=====|
+-----------------+

ouside | inside

It will be unfortunately held in there by the unrestrained contacts x1x
and x2x, so trying to glue it to the 'the rump of the plug' or to a
similar thickish object is best to avoid x1x and x2x knocking it off.

Failing that, you might be able to use a heated needle poking though the
plastic from the back.

--
Adrian C

Bernard Peek April 7th 10 04:30 PM

Remove Broken Stereo Plug

On 07/04/10 09:24, wrote:
A stereo plug has broken off inside the stereo ( 3.5mm) socket which
is part of a block of 6, on my PC , leaving the tip held in place by
the retaing device .

How can I get it out?.

Pushing from the inside would be my best guess. If you can't just
retrieve it with a dab of superglue how about dipping a needle or 1mm
drill in glue and pushing that down inside the barrel of the plug?

jbp April 7th 10 07:40 PM

Remove Broken Stereo Plug

On 7 Apr, 09:24, wrote:
A stereo plug has broken off inside the *stereo ( 3.5mm) socket *which
is part of a block of 6, *on my PC *, leaving the tip held in place by
the retaing device .

How can *I get it out?.

I would take a short length of stiff wire, attach a small solder blob
to one end and allow it to cool. Then insert the wire into the socket
ensuring the solder meets the tip, hold with pliers and heat with the
iron while applying inward pressure. The idea being that the solder
melts inside the socket and attaches the wire to the broken tip. Allow
to cool and (hopefully) remove the wire and attached tip. Use a low
wattage soldering iron and be swift, as otherwise you risk melting the
socket internally.

Joe