Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Remove Broken Stereo Plug

A stereo plug has broken off inside the stereo ( 3.5mm) socket which
is part of a block of 6, on my PC , leaving the tip held in place by
the retaing device .

How can I get it out?.

Any ideas

Parts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew May wrote:
Depending on the design of the socket and how easy it is to open up the
computer it may be possible and will probably be easier to push it out
from the inside.

I've not seen an open frame type used on a PC.

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:

Depending on the design of the socket and how easy it is to open up the
computer it may be possible and will probably be easier to push it out
from the inside.

A lot of the motherboards have the sockets completely enclosed in lumps
of plastic, my father managed to break a plug off in his PC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 09:44:47 +0100, Andy Burns

A stereo plug has broken off inside the stereo ( 3.5mm) socket which
is part of a block of 6, on my PC , leaving the tip held in place by
the retaing device .

How can I get it out?.

sparingly superglue something (e.g cocktail stik, paperclip) to the remnant

Tried that, used the rump of the old plug, no joy

Parts
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jbp jbp is offline

On 7 Apr, 09:24, wrote:
A stereo plug has broken off inside the *stereo ( 3.5mm) socket *which
is part of a block of 6, *on my PC *, leaving the tip held in place by
the retaing device .

How can *I get it out?.

I would take a short length of stiff wire, attach a small solder blob
to one end and allow it to cool. Then insert the wire into the socket
ensuring the solder meets the tip, hold with pliers and heat with the
iron while applying inward pressure. The idea being that the solder
melts inside the socket and attaches the wire to the broken tip. Allow
to cool and (hopefully) remove the wire and attached tip. Use a low
wattage soldering iron and be swift, as otherwise you risk melting the
socket internally.

Joe